NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess growing up in Missouri, the then St. Louis Cardinals were so bad that you had to look elsewhere. :lol

I don't really remember them being in St. Louis to be honest.

How do you have 2 favorite teams Josh?

Well, I like the Chiefs they're within 45 mins of my house but as a kid I loved watching Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. So growing up I was and still am a HUGE 49ers fan but I also love watching the Chiefs. I've even been able to go to the last two times they played each other in KC.

I've always found it weird when people only like one team. Especially if they only like that team because they live in that state. Who the hell do you pull for in all the other games? If your answer is nobody, why the hell do you watch?

I've always found it weird when people only like one team. Especially if they only like that team because they live in that state. Who the hell do you pull for in all the other games? If your answer is nobody, why the hell do you watch?

How many "favorite" teams do you have in each sport? 12?

Especially if they only like that team because they live in that state.
What does that have to do with anything? I would guess that 90%+ of fans are fans of a team because they live or lived near the team at some point.

Of course, I really do like some teams more than others, though I often just watch for the enjoyment of watching the game unfold. . .

I guess what I should have said in my earlier post, though, was that I hate everyone on this forum, not their football teams. Apologies for the confusion.

How many "favorite" teams do you have in each sport? 12?

No. I have one favorite team but I like a lot of others as well. I just really enjoy the game. I enjoy watching it, following players I know, following players from college throughout their careers, I like certain personalities, certain coaches, etc. etc. I pull for some teams just because I like their coach or style or a few players, likewise I hate certain teams for the same reasons. If the Falcons aren't playing, I still enjoy watching the game and have teams I root for and root against.

What does that have to do with anything? I would guess that 90%+ of fans are fans of a team because they live or lived near the team at some point.

Of course, I really do like some teams more than others, though I often just watch for the enjoyment of watching the game unfold. . .

I guess what I should have said in my earlier post, though, was that I hate everyone on this forum, not their football teams. Apologies for the confusion.

Which is exactly my point. It's a bizarre concept that I bet 90%+ never stop to even question. I like this team because _________? Living in the same state just seems an odd answer to me.

There's always going to be some interest one way or the other. I root for teams based upon how the result could help my team, playoff positioning wise. I'll also root for players on my fantasy team, or players I just like. Aaron Rodgers, for example, went to Cal, and I must have seen every one of his home games in person, so I root for him... Especially if he's playing the Falcons.

But really though, any passionate interest is reserved for the 49ers.

Which is exactly my point. It's a bizarre concept that I bet 90%+ never stop to even question. I like this team because _________? Living in the same state just seems an odd answer to me.
Allegiance to a sports team is like allegiance to a country. It isn't something you develop based on some calculated analysis of all the teams, it is a form of community and nationalism. In that sense, it isn't odd or bizarre at all. We mostly adhere to the political beliefs of our parents, and that isn't narrowly "rational" either, so much as socialization and community. Growing up around something, or being around people who all share something in common is the gestation of these things.

Yeah. There's a diagnosis for that. Identity foreclosure.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that being the reason for liking a team. It's not the reason I like teams, but there's nothing wrong with someone that does and I understand why that is. That doesn't mean I don't find it odd.

No. I have one favorite team but I like a lot of others as well. I just really enjoy the game. I enjoy watching it, following players I know, following players from college throughout their careers, I like certain personalities, certain coaches, etc. etc. I pull for some teams just because I like their coach or style or a few players, likewise I hate certain teams for the same reasons. If the Falcons aren't playing, I still enjoy watching the game and have teams I root for and root against.

I think most people that consider themselves fans of a sport would say the same.

Yeah. There's a diagnosis for that. Identity foreclosure.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that being the reason for liking a team. It's not the reason I like teams, but there's nothing wrong with someone that does and I understand why that is. That doesn't mean I don't find it odd.
While I'm sure your affinity for the Falcons and fact that you live in Atlanta is just coincidental, there is nothing wrong with enjoying a team because others around you enjoy it, or because you grew up enjoying it. If you want to really make the argument that enjoying a team because you grew up or live near it is odd, then I think you need to re-assess the definition of odd, as it is extremely common. Common because developing an affinity for one's community is one of the most natural things that people do. For some this is religion, for some culture (of which sports is a part), etc. For those of us who enjoyed such things as kids, there is a component of nostalgia, which is, in part, a survival trait as it helps us to ensure that we feel an affinity for the cultures and things we grew up around (which helps to create connections between people, which promotes survival). This is ingrained in our primeval essence. Not odd.

You say you care about certain players or coaches. Why? No less arbitrary reasons than caring about a team. You like someone's personality, traits, background, etc. Either because they are like you, are like you aspire to be, are like what an athlete "should be" in your mind, or whatever. So what? Why is that reason enough to want to watch them and hope for their success? You aren't materially benefiting from their success. You just get psychic satisfaction of knowing a person you envy or respect or whatever is succeeding at something. Affinity for celebrities, athletes, and politicians is probably due to a historic affinity for tribal chiefs. Doesn't make sense in a narrow, bare-bones economic analysis of preference. Same with any reason for choosing a team.

Last edited:
Vikings......#1
Chargers....#2
Raiders......#3

Although #2 and #3 might flip-flop soon. :monkey3

I'm a Raiders fan because of this guy........................

p-488344-ken-stabler-unsigned-sports-illustrated-magizine-january-17-1977-hc-afbmg11225.jpg

Check out the lovely old school, purple Viking jersey. :rock

While I'm sure your affinity for the Falcons and fact that you live in Atlanta is just coincidental, there is nothing wrong with enjoying a team because others around you enjoy it, or because you grew up enjoying it. If you want to really make the argument that enjoying a team because you grew up or live near it is odd, then I think you need to re-assess the definition of odd, as it is extremely common. Common because developing an affinity for one's community is one of the most natural things that people do. For some this is religion, for some culture (of which sports is a part), etc. For those of us who enjoyed such things as kids, there is a component of nostalgia, which is, in part, a survival trait as it helps us to ensure that we feel an affinity for the cultures and things we grew up around (which helps to create connections between people, which promotes survival). This is ingrained in our primeval essence. Not odd.

You say you care about certain players or coaches. Why? No less arbitrary reasons than caring about a team. You like someone's personality, traits, background, etc. Either because they are like you, are like you aspire to be, are like what an athlete "should be" in your mind, or whatever. So what? Why is that reason enough to want to watch them and hope for their success? You aren't materially benefiting from their success. You just get psychic satisfaction of knowing a person you envy or respect or whatever is succeeding at something. Affinity for celebrities, athletes, and politicians is probably due to a historic affinity for tribal chiefs. Doesn't make sense in a narrow, bare-bones economic analysis of preference. Same with any reason for choosing a team.

I know you're a Saints fan and have a hard time with deep thought (this is a joke between rival team lovers for the heavy handed mods out there), but what you quoted from me said exactly what I've bolded in your post. There is nothing wrong with it at all, but it is odd when you don't question it, when it just is. All these other things you're throwing into the mix have nothing to do with the concept of liking "just because."

Edit: And just because you insinuated I'll go on the record as saying I wasn't a big Falcons fan until they signed Tim Dwight. I grew up a Raiders, 49ers and Seahawks fan and to be honest I find myself pulling for the Patriots as much as the Falcons these days.

Last edited:
Back