Old time bodybuilder Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*sigh*

I wasn't admitting to anything. I was going with your mentality concerning the issue, and btw I wasn't condoning it. The guy was just in defense mode, because some guys said some hurtful things about something he loves and does himself... Most on this forum, including yourself would have reacted the same way. Is it right? No. Two wrongs don't make a right, but seriously man, you need to grow up.

Exactly. There is no need to argue semantics here, both were in the wrong... But the guy has the right to like whatever he likes and to be able to post it here without being heckled. He reacted strongly, but it was a bit harshly responded to.

Let's just move on guys... :peace

And Collector49... I saw the posts that were deleted, it was a whole section of posts. Not just yours, but I think the mod that deleted them was right for doing so. I've had it happen to me even, so don't feel attacked... happens to us all.

Exactly. There is no need to argue semantics here, both were in the wrong... But the guy has the right to like whatever he likes and to be able to post it here without being heckled. He reacted strongly, but it was a bit harshly responded to.

Let's just move on guys... :peace

And Collector49... I saw the posts that were deleted, it was a whole section of posts. Not just yours, but I think the mod that deleted them was right for doing so. I've had it happen to me even, so don't feel attacked... happens to us all.

Such a great character guy Josh! Thus why you're so loved on here. btw You never did answer my question concerning that Joker shirt. hehe :monkey3

Such a great character guy Josh! Thus why you're so loved on here. btw You never did answer my question concerning that Joker shirt. hehe :monkey3

I'm sorry bro... that PM box keeps calling me and I keep putting it off. The shirt is $20 and will be ordered soon, if you have the money now and want the upgrade... send it to my paypal. It's [email protected].

And the Jokers are getting done too, I just finished 3 today. :duff

I'm sorry bro... that PM box keeps calling me and I keep putting it off. The shirt is $20 and will be ordered soon, if you have the money now and want the upgrade... send it to my paypal. It's [email protected].

And the Jokers are getting done too, I just finished 3 today. :duff

woooo Mine must be different from all others. Must have a unique and different looking piece.

btw Can I send a MO again? hehe

btw I am so making you sign and date that base.. it's getting it's very own enclosed displayed unit. Gonna display mine with pride, better than anyone else who will display their Josh Joker. I'll show them.. eat crow other Josh Joker owners.. eat crow.

btw Josh, on topic, have you been to a show before? The women fitness competitions rock. The females all look like females, and are nicely toned.

You don't know anything about me from a handful of posts on an internet forum. I don't want to be the next Shai or anything. I was around for the thread before all the posts were deleted. I read the conversation as it was.

Anyway, I say we move on and forget this and try to be positive. I think for the most part a lot of us are good guys. Some just misunderstood, and sorry if I misunderstood your character. These forums should be fun, and all the BS of the world should be left behind. I need to concentrate working more on that myself. btw I see you're a DareDevil fan. Here's to SideShow making their next premium format, DD! :)

btw I see you're a DareDevil fan. Here's to SideShow making their next premium format, DD! :)

I think we are going to see a DD vs. Bullseye diorama before we see a premium format. I know one was in the planning stages a while back.

But I wouldn't turn down either one.

No offense, but I dont think theres a market for high -ends statues of those guys.

Not a problem Eli... that is perfectly fine by me. And I am definitely working on a way of making yours unique and different from the rest for sure. Don't know yet what that will entail, but it will be something. And I have never been to a show myself, but I've known people who worked really hard for competition and it's insane what he went through to get there.

And Shai I think is right, as nice as it would be... I doubt there is a market for it.

No offense meant Shai. You seem to have staked the claim as the board hard-a$$. I have no intent of challenging it. :lol

No offense meant Shai. You seem to have staked the claim as the board hard-a$$. I have no intent of challenging it. :lol

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

I think that even when Shai dies, this label will have to be mounted and placed in his coffin with him. Along with all of his concubines and the heads of those who displeased him. :rock

No offense, but I dont think theres a market for high -ends statues of those guys.
Maybe not on this forum! but Body building is like any other sport. They got fans everywhere. but you might be right. cause i sure wouldnt care for Baseball PFs or any other sports statue

Well maybe a Manning PF.

Maybe not on this forum! but Body building is like any other sport. They got fans everywhere. but you might be right. cause i sure wouldnt care for Baseball PFs or any other sports statue

Well maybe a Manning PF.

Lemieux PF for me! :rock

I'm sure a Arnold statue would sell.

The rest, prolly not.

But Greek, Spartan and roman mythology would and would be awesome.

the way I see it is that these bodybuilders are the Greek and roman ideal.

heracles0406.jpg

jason_fleece.jpg

0482.jpg

look at how the Greeks payed tribute to their myths (gods and mortal) by making statues of them.

These bodybuilders are ideal for that look.
also A lot of these bodybuilders played in many sword and saddle fantasy movies, so it would be easy to adapt their look to a different look if desired.

Some bodybuilders would look better as different gods or mortals.

I prefer the Apollonian look over the herculean (but I still greatly admire the herculean look)
and the original slate or foundation of these two looks/inspiration goes back to Reeves and Park

Park, Arnold, Franco, ect.. = Herculean physique, mass, strength and power.

Reeves, Zane, ect... = Apollonian physique, physical beauty, lines and aesthetics.

Coleman, and the reat of todays roid/HGH bodybuilders = Monstrous mass physique,freaky, chemical abuse, miss-shaped ugliness, unhuman.

Look at Reeves he looks like he was created through an affair by Zeus and Alcmene!

To me he will always be the optimal physique.
He's the one and only.

aneas.jpg

trojanhorse.JPG

herc.JPG

2221299331_c2b248ca71.jpg

reeves.jpg

The Gods of Ancient Greece

For as long as I can remember the Greek gods have had a profound influence on me. To this day I still remember all the movies I saw as a child in which Steve Reeves, the Arnold Schwarzernegger of those days, portrayed the amazing feats of the greatest of all legendary heroes, Hercules. Undoubtedly, this was how I was first introduced to the gods of ancient Greece and ever since I have lived under their spell.

Greek mythology originated in the Bronze Age on the shores of Crete and the forbidding citadels of the Argolid. It has since then permeated the whole of Western culture and greatly influenced the way the world perceives human and natural beauty. Who hasn't heard of the Oedipus complex, of Aphrodite, of Artemis, of Apollo, of Zeus, to name but a few of the Greek gods and goddesses. Who hasn't at least once in their lives referred to the Apollo spacecrafts and the Saturn and Poseidon missiles. And what about the stars? Many of them are named after Greek gods as well.

It is a fact that nowadays Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism occupy the minds of a far greater number of people than does Greek mythology but although the Greek gods have lost some of their power, they continue to send up springs and fountains that inspire, mould and enrich our imagination. Unwittingly, we still respond to the gods and goddesses, nymphs and heroes of ancient Greece because they appeal to some instinctual needs in us and respond to realities that go beyond the visible world. It is not through the cold prism of our rational mind that we must view these realities but by abandoning ourselves to our primeval urges, rediscovering the thread between the old legends and our present lives that will reveal their true meaning.

'Everything is full of Gods' (Thales)

The ancient Greeks lived their lives in the daily presence of the divine and could not conceive of a world without gods. Greek thinking was characterized by personification, for it was by personifying psychic powers that men's hearts and not just their minds could be acted upon. These gods had to be worshipped and propitiated if favours were to be obtained and it is well known that that was precisely what happened in every Greek city. Throughout Greece are to be found vestiges of ancient temples, altars and sanctuaries dedicated to the gods of Victory, Fortune, Friendship, Mercy, Peace etc., that attest to the active presence of supernatural powers in this ancient land.

The gods roamed the earth, clad in mist, in different guises, watched over the mortals, pronounced judgments over them, favouring some with wealth and happiness and taking them away from others. They come to the help of warriors, stirring their spirit and kindling their courage, making faltering limbs strong again. But contrary to Christian phenomena, such divine interventions are not seen as miracles but rather as the very essence of daily occurrences because these gods are seen as the source of being and reality.

The guardian quality of the gods is compellingly depicted in the Atlas Metope from the temple of Zeus at Olympia. It shows Herakles (Hercules) taking over the support of the world from Atlas. He seems to be crushed by the sheer weight on his shoulders but benevolent Athena steps behind him and with incomparable dignity of posture gently touches the burden wihtout being seen by Herakles. Suddenly, he seems to acquire new strength and performs his task with apparent ease.

Athena always intervenes at crucial moments to help the heroes she favours and protects. In the Odyssey, Homer relates how she preferred Odysseus to all other men for in her eyes he was as foremost, both in counsel and speech, as she was wise and clever. As a result of these winning traits, Odysseus wins Athena's protection at all times through all his trials. The ancients did every thing they could to win similar favours from their favourite gods and if we are tempted to laugh at such stories and dismiss them as childish, we only have to analyse our own words at times of great trials and tribulation. Don't we sometimes use the expression: 'This calamity has brought out the best in him', or 'I never thought I had the strength to do this' or 'he lifted this heavy load with bare hands'. When gods are seen in this light, they awaken in all of us hidden powers, great capacities to perform amazing miracles and undergo transcendental transformation.

'We make our destinies by our choice of Gods' (Virgil)

Modern psychologists now know what Virgil and the Ancients have always known instinctively. Our being is an arena where contending foes battle for supremacy. The Christians may have replaced the Greek gods with one omniscient and omnipotent god, but we are at heart still pagans. The state of bliss and holiness implied by Christian beliefs remains at best a pipedream for most of us. It is only when all the conflicting aspects of our personality are resolved into our true self that we will indeed have reached the real Eden. But in the meantime, we may describe our kingdom i.e. our Being, as a battlefield on which contending gods fight for our victory or defeat. All we can do is to recognize their emotional power over us, attend to them and propitiate them as best we can. Failing to do so would be foolhardy for the gods do rise and avenge themselves if neglected. Freud used new terms like complexes, archetypes, superegos etc. to describe these various states of mind we often find ourselves in but they all seem to lack the emotional content and immediacy that such forces evoke in us when they are referred to as gods and goddesses.

Antagonism among the gods runs through the whole of Greek mythology. The conflict between Apollo and Dionysos - between the need for order, balance and clarity and the yearning for freedom, ecstasy and exuberance - has provided a rich source of inspiration for countless writers in the West. These Apollonian and Dionysian qualities can be found in the same man at different stages of his life. What the Greek myths and Greek tragedy shows us in vivid terms is that unless both gods are given their due, they are bound to exact a heavy price on their victim. The Greeks took such a reconciliation of these two opposing forces very seriously and even institutionalized it in Delphi. Apollo's shrine was at Delphi but in winter it was occupied by Dionysos and the Dionysian festival was officially sanctioned with a band of Maenads.

It is important not to incur the wrath of the gods by refusing to recognize their separate claims on us. In other words, we have to propitiate all the contending gods and not favour one to the exclusion of all the others. A rejected god goes underground but sooner or later resurfaces to wreak havoc in us as happens in Euripides' Bacchae where the grim feast Dionysos demands climaxes in a mother's ritual killing of her son under the god's manic influence. Similarly, in Aeschylus' Bassarids, Orpheus neglects his worship for that of the sun and is therefore torn to pieces by the followers of the rejected god. Various religions have imposed a number of restrictions on man's natural urges and in so doing have given rise to a number of fatal dysfunctions and psychoses that have no other outlet but in death and destruction. The Ancient Greeks recognized the foolishness of the attempt to choke off and deny the elemental forces in man and provided a release for all his urges for fear of becoming mad. They too had their favourite god to whom they paid their primary allegiance but did not forget to pay their dues to the rest of their inner pantheon.
'God moves as the beloved moves the lover' (Aristotle)

In Hesiod's Theogony, Eros is the first god born out of Chaos at the beginning of creation. He represents the energy that is always present in nature, the source of all relationships and procreation. Eros appeared before the Olympian gods for it was he who embodied the spirit of relatedness without which only divisions and separatedness would exist. In later Greek mythology Eros is transformed into the son of Aphrodite (the goddess of love) and Ares (the god of war). To this day, people are said to fall in love, their hearts pierced by Cupid's (Roman name for Eros) arrows.

Eros is the god that compels us to seek physical love and go beyond it in the quest for the mysterious forces of life. He is the force that rules over both our primordial nature and our highest spiritual longings. It's no use trying to either possess him or even understand his nature although he has overwhelming control over our lives. Plato wrote that it is from the love of visible, physical beauty that stems the urge man feels for 'the beyond'. This great power impels the soul in a kind of divine madness that eventually leads it to the truth. In the Symposium, Plato refers to the highest form of birth engendered by Eros as being self-birth in the 'rebirth of the initiate as a divine being'. Eros manifests himself in man's passionate desire to love and possess another physically, in his attraction toward divine rebirth and immortality. Although he is the oldest of the gods, he is the life-force behind everything that happens in the universe.

'That which is above is as that which is below' (Hermetica)
According to Herodotus, it was 'Hesiod and Homer who provided the Greeks with a theogony, gave the gods their names, distinguished their attributes and functions, and defined the various types.' But it was Homer who gave the ancient Greeks the brilliant, clear-cut, full-fledged figures of the twelve Olympians whom we call to mind whenever we think of the Hellenic spirit. These gods were venerated by the Greeks in their daily lives at various altars and temples and when Alexander reached India, he erected an altar to the twelve Olympians to mark the easternmost limit of his dominion. The twelve Olympians (actually fourteen in all) were: Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hermes, Athena, Demeter, Hephaistos, Hestia, Dionysos and Hades. To keep the number to twelve, Hestia, the goddess of the hearth, was often left at home to make a place for Dionysos, who was a later admission to the circle of the Olympians. And Hades, the brother of Zeus and Poseidon, was permanently consigned to the Underworld.

It would be an impossible feat to describe in this short account of the gods of ancient Greece all the myths and legends attributed to them as well as to the innumerable chtonic (subterranean) deities, local spirits or demons whose cults went back far earlier than the Homeric poems and whom the people continued to worship for such a long time. Suffice it to say that the Greeks could not see a river without seeing a river god, a forest without thinking of dryads, a spring without seeing a Naiad who dwelt there. To understand the Greek psyche, it is as essential to descend to the chtonic depths as it is to reach the very top of Mt. Olympus.

As we take the time to read about the legendary gods of Greece, their strengths and weaknesses, we will find ourselves more and more drawn to them for they are not impersonal gods that live in a remote heaven but are rooted right here on earth. When, like the ancients, we search for the gods in the events of our lives, in our feelings, attitudes and motives, we discover in the turmoil of our inner conflicts secret meanings and a rich source of creative possibilities. It is the rich imagination of man that gave rise to the Twelve Olympians but by a strange process of the mind it is they who have shaped Western thought and culture to such a point that the poet cannot yet conceive of beauty or truth without waxing Homeric and of love without thinking Platonic. However hard we try to move away from Greece, mysterious forces beyond our control seem to pull us back to its shores. We long to hear of Odysseus and his ordeals, of Herakles (Hercules) and the golden apples of the Hesperides and countless other legends that have thrilled us when we were children. The very name of Delos, Lesbos, Mykonos, Santorini make one dream of adventures in remote times, of Aprhodite and her irresistible spells, of Dionysos and Bacchanalian feasts in lush vineyeards and olive groves. Greece indeed has enough lore and lure to attract and retain the most demanding of poets for who can resist the charm of Sapho, the immortal appeal of Homer, the incomparable beauty of Helen of Troy who, in the words of Christopher Marlowe, "launched a thousand ships and burnt the topless towers of Illyrium." The Greek Gods are still with us and in spite of our professed faith in the one Christian God, the Twelve Olympians will always reign supreme in our essential pagan hearts.

Because I am not the dick some people might think by reading my posts, I am going to attempt to help you out here Warrioe-sage.

The closest thing I have ever seen to what you are talking about, is The Gods series of busts by Rocco Tartamella. He is an amazing sculptor, and his products are top notch. However, his sculpts are original concepts and not based on the bodybuilders you list. Here is his website... https://www.roccotartamella.com/

I am afraid if you are truly committed to seeing statues made from the likenesses of your favorite bodybuilders, you are going to have to have them custom made. You aren't going to find the kind of support backing these statues on this or any of the other forums you are posting this same material on. These forums are for pop culture collectors primarily. Posting this here is almost a complete waste of your time, sad but true.

If you have the money (think $1000 or more per sculpt), I can point you in the direction of some really amazing sculptors who would produce some custom statues for you. I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for.

you guys have a distorted perspective if you ask me.

i get the strong feeling that the guys who think bbing is gay are fat or tiny, only a skinny or fat ^^^^^^ would say something like that. i don't know about the rest of you, but i don't lift for the chicks, or guys. i do it for myself, i already have a girl. somehow being 'large' has never hampered my success with the women folk, and i have never been mistaken for a fag. besides, the brad pits are more frequently gay than the bodybuilders who are mostly alpha males. has anybody ever met a arnold sized gay guy? i never have.

There is no different in admiring women , men, cars, boats, if they have good shape
I think they looked awesome, great physiques and inspirational.

being called 'gay' or 'narcissistic' or 'muscle-bound' or any of the other stereotypes is BS

football or baseball players at least didn't have to deal with that.

Back then Bodybuilding was all about improving the aesthetics of the male physique.As well as health and fitness.

I think bodybuilders that go for the Coleman look are the gay ones, the ones that have no life outside of the gym, that shoot up all the time to get even closer to not fitting through the doorway. Bodybuilding is not a contest to see how many hormones you can shoot up or how big your veins can get. Women hate that ^^^^. I still think women like muscle mor than men, theres no way a woman would take a muscleless flab of skin over somebody with muscle and a low bodyfat percentage. Bodybuilding is acheiving a symmetric lean body that is clean and in shape. and its about prolonging you life and living healthy and happy, and reaching goal, Am I right?

I think most of us have lost sight of what a healthy, realistic physique really is, and steroids take most of the blame for that. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the people pictured in modern bodybuilding mags are on steroids or other physique-enhancing drugs. And even the fitness mags like Men's Health aren't totally drug free.

If you still think bodybuilding is gay I suggest you pick up these.
After reading about steve reeves life you will see that bodybuilding is about reaching for goals and never giving up

https://www.home-gym.com/dynmusbuilby.html

https://www.home-gym.com/builclasphys.html

https://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0502/IGH0502i.pdf

Pitu's got it right! I'm glad "warrioe-sage" has brought up a new and different subject in the forums.

Bodybuilding is a progression of the fitness movement which started in the '20s and '30s and has grown to have the cultural influence it has today. All of the bodybuilders he has brought up are celebrities and pop icons who have made a strong impact on health, fitness, and the potential of the human body.

We all have hobbies and I'm sure many would laugh at us for collecting statues and figures, but it makes us happy. We shouldn't be belittling each other here about the types of collectibles we would like to see made. Come on now, we're a community of collectors who should be encouraging each other and giving constructive advise.

Pitu's got it right! I'm glad "warrioe-sage" has brought up a new and different subject in the forums.

Bodybuilding is a progression of the fitness movement which started in the '20s and '30s and has grown to have the cultural influence it has today. All of the bodybuilders he has brought up are celebrities and pop icons who have made a strong impact on health, fitness, and the potential of the human body.

We all have hobbies and I'm sure many would laugh at us for collecting statues and figures, but it makes us happy. We shouldn't be belittling each other here about the types of collectibles we would like to see made. Come on now, we're a community of collectors who should be encouraging each other and giving constructive advise.

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Well said bud. Well said. *applauds*

Back