Onlive Game System - Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shropt

My Little Mod
Reaction score
Being released on December 2nd, 2010.

Onlive Game System is a new way of gaming where you play the game off a server somewhere instead of having the system.

Price is $99.99 which includes "system", one controller, and 1 free game of your choice!

Check the details here:

https://www.onlive.com/

Here's the list of launch titles which are actually impressive:

https://www.onlive.com/games/featuredgames#aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You can even pay for the service and play games on your PC or Mac. One very interesting thing is the system can use existing PC game USB controllers so this COULD mean that the xbox controller would work.

Anyone getting this?

Looks kewl. All games would need to be HD and I think a bit cheaper since you have no physical disk that you can sell off or trade later to recoupe some money.

I think it's pretty cool, I've tried it and it actually runs really well on the computer--and they got rid of the fee to use the service, now you just pay for the games.

As long as the internet infrastructure continues to improve, I think something like this will be the future of gaming. Plus--besides all the game they've got, they'll be adding games that can only be played on their service---by using the networked computers, they have way more power available for games, so they can have graphics way beyond what even the best gaming PC's are capable of. As long as they can get developers on board to use it

I like the concept and from reading some recent impressions, the system actually works well. I'm not ready to commit just yet, but I hope it succeeds.

That being said, I think it's doomed. I have the feeling that they're a bit too early with this sort of tech.

Wow, I'm happy you guys are open to this. I thought this would be bashed to hell once I posted this.

Seems like this may just work. Too bad I haven't seen a single commercial or advertisement for this on TV.

Wow, I'm happy you guys are open to this. I thought this would be bashed to hell once I posted this.

Seems like this may just work. Too bad I haven't seen a single commercial or advertisement for this on TV.

I actually saw a commercial--but it was a really really crappy commercial

This thing SHOULD be amazing. As long as the streaming works this should be better than the PS3 and Xbox combined.

I saw a tv ad for this recently (don't remember when or where though)! Didn't really make an impression on me, but I bet it's tough selling a concept like this in under a minute.

Well, I the commercial I saw was for the standalone device you have to buy and plug into your TV--I think it's more important that they can stream this to any computer, and probably mobile devices sometime--they just need to make phones with good game controls(touch screen doesn't cut it) and it would be amazing

And if you haven't tried it, I recommend you do--it's free to use and every game has a 30 minute trial period so you can get a good idea of how it runs. And it is in HD--720p, just like most games render on consoles.

I think people are open to it because it's starting to look like MS and Sony are going this route as well. This is a lot of speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox and/or PS4 will have this type of service featured as well as pushing the sales of games digitally through LIVE and PSN.

I hope this takes off because more competition means better products for us in the long run.

Last edited:
I think people are open to it because it's starting to look like MS and Sony are going this route as well. This is a lot of speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox and/or PS4 will have this type of service featured as well as pushing the sell of games digitally through LIVE and PSN.

I hope this takes off because more competition means better products for us in the long run.

No doubt they will, you can take that to the bank.

OMG!! U suck! Ur post is lame!! ____ u! :mad:

Bashing fulfilled! :wave

Sometimes I'm glad that I only have access to a crappy DSL connection. I don't even have to think about something like this being added to my budget. Yay for a less than one megabit download speed!

This is all well and good until Comcast gets into their pockets like they are trying to do with Netflix. This service will ultimately fail or at least flounder for several years due to the war between Comcast and Netflix where if Comcast wins then the prices will increase. This may also cramp MS and Sony's plans for digital content releases.

Back