Oscar crap.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticPredator

Super Freak
Reaction score
Post whatever. Here. Whatever.

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013...841309007118":"news.reads"}&action_ref_map=[]

Seems about right.

Chris Pizzello/AP Images
When it was announced that "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane would host the 85th Annual Academy Awards, many were skeptical. Could a man best known for voicing a psychotic cartoon baby have what it takes to play master of ceremonies at Hollywood's biggest night?
Short answer: Nope.
Sure, MacFarlane entered to large applause (though it's worth noting that Robert Downey Jr. didn't appear to clap). The host even received a big laugh when he joked that he was beginning his mission to get the notoriously grumpy Tommy Lee Jones to (Jones immediately laughed, as did everyone else). Good start.
[ Photos: The best and worst red carpet looks ]
MacFarlane tried to balance self-deprecating humor with digs at the nominees. He joked that it was an honor that everyone else who was asked to host the Oscars said no. He also acknowledged right off the bat that he wasn't going to be as good as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were as co-hosts of The Golden Globes. True.
He joked that "Argo" was based on a true story top secret that the Academy didn't even know who directed the film (a burn toward those who snubbed Ben Affleck for Best Director). He also joked that "Amour" could just as easily be called "This Is 90." And he wondered if Jodie Foster was going to show up and ask for her privacy, seeing as more than a billion people around the world were set to watch. But then things quickly went downhill.
Of "Django Unchained," a film about a man's quest to free his wife from unspeakable horrors, he cracked it a lot like date night between Chris Brown and Rihanna. That was met by stony silence. He then suggested that the film's screenplay, in which the N-word is uttered countless times, was based on Mel Gibson's voicemails. Mel Gibson jokes in 2013 are about five years past their tell-by date. More silence.
That was when William Shatner (in character as Capt. James T. Kirk) showed up on the video screen. He said he was from the future and here to save MacFarlane from being an even worst host than he already was. Shatner showed a pseudo-skit from the future in which MacFarlane, with help from the Los Angeles Gay Men's Chorus, sings, "We've Seen Your Boobs." The song-and-dance number was meant to be fake-awkward. Instead, it was real-awkward.
The off-color jokes continued with a skit of MacFarlane, dressed like the Flying Nun, hitting on Sally Field. Things perked up with a sock-puppet reenactment of the plane-crash from "Flight." But then MacFarlance pushed his luck, quipping that he loved Denzel Washington. At least, he loved him in "The Nutty Professor" movies, starring Eddie Murphy. Cue the awkward boos.
But initial tracking showed MacFarlane's opening monologue was well received in social media. During the opening there were nearly 3,000 tweets per minute specifically mentioning MacFarlane, per Attensity Media. The overall reaction was positive with a 2-to-1 ratio of positive tweets to negative ones.
Still, celeb feedback from Twitter wasn't kind either. Comedian Colin Quinn chimed in almost immediately. "Not trying to be conceited but listening to myself think is more interesting than the whole Oscars put together," he tweeted. Steve Martin tweeted, "Congratulations to Seth Rogan on a great monologue."
It can only get better, right? We hope. We hope.

Funniest thing in the Oscars.

sGsCfGQ.gif

My wife had it on the TV, so I watched part of it. I don't like Macfarlane or anything he's done very much, but I didn't think it was all that bad. He said intentionally offensive things that were bound to get that kind of reaction, but unless the producers of the show were complete dopes they should have known it was going to happen. I thought it was much funnier than previous Oscars I remember watching with unfunny, but pleasant and unoffensive hosts like Billy Crystal. The show is a meaningless sham from top to bottom anyway, so who cares?

I've given up on the Oscars, even though I'm a filmmaker. It used to be very exciting and something to be held in high standards. Boy has it fallen. A lot of the films I will never see, too many foreign films and their choices for hosts is terrible. I don't care for McFarlane either, so that was a big non-watch for me this year.

I was happy with most of the wins. Especially Jennifer's. I felt bad for her but to be honest, I'd probably have tripped, too, and then fallen back down the stairs after making it up.

I used to love watching the Oscars but I hate the movies they pick so much anymore. Just make sure your movie comes out towards the end of the year and nobody watches it and you're a shoe-in for a nomination.

And I'm pissed the Hobbit won......NOTHING.

Yeah, the fact that a disproportionate number of movies elected come in the last quarter of the year leading up to the awards or whatever is so lame. Just like anyone else, the Academy have short attention spans I guess, and if it isn't new, then it's forgotten crap. Ridiculous that Avengers and Dark Knight Rises didn't get more nominations for something, but not all that surprising.

I've given up on the Oscars, even though I'm a filmmaker. It used to be very exciting and something to be held in high standards. Boy has it fallen. A lot of the films I will never see, too many foreign films and their choices for hosts is terrible. I don't care for McFarlane either, so that was a big non-watch for me this year.

You call your self a film maker yet you complain about to many foreign films? Umm what? You do realize some of the best films come from anywhere, but the US right? Seriously open your mind and check out a few you might be highly surprised.

Also didn't Jennifer say she tripped on purpose? Thought I read that somewhere. Either way I would have been glad to help her up :lol

Back