Official 1/6th Darth Vader Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woohooo! It looks like this Vader will be everything I wanted. I can't wait to see pictures. Will you be taking pictures of him in the box?

Already done, made sure I got them in before I opened the box, but those are not what I want to be the first shots of him on this board, so the will be posted later :)

After seeing UPS dude & the box that surely have made you wide awake excluding coffee. :lol

Joking aside MaulFan. We all are looking forward to your pics. Congrads again. :vader

Dude, no joke, my heart's racing, I got Star Wars music playing, I'm like a kid on Chirstmas morning finding that one really sought after toy under the tree :lol

Ok, off I go for a few moments to snap my teasers.

We don't need the normal MaulFan standard of perfection! Just one simple shot will do!!! :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool Throw us a bone, dude. :p :lol

I kid, I kid. But seriously, this thread needs more :vader:vader:vader

Should we start a new OFFICIAL picture thread????

YES........"maulfans official early realease preview of darth vader cuz he won the photo contest with an awesome picture" thread.:D

i keep hitting refresh on this page hoping MF's pics will be put up. :lol

:vader.............:chew

Ok, I'll leave the other thread to be primarily photos and put the review up here.

OVERALL LOOK

While there are a few points where depending on your source material, he may not look dead on like Vader from ANH, I'd say he's 90% there. He is very tall, just over 14" in height, taller than a Hot Toys Predator, and next to other figures in the line, he seems to be in good scale.

While it may not be perfect, and that's all in the eyes of the beholder, I feel this is the best looking 1/6 Vader mask and helmet made to date. From many angles, I feel like I'm staring at him out of the movie, angles where previous Vader's have fallen short of matching up to. The head also has prett good posability, mainly left to right and backwards, forward motion isn't too much because of the bottom of his faceplate.

PAINT

Not too much to paint on a Darth Vader, but what needs to be is done very well, clean edges, nice color and finish. The eyes on the mask feature a reddish tint like sunglasses, which is film accurrate to the ANH Vader appearance. The mask features correct mix of black gloss and gun metal elements.

While it's film accurrate, it is a little strange to see Vader without paint on his right tusk. Some may custom add paint to balance it out. Looking at images from the movie, the film helmet benefits from the extra detail of 1:1 scale, it catches more light and often looks as though it's silver like the left, even though it isn't.

The chest armor has a very nice finish, dull, not glossy like it was in Empire and Jedi, and the small detailing on the belt and chest box has a really nice metal look to it, or synthetic lights.

BODY

First and most important thing to cover here in my mind is the tightness of joints. Posability is irrelevant if the body flops around like a rag doll.

To my delight, Vader is fantastic. The joints on this figure are as tight as any Hot Toys figure I've ever owned, and I mention HT simply because I personally find their bodies to be the sturdiest you can get without being fragile either.

Now, as far as articulation, seems to be same as other bodies, torso, arms, neck, etc.

Hands can't pose, the gloves are a solid piece that can rotate. May not be to everyone's liking but I'm hapy with it, and with 4 right hands and 2 left, there's plenty of options.

CLOTHING

I was asked how the bodysuit compares with the Medicom figure, and for the sake of the comparison, my Medi-Vader is the ROTJ, incase there's variation between it and the ROTS version. Overall, they feel about the same. Medicom's is slightly glossier, which I think the matte finish to Sideshow's is more favorable. For those wondering, it's closed in the back by a velcro seam.

The codpiece is plastic with a texture and finish that matches the leather of his belt and the belt holding the codpiece on. Both belts are fastened with a strong velcro in the back, much like the Stormtrooper.

The chest box has a belt wrapping around his midsection with 2 shoulder straps, it's a very nice, snug fit, the box doesn't misalign or flop around. The belt part connects in the back with a clip connector like the armor on Hot Toys ALIENS Marines.

The boots are a very stiff plastic/rubber. Like I've said, given his size, I'm fine with this solid construction and no ankle articulation, as much as it might add, could also add risk to this figure so having something very sturdy is nice. Even though the boot is a solid piece, there's a matte boot with the shiny shin guard attached to it, kinda neat, a little better than just a solid piece. The gloves are nicely done, have small wrinkling and detailing to make them look used and not just pristine and perfect.

ACCESSORIES

Basically, 6 hands and ignited and unignited lightsaber, and of course the saber hilts are up to the same detail and caliber we've come to expect. As you've seen in photos, the blade is more transparent and darker red like the Palpatine and Ventress figures insted of the more pink, frosted look the Maul sabers had.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

I wish they'd made the boots more pliable or separate like Medicom's, the lack of poseability bugs me...
But it looks like a great figure, thanks for the review!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back