Overpriced/underpriced statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderjew69

Super Freak
Reaction score
Always wondered why some statues I feel underwhelming command such a high aftermarket price... and others I think are good are surprisingly affordable. What are some statues you guys think are over or under priced?

OVER. Wolverine pf $699+ Spiderman pf $800+
UNDER. Thing pf $300/spiderman bib comiquette $400/

Just my thoughts...

We're all entitled to feel certain pieces are underwhelming and go for too much, but at the end of the day all that matters is the natural demand.

Spidey and Wolverine cost that much because there was a real demand built for them over time, and the prices you listed are what people will willingly pay. I don't think it's up to date, but check myauctionreports.com for eBay history to see how the demand on these increased. Those prices actually rose. I remember buying a mint, unopened Wolverine for below retail. Since then more X-Men have come out, several are Fail, and Wolverine and his PJs are that much more desirable. Plus, it's Wolverine, it's a SS PF, and that combo is enough.

There's also new collectors, and the want their favorite characters they missed out on. If you posted Spidey at $800 I bet you wouldn't have a hard time finding a buyer. The buyer would find you.

Plus, with DC PFs now were getting higher ES on the Regs and Ex. It makes the older, more limited Marvel pieces more desirable. There's 2000 EX of DC's most popular character, Batman. There's only 650 EX of Marvel's most popular, Spider-Man. A few of them are surely broken by now. And many of them are in permanent homes...mine ain't going nowhere. All that drives up value.

But you still have to go by what actually sells. The main occurance of over priced statues are the ones that aren't released yet but on eBay for more, or the ones newly released posted for way too much. Like the $800+ Rhinos right now. No real demand has driven those prices up.

BiB seems to be rising in price as it gets older. I think the Spidey Com overshadowed it for a bit, but it's still the more affordable alternative for those who want a recognizable Spidey from SS. As more people realize this, the price will go up.

For any of these, the eBay posting aren't anything to go by. Those Spidey Coms at $1200 have been sitting there and are no indicator of anything. We see the prices and say "that's what it's selling for", but it's not really selling. It's sitting and we just keep seeing it.

But Thing got snubbed. It's all I can say about that one. I have it and it's awsome. If the other FF get PFs, people will want this one.

Good stuff peedi.... I know all to well about value vs worth as coming to the show late and buying expensive statues because I missed out on them. But the ones I paid top dollar for (cap pf for example) I got no regrets. He is IMO the version of cap to have even if they crank out 2 others. Do you think that the high es of the DC statues will hurt them? Or do you guys view it as a good thing since more collecters can have

Good stuff peedi.... I know all to well about value vs worth as coming to the show late and buying expensive statues because I missed out on them. But the ones I paid top dollar for (cap pf for example) I got no regrets. He is IMO the version of cap to have even if they crank out 2 others. Do you think that the high es of the DC statues will hurt them? Or do you guys view it as a good thing since more collecters can have

DCD had no problem selling their statues and the numbers on those were higher than sideshow's

I agree the Wolverine PF is overpriced considering it only came out 3 years ago.
Spider-Man PF is not so overpriced, because it came out in 2006, and is the most popular Marvel character.

The Thing is priced so low because he isn't a very popular character.
The BIB Spider-Man is fairly low priced because it is essentially a modified recast of the Iron Spider-Man, a reworked previous statue. A lot of people only like to pay top dollar for a totally new sculpt on a new statue.

Black Panther PF is seriously under rated and that is negatively affecting value.

Agreed. Even before I read your post I was thinking of the most undervalued/underated, and the Black Panther PF did not even come to mind, like it was a sleeper.

IMO, I have to say, arguably the BP PF is the most under rated SS piece out there.

Talking of Wolverine being over priced on here. I managed to get an Ex one Of onix36div for a really good price. I can't wait to get this. I've got Batman coming my favourite DC character, Wolverine my favourite Marvel character. Next pay day hopefully I'll be buying Judge Dredd my favourite character from 2000AD. I had a massive 1/6 collection at one point but there all gone. It's good seeing my 1/4 collection slowly starting to grow.

Thanks Shoo. Conformed I'm a dumb *** :lecture
When I do a search on my phone its useless. I thought there must of been one on here though :)

Back