Not Cool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah man! That sure looks like Tin's head! :confused:
TIN! Did he buy a figure from you????

Hope he's not ripping you off bro. ICH's been a good supplier of parts.
Hope this is not how it looks.

This is why rarely sell heads separately.

Tin, did you sell one to this guy?

Even if it is his a head Tin sold, what does it matter?

The guy bought it, had it painted and made a figure out of it and it now selling it.

Once you buy something, it's yours to do as you please.

I have to agree with Evilface. He paid Tin for his work. Tin was selling an unlicensed sculpt anyway. It's no different than if Les or somebody did a comissioned custom paint for somebody and the owner turned around and sold it.

EVILFACE said:

The guy bought it, had it painted and made a figure out of it and it now selling it.

i agree...its a custom with custom parts...its not like hes mass marketing the thing.

dekadentdave said:
I have to agree with Evilface. He paid Tin for his work. Tin was selling an unlicensed sculpt anyway. It's no different than if Les or somebody did a comissioned custom paint for somebody and the owner turned around and sold it.

While I agree that it is not cool to recast people's work, I have to also agree with this statement. It seems to me to be a bit of the pot calling the kettle black to accuse someone from profiting from your work when you are in turn profiting from someone's likeness without a license.

That being said, neither party has chimed in here, so this is a lot of speculation with no facts.

EVILFACE said:

I agree, its his to do what he will.

hmm. i've always heard Ironcross is a standup guy. now if he's just selling this 1 fig that he worked into a complete custom, it's not a huge deal, but if he ends up selling multiples of this custom then he's made copies of the head, which sucks balls and's wrong. the prob w/ selling just this 1 custom is that whoever buys it could recast the sculpt.

Mookeylama said:
hmm. i've always heard Ironcross is a standup guy. now if he's just selling this 1 fig that he worked into a complete custom, it's not a huge deal, but if he ends up selling multiples of this custom then he's made copies of the head, which sucks balls and's wrong. the prob w/ selling just this 1 custom is that whoever buys it could recast the sculpt.

But that's true of ANY figure. We've already seen some unscrupulous sellers recasting Sideshow headsculpts and selling them and we've debated that issue before. Anybody could make a copy of a copy and so on and so forth. Lonnie also sells unlicensed headsculpts which he is offering to customizers for a nominal fee to cover materials expenses and for his time. Now, what if somebody buys one from him and recasts it and sells copies of those. Is it wrong? Lonnie doesn't hold a license or copyright, neither does Tinister. The only person that it infringes upon is the original copyright owner, in this case it's EON and since they don't seem to be doing anything about getting a licensed Craig figure out there to meet the demands of the fans it is their loss and Sideshow's.

dekadentdave said:
Lonnie also sells unlicensed headsculpts which he is offering to customizers for a nominal fee to cover materials expenses and for his time. Now, what if somebody buys one from him and recasts it and sells copies of those. Is it wrong?

Put yourself in Lonnie's place.

Yes, it's wrong, because before Lonnie sells those heads, Jim Maddox spends his time and talent sculpting them for Lonnie. The recaster invests only resin and rubber, and steals the work of Jim and Lonnie, who aren't exactly reaping a huge profit to begin with.

I think we all realize that selling unlicensed sculpts is a form of theft -- very petty theft considering the tiny volume -- and that such works are produced at personal risk, and usually for the sake of personal growth rather than enrichment. Those who cloud the issue of recasting with the issue of licensing rights are apparently of the belief that one wrong justifies another. The responses to this thread have been surprising and disappointing. It's clear that there are several people on this board to whom neither Tinister nor anyone else should sell their work, because they take the work for granted and think the fact that the work is unauthorized makes it fair game. Perhaps some of you should try sculpting something, and then getting it molded and cast, and then consider how you'd feel seeing it auctioned by a stranger on eBay. Perhaps you think sculptors just appear with their talents in full bloom and gainfully employed by large companies. Perhaps you don't know where Sideshow finds its sculptors, or how many of them have unauthorized or "spec" works in their portfolios.

It will be interesting to see whether any more original sculpts are offered on this board. If anyone wanders in here with a sculpt, they should be directed to this thread as fair warning of who they're getting mixed up with.

An original sculpt or private work of art is one thing but making sculpts of unlicensed likenesses or characters you are entering the arena of public domain and fair use and bordering on copyright infringment. I don't think the studios are going to go through the effort to take legal action against everyone who infringes on their properties (unless you are Luca$Film whose legal department spends its time policing the net and issuing cease and desist letters to anyone who uses their licensed trademarks without expressed consent). Tinister or Lonnie are not going to profit from this work, they are offering goods or services to others because they know there is a demand that is not being fulfilled. If they were greedy and unscrupulous they could exploit the market and profit tremendously at the risk of legal prosecution. My point is, Tinister or Lonnie really don't have much to say about it because technically they are doing the same to the license holder by using their trademarks without permission. Personally, more power to them. I could give a damn whether or not the license holder is losing any money because of this. That's their problem. Tinister and Lonnie get paid for their services, a customizer takes their work, paints it, builds a custom figure and sells it and makes even more money. He's selling an item that he bought the materials for therefore he has a right to sell something that he owns and is entitled to any payment that another buyer is willing to offer for his personal posession.

Gruff Old Bear said:
Put yourself in Lonnie's place.

Yes, it's wrong, because before Lonnie sells those heads, Jim Maddox spends his time and talent sculpting them for Lonnie. The recaster invests only resin and rubber, and steals the work of Jim and Lonnie, who aren't exactly reaping a huge profit to begin with.

I think we all realize that selling unlicensed sculpts is a form of theft -- very petty theft considering the tiny volume -- and that such works are produced at personal risk, and usually for the sake of personal growth rather than enrichment. Those who cloud the issue of recasting with the issue of licensing rights are apparently of the belief that one wrong justifies another. The responses to this thread have been surprising and disappointing. It's clear that there are several people on this board to whom neither Tinister nor anyone else should sell their work, because they take the work for granted and think the fact that the work is unauthorized makes it fair game. Perhaps some of you should try sculpting something, and then getting it molded and cast, and then consider how you'd feel seeing it auctioned by a stranger on eBay. Perhaps you think sculptors just appear with their talents in full bloom and gainfully employed by large companies. Perhaps you don't know where Sideshow finds its sculptors, or how many of them have unauthorized or "spec" works in their portfolios.

It will be interesting to see whether any more original sculpts are offered on this board. If anyone wanders in here with a sculpt, they should be directed to this thread as fair warning of who they're getting mixed up with.
I completely agree Gruff, It's just wrong for someone to make a quick and easy buck by recasting someone else's work. It means that Tinister's time, effort, and investment are being undermined by a very unscrupulous person. The sculptor puts a tremendous amount of work into a sculpt and some jackass just buys one, makes a dozen or so copies and sits back watching TV while the money starts rolling into his paypal account.
But the thing here is that Ironcross Hunter may not have recast the head sculpt. He could've bought it from Tinister, painted it himself or payed someone else to paint one and made a costume for the figure or hired someone to make the costume. If that's the case I don't think it's quite the same issue. I think it's fine for someone to sell a custom that they either paid others to do for them or that they did some of the work themselves.
RECASTERS SUCK, but this may not be the case.
I'd like to hear what Tinister says about this.

There are trademark and patent laws in effect for a reason. If you don't have one and you sell to the open market (or private for that matter), it's anyone's gain. If a songwriter submits a song to a record company without a copyright, he can kiss it goodbye. Same goes for product variations, sculpts and others.

Remember, the law sides with the person that holds the trademark, patent, or copyright. Unfortunately moral arguments don't hold up in a court of law.

Back