Open Call for Tailors/Costumers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Ellis

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Kevin Ellis and I am the head of the Costume Fabrication department for Sideshow Collectibles. The Sideshow Freaks Board has long fostered a subset of the collecting community whose passion extends beyond collecting. These artists have come together to share not only their art and talent, but also tips and advice from all aspects of the customizing community. The collaborations between many of these artists have given birth to some stunning creations.

As the customizing section has grown and developed, we have been fortunate to establish many fruitful working relationships with very talented artists. The Costume Fabrication department alone has had the great pleasure of working with many of the well-known tailors on the board. As Sideshow grows and the bar is set ever higher, we are looking to develop more of these relationships.

As such, we are issuing an open call for tailors to submit portfolios to [email protected]. The Senior Costume Fabrication Artist and I will be personally reviewing each portfolio in an effort to continually expand our pool of resources. We are looking for people with experience sewing and pattern making, so please provide examples of both in your portfolios. Please make sure to include your full name, your Freaks’ board name, and where you are located in the body of the email, as well as “Costume Fabrication Portfolio” in the subject header. Thank you, and we look forward to working with more and more of the customizing community.

Sincerely,
Kevin Ellis

Good on you Kevin (and Sideshow) for looking to this forum to improve your product. Many, many talented tailors on this site. Might you consider opening up your search for sculptors? Many, many talented artists here in that regards too.

:wave

Agree it's great to see Sideshow reaching out to the tailoring community. SS has tremendous resources and a huge following. I'm also hoping they seriously consider reaching out to the sculpting community. If they could get their 1:6 headsculpts on par with HT and EB -- with all the licenses they hold and could pick up -- they would absolutely own the high end figure market.

Hello all,

My name is Kevin Ellis and I am the head of the Costume Fabrication department for Sideshow Collectibles. The Sideshow Freaks Board has long fostered a subset of the collecting community whose passion extends beyond collecting. These artists have come together to share not only their art and talent, but also tips and advice from all aspects of the customizing community. The collaborations between many of these artists have given birth to some stunning creations.

As the customizing section has grown and developed, we have been fortunate to establish many fruitful working relationships with very talented artists. The Costume Fabrication department alone has had the great pleasure of working with many of the well-known tailors on the board. As Sideshow grows and the bar is set ever higher, we are looking to develop more of these relationships.

As such, we are issuing an open call for tailors to submit portfolios to [email protected]. The Senior Costume Fabrication Artist and I will be personally reviewing each portfolio in an effort to continually expand our pool of resources. We are looking for people with experience sewing and pattern making, so please provide examples of both in your portfolios. Please make sure to include your full name, your Freaks’ board name, and where you are located in the body of the email, as well as “Costume Fabrication Portfolio” in the subject header. Thank you, and we look forward to working with more and more of the customizing community.

Sincerely,
Kevin Ellis

Hi Kevin

My name is Gwen, I have been making 1/6th scale costumes since 1994 when i was taking barbie patterns and manipulating them to make my marilyn doll patterns. at that time i was making leather furniture around foam core board. Now that i have moved from fashion dolls to action figures I have done custom costumes for some G.I. Joe figures I made for customers I made Cover Girl, Scarlett and Destro. Im curently working on Doc and Breaker.
Latter im planning to do fashions for Sam and Dean Winchester plus Mary winchester from the 70's flashback episodes. I took pattern drafting classes and I have a pattern drafting book which the samples are 1/6th scale. So it makes my job easier. I have done custom patterns when I made my vintage GA/SA catwoman and SA batwoman and SA batgirl. the batman patterns I Improved past my humble prototypes.
So I study pics and determine from seams i can see how to make the pattern and im usually good at a 1st go since i can take human sized clothes and shrink them down to 1/6 scale.
I wish their was a better way to load pics Id show you what I have.

Hey groovy:

Kevin Ellis said:
we are issuing an open call for tailors to submit portfolios to [email protected]

Email your portfolio to the address provided. If you can't figure out how to attach photo's to an email do a google search. If you are serious about them considering your work you had better do the research necessary to get your foot in the door.

It's already sent I thought i had to upload them here until I re-read the post. So I know how to forward from my email. It wasn't a techno issue it was a misread on my part since im use to double space typing.Blog text takes some getting use to since im in college and using mla and apa. Try doing that on a daily basis and come on this site.Its very easy to get lost in translation. My facebook was full and i don't fully trust photobucket for my pics since if they drop it its lost to people to view them. I did just figure out how to use them from my computer but it takes forever.

Hi Kevin,

I just saw this call and I'm passing the info on to my wife Lynne who is a trained pattern maker and former Hollywood costumer.
She has done miniature samples and patterns for DC Deluxe Figures and other DC Direct characters.
Everything from animatronics ,corsets, and costumes to clothes for vintage dolls.
A fun day in the shop...
Lynneatwork2-1.jpg

She's helped me make my dream of having a '66 Batman cowl a reality!!Vintage custom dyed fabric.
Adam West owns one and has called it "a work of Art!".

Here it is on the bust I sculpted...

PB160173b.jpg

Her Robin costume all made with vintage fabrics from a fabric supplier to the show.
PA050025b.jpg

She also made a friends dream of owning a replica Lynda Carter Wonder Woman costume a reality!!
wwcostumefinished.jpg

wwcapeback.jpg

Here we are in a pair of original '66 Bat-suits owned by a friend! She took patterns of both.

WilliamsStudio2seal.jpg

Hope to talk soon,
Chuck...

Last edited:
Man, that's some incredible work!

Don't know how often Kevin checks this thread... you might consider sending a PM as well :duff

Back