Painting Head Sculpt Tutorials

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liuskusuma

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before.

But I was just wondering if somebody can point me to a good video for painting techniques that I can apply to a 1/6 scale heads?

I've tried youtube but no luck.

I never paint a head before, so if you can point me to the NEWBIE guide that teach the basic techniques will be great.

Last edited:
First you go to Home Depot and get a gallon of paint and a 4" brush. Then you.....

:)

You are in the right place, you just need to go through some of the threads here. There are several that address this question. Sorry I don't have any links. If you dig you should find some.

Just slow this down and you'll know everything I know :lol

Frodo_zps0e4df2fc.gif

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've bookmarked them :hi5:.

Anyway here is my first paint ups, I wish I check the links that you gave me before I start, those tips are very helpful.

rtcc.jpg

t9cj.jpg

afmd.jpg

I'm having trouble making lines like the transition from the cowl to the mouth and eye area :gah:. Any tips for those besides having a steady hands?

You could try using "rubber mold builder" from acmoore or michaels to mask off the area you don't want to get paint on. Then just peel it off when your done painting. Rubber mold builder is an air dry liquid latex rubber. You can brush it on with a paint brush, let it dry then paint away, steady hand or not.

That looks great! Very well done!

For small bits like transitions between the cowl I have a pair of craft goggles (magnifying glasses) that really help out. By using them you can see very clearly where the paint is going and then if it passes the test at 6x magnfication you'll be pleased as punch at actual size.

Thanks man, also thanks for the tips.

Anyway here is the particular area that I'm having problem with, no brush small enough to control :monkey2.
I want to paint that area black, but for some reason the it is difficult for me to control the brush, it always touch the skin area.
I guess masking it is the only way to go.

9jmt.jpg

Ah I see... what I do for hair (which is a similar issue) is a make sure the ridge is painted and don't worry to much about getting some slop on the face. If you seal the face first the paint will sometimes wipe away quite easily... if not I just it it with the skin tone until it "dissappears".

You can also mask, but usually masking gets some amount of bleed through and you could always lift off some of the paint if you're unlucky.

Don't know if it's the best method, but I just assume I'll have to touch up the skin tone before it's all said and done.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

But I was just wondering if somebody can point me to a good video for painting techniques that I can apply to a 1/6 scale heads?

I've tried youtube but no luck.

I never paint a head before, so if you can point me to the NEWBIE guide that teach the basic techniques will be great.

Oh hey I did one.
YouTube: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSO6NTOhL8[/ame]

Anyway here is the particular area that I'm having problem with, no brush small enough to control :monkey2.
I want to paint that area black, but for some reason the it is difficult for me to control the brush, it always touch the skin area.

9jmt.jpg

You could use a very fine tip black pen but it might not match up and it might bleed still on to the skin.
As gb said paint it black as carefully as possible getting minimul black on to the skin part and go over with several coats with flesh colour.
Easier to "cut in" to the black section than paint that black slither preciseley.
Good tutorials;)

@GDB
Yup, I found your video online and it has been very helpfull, especially in getting the skin tone. Thanks man.

@sparkstron73
Thanks for the tips, I will try that on my next batman. Still have the Battle Damage version to be done :peace.

Looks good better than my first attempts at painting.
Like the flesh tone and teeth came out well.

9jmt.jpg

Here's a thought. May or may not work on this head. Coat the area in Dullcote, paint the black as best you can. Give it a sec but don't let it dry. Then pull out your trusty Exactoknife knife and lightly scrape off excess black. Just be sure not to scrape off the flesh paint.

Back