NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't get behind the line of thought that losing earlier somehow is better than making the SB and losing the game. People seem to look at Montana in the vaccum of just those 4 games. Never is it mentioned the 3 straight years of one and dones where Joe threw 0 TDs. Montana's teams earned 11 playoff berths. Brady's teams have been to at least the conference championship 11 times.

A better case for Montana would mention the gauntlet that the 80s NFC was with the Bears, Redskins, and Giants. For many years the NFC title games was pretty much the SB. In the end it's a fun debate, but it's not really worth getting that worked up about. I'm sure there are people out there who would make a case for Otto Graham winning 7 NFL championships with 10 appearances in the final.

Brady also has had lots of large advantages. He plays in a era where touching him is a flag. He played in a era where touching a WR is a flag. Brady has probably taken as many BIG hits in his career as Montana took in a year. If he and Rice has todays rules OMG records would be so far out of reach.

Yeah, it was a different game back then. I think Brady's biggest advantage is the division he plays in. They are practically guaranteed to go 6-0 in their division every year and win it. That'll punch their playoff ticket every year. That said, they still have to win their conference and the SB. Those playoff games are never a given and a challenge to win. Bottom line, since the early 2000's, the Pats and Brady are the gold standard in the NFL.

I just can't get behind the line of thought that losing earlier somehow is better than making the SB and losing the game. People seem to look at Montana in the vaccum of just those 4 games. Never is it mentioned the 3 straight years of one and dones where Joe threw 0 TDs. Montana's teams earned 11 playoff berths. Brady's teams have been to at least the conference championship 11 times.

I agree. The 4-0 looks good but I think losing a SB is better than losing in the playoffs.... at least you got there and had a shot.

Last edited:
Montana is the GOAT??? LOL...try harder haters. your weak argument is no longer valid after Brady's 5th ring.

Any argument is valid when discussing GOAT. Different eras different rules. Brady is the best of this era and that’s all you can say with 100% certainty.

Back