Official Transformer Movie Review Thread!!! - Spoiler Free until July 4th!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw this again the other night, the theatre showed some clips from the old cartoon. Man that **** didn't hold up.

When I saw this again the other night, the theatre showed some clips from the old cartoon. Man that **** didn't hold up.

So right Banny (btw kick ass siggy you have), but we didn't know that back then. What we had available then in comparison to what we've experienced since then, and the fact we're also 15-20 years more mature (for the most part), we see it now for what it really is. That's why this movie is enjoyable because if I can put up with how silly those old G1 cartoons were, I can definitely handle a much more polished product in terms of a visual and story perspective. That isn't a huge compliment either. Transformers is one of those things which you either really love or can't get over how silly it is. I fall in the first bracket.

Anyway I am done coming into this thread. I've had my fill of discussing this movie.

I know Dave has some insecurity issues so he expresses them through knocking me down. It's okay. I can handle it.

Nah, I know he's kidding. Atleast I would hope so, since the discussion on hand is so innocent and trivial. But that aside, it's not that we're dooped into believing this is a good film, we KNOW it's a good film based on the source materiel it's based on. That is my opinion, and while you may not agree with it, it doesn't make it any less valuable than your's. After all, those who have to attack other's for having one, well, are being pretty small minded IMO.

The original 1980's Transformers (pre 1986 film and Beastwars) had a terrible story arch to begin with. Character development was there for the first few characters. Albeit, lacking in that area, but it was definitely there. However, half way through season 1 or the start to season 2 character development was hindered due to the fact Hasbro and Marvel didn't take the average viewer seriously. They were trying to sell kids their product, which was the Transformer toys in a 22 minute weekly commercial.

Heck, even Hasbro admitted to it being a big 22 minute commercial ad. As every cartoon nowadays that were created after the toy. In some cases, even prior to it. It's obvious. Not to a bunch of then 5 to 12-year-olds, but is clearly evident now as we are now young adults. My point is, unless you seen the G1 cartoons recently, you can't really relate the movie to the source material. But if you have, you would give your head a good shake and come to the conclusion that yes, this movie is so silly it falls along the same lines of those old corny yet entertaining 80's Marvel Group produced episodes.

In the end, I feel like this topic is so overplayed and recycled, as if we were playing a scratched up record that constantly plays that verse over and over again. I hate to say this Dave, but for a guy who likes to tease Transformer fans on their intellectual level, you sure have a hard time moving on.

Man, and I thought I had obsession compulsive disorder bad. You sir take the cake. hehe

btw If you get this bent out of shape over what certain individuals think of a pop corn flick, I would hate to see how you handle more serious everyday situations.

ZOINKS SCOOBS!!!

Of course I am teasing Dave. hehe I mean if you can dish it out you certainally can take it. :)

Nothing personal Eli. I get insulted all of the time but do you think I give a s#it? Anyway, all is fair in love and... well not your kind. :lol

I like Transformers, but if you guys think this movie is really kick ass well, I'm sorry for you guys. I just can't like something that pretends to be a Transformers movie when it is obviously a Decepticon POS. Perhaps if you look at the movie itself as an allegory of what a Transformer is then I guess you could say it was a success on that level but I just see so much wasted potential and opportunity of what could have been an epic adaptation of the real Transformers. It has always been cheesy, even in the 80's I thought it was cheese but it was cool. This was pretentious. It's like Bumblebee... a POS 80's Camero disguised with a really cool skin of a 2007 Camero over it. Underneath it's still just a POS.

measleepinlondoncy0.jpg

Who the **** cares, I liked the movie. Period.

If you didnt, good, go watch Aliens again.

I'm out!

I know Dave has some insecurity issues so he expresses them through knocking me down. It's okay. I can handle it.

Nah, I know he's kidding. Atleast I would hope so, since the discussion on hand is so innocent and trivial. But that aside, it's not that we're dooped into believing this is a good film, we KNOW it's a good film based on the source materiel it's based on. That is my opinion, and while you may not agree with it, it doesn't make it any less valuable than your's. After all, those who have to attack other's for having one, well, are being pretty small minded IMO.

The original 1980's Transformers (pre 1986 film and Beastwars) had a terrible story arch to begin with. Character development was there for the first few characters. Albeit, lacking in that area, but it was definitely there. However, half way through season 1 or the start to season 2 character development was hindered due to the fact Hasbro and Marvel didn't take the average viewer seriously. They were trying to sell kids their product, which was the Transformer toys in a 22 minute weekly commercial.

Heck, even Hasbro admitted to it being a big 22 minute commercial ad. As every cartoon nowadays that were created after the toy. In some cases, even prior to it. It's obvious. Not to a bunch of then 5 to 12-year-olds, but is clearly evident now as we are now young adults. My point is, unless you seen the G1 cartoons recently, you can't really relate the movie to the source material. But if you have, you would give your head a good shake and come to the conclusion that yes, this movie is so silly it falls along the same lines of those old corny yet entertaining 80's Marvel Group produced episodes.

i've been watching the entire G1 DVD's(working my way through them) and you hit the nail on the head. characters would just show up. doesn't bother me, i mean the camera can't follow them ALL the time..:), I love them and I cannot wait until Omega Supreme finally makes his appearance, I'm on the fifth disc so I have a long way to go,....and he was made a toy(the concept) before he made it into the show, so you are exactly right.

Shia Lebouf's performance was surprisingly good. We might have a future Tom Hanks in the making:

https://www.transformersmovie.com/public/video_files/transformers_policecar_lrg.mov

The movie definitely had its faults but though silly and sometimes distracting they're forgivable and don't detract from the spectacular overall entertainment (kind of like Return of the Jedi.) :)

My favorite movie of the last two summers.

I liked how they consistently built up that Prime would sacrifice himself and then did the ol' switcheroo and had Megatron bite the dust. Surprisingly clever.

A lot of it felt like a 1980's movie (appropriate, given the subject matter) with 21st century special effects. Awesome.

Yeah! we finally got it here in the UK.
Oh, it was good! Got to go see it again.Can someone tell me wahat happened at the start as i walked into the theater when that speacial ops team is in the helicopter and is talking about going home. Hope there was'nt anything good i missed, like Cybertron.
Bring on the squeal with more Starscream, i say.

Had the pleasure of seeing this last weekend over here in the UK.... thought it was absolutley brilliant and I cannot wait to go see it again

Yeah! we finally got it here in the UK.
Oh, it was good! Got to go see it again.Can someone tell me wahat happened at the start as i walked into the theater when that speacial ops team is in the helicopter and is talking about going home. Hope there was'nt anything good i missed, like Cybertron.
Bring on the squeal with more Starscream, i say.

You hear Prime's voice talking about the allspark and why they had to come to earth. If i remember correctly, they don't show Cybertron till later in the movie, when Prime is explaining to Shia where they came from.

The beginning is really cool, just to hear a bit more of Peter Cullen talking.

See it again!

Back