No statues at comic stores!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LCS won't even order hardcovers, let alone statues and busts, unless it's a preorder. Even if he were offered a 75% discount on statues and busts, he still wouldn't order them. However, in addition to the evident cost issue, one of the other main reasons for staying away is having to deal with Diamond. They don't accept returns all that easily. Unless the piece is outright broken, you could easily be stuck with a piece with lazy eyes and a sloppy paint job, etc.

I order my SSC stuff direct. I'm an EX kinda guy. SSC EX are not offered as a discount to any LCS. My LCS does carry Bowen pieces as well as DC direct and some Koto stuff. The owner is pretty cool and he does give me 25% off any Bowen piece I buy. I buy most of my Bowen pieces from him.

SSC She-Hulk, Cyclops, Koto Colossus, C.S. Moores FB WitchBlade and Angelus Reg. Version and Emerald the only good thing is I get a 2 or 3 month break, before getting ready for Rogue and ??? later in the year.

My LCS won't even order hardcovers, let alone statues and busts, unless it's a preorder. Even if he were offered a 75% discount on statues and busts, he still wouldn't order them.

I've also noticed the trend at the Comic Stores I frequent. They can't give away the statues they have in stock. Most stores don't stock their shelves with any "fine-art" collectibles, as seemingly the market has really died. Proof are the numbers being produced, it's a sad fact. I keep my Comic store busy with pre-orders though, and as mentioned before -you CAN get most items for a lot less than manufacturers suggested price on Ebay.

There are two stores here in Fargo ND. The one more known is downtown and have to say it sucks. I first went there a few years ago and they seemed to have a good selection of stuff. But now its all card games and dice. Only comics they have left is the new releases and a few paperbacks.

I go regularly to the one on the south end of town for the awhile now and order things via Previews through them. They used to have more stuff but they are on the second floor of a building and want to move to a smaller space so they started to sell off tons of their back stocks. And now its hardly any statues.

I got a older Bowen Elektra statue last year but other then that its very old DC statues like Supergirl and Flash.

To me ordering online via sideshow is fine. But for Bowen and DC direct I buy through the store because its easier with broken ones. I had to send back a Covergirls Powergirl because it busted at the feet.

Just Bowen and Koto stuff at my LCS. Have yet to see sideshow statue stuff in any of my other comic stores.

I've also noticed the trend at the Comic Stores I frequent. They can't give away the statues they have in stock. Most stores don't stock their shelves with any "fine-art" collectibles, as seemingly the market has really died. Proof are the numbers being produced, it's a sad fact. I keep my Comic store busy with pre-orders though, and as mentioned before -you CAN get most items for a lot less than manufacturers suggested price on Ebay.

Yesterday comic readers are today's collectors and today's readers are tomorrow's collectors.

The comic industry is dying, and so is the comic collectibles industry, it will just trail the comic industry by a decade or two.

Yesterday comic readers are today's collectors and today's readers are tomorrow's collectors.

The comic industry is dying, and so is the comic collectibles industry, it will just trail the comic industry by a decade or two.

I sure hope not! I think right now is a really good time for the industry, especially compared to the late nineties. The stories are good, the art is good, there is movies, games. As long as the industry can keep adapting I think this hobby will keep going.

My LCS stocks a few, and I've seriously tried to get them to carry sc, but they just don't move fast enough for them to dedicate the space they need. They'd love to carry some sc stuff, it looks really good, but they still have statues that are 4 and 5 years old on the shelf. The closest I have is in Toronto with the silver snail, they will stock some, and the turnover is fast enough to continue the support.

The comic industry is not dying. It's changing. Comics will still be around after the children of your children die. This whole 'head for the hills' thing about the comic book industry being on its way out is getting silly.

Have you seen the latest circulation numbers?

Have you seen the economy? They've been low before. But if you honestly think the industry will die off, I really can't help but laugh. As said, movies are coming out, TV shows are being planned. The industry is bound to change, but to disappear? You better recheck the score on that one :monkey1

There is one comic book store in my area for 20 miles each direction (probably more) and that particular place does carry DC Direct statues, they used to carry Diamond, Bowen and various others but they do not stock Sideshow, Medicom or Hot Toys in any format. They are willing to order them for you but they charge full MSRP to do it and therefore it realistically doesn't make much sense. They only have one sale a year after Thanksgiving and the savings aren't that high anyway.

They've still got statues from 2002 rotting the shelves at full MSRP that I can get for 70% off on eBay. Even if my LCS were to carry items I'd never buy from them.

Unfortunately this is the case at my local shops too, but an hour away at the Main one hey actually carry everything, but its expensive, and a bit over priced compared to online shops....but its either wait and save some cash or get it now and pay more

My LCS carries them but they can sit there a while. I picked up a Red Skull PF from them around XMas. The owner said he had it displayed for close to two years.

Back