1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This what we all need, regardless of what department of SW you’re into:
6A61361D-A439-4C27-9086-CF80DAD314CF.jpeg

Personally speaking, I think it would be really cool if May 4th was a 3/4 figure announcements from different lines.

Jedi Survivor - Cal Kestis
ROTJ 40th - Endor Han Solo
The Clone Wars - Fives
The Mandalorian - Greef Karga

Of course, if wanted to double dip and add in a trooper, like the 212th Trooper for The Clone Wars or the Imperial Super Commandos from Mando, that would be splendid, but I would love it if those were the 4 figures we got for May 4th.

It feels like they completely sidestepped him for CW Obi-Wan. Maybe in their minds they think that covers both. It doesn't. Go full mullet or go home!

I think that’s exactly what happened, though not because it covers both. They probably just didn’t want too many Obi-Wan figures on the market at the same time and TCW was in the works for a long time.

At this rate, AOTC Obi-Wan will likely not hit till the next AOTC anniversary in a few years. :lol

You make some good points. It's a bit meaningless to discuss sales numbers without actually having the numbers (as opposed to what people claim). I'm told that Rogue One merchandise didn't move as well as TFA; not that companies didn't produce enough of it. There just wasn't the same demand.

Obviously, I have a bias here, same as everyone who engages in this conversation (I remember being on the other side of this a way back). However, I think we should dispel this 'objectively ST merchandise does not sell' attitude though, because it lacks nuance and also isn't always true. It's used more as a stick to beat the ST films with, since if stuff from it doesn't sell then it means the films or characters or writing were objectively bad I guess? Maybe the current scarcity helps, but what little we do see these days does sell, take for example the Black Series Rey lightsabre or one of those Funko things. And again, there was a point where PT product was in the same place, with people making all the same arguments you're making.

Anyhow, I quoted the above piece because I found it curious and a bit revisionist. The PT really did damage the brand for many years, maybe that's a concept that's hard to fathom now. It hasn't necessarily been 'rehabilitated' either; most likely there's just fewer people being vocal about it on the internet or simply less angry generally. Also, quite honestly, this many years later still posting about how the Emperor or Yoda were ruined is just a bit sad and a waste of time! Finally, just personally speaking I think it's ironic that we're talking about the 20th anniversary of a movie which killed the franchise for a generation and the 10th anniversary for a movie that brought in a whole new generation.
ROTS killed the franchise? It was the most popular PT film, my kids were at infant/junior school in 2005 and the playground was full of kids having lightsaber battles with each other.
On trips to Toys R Us there were way more children buying Star Wars figures then I'd seen for the previous two films.
Sideshow started their 12" line just after ROTS and was very popular. The Clone Wars series came out, The Force Unleashed video game and both were huge.
The Hasbro figure went from strength to strength with the 30th Anniversary line been excellent and the huge big Millennium Falcon coming out.
There was a continuous period of success for four or five years after ROTS.

You make some good points. It's a bit meaningless to discuss sales numbers without actually having the numbers (as opposed to what people claim). I'm told that Rogue One merchandise didn't move as well as TFA; not that companies didn't produce enough of it. There just wasn't the same demand.

Obviously, I have a bias here, same as everyone who engages in this conversation (I remember being on the other side of this a way back). However, I think we should dispel this 'objectively ST merchandise does not sell' attitude though, because it lacks nuance and also isn't always true. It's used more as a stick to beat the ST films with, since if stuff from it doesn't sell then it means the films or characters or writing were objectively bad I guess? Maybe the current scarcity helps, but what little we do see these days does sell, take for example the Black Series Rey lightsabre or one of those Funko things. And again, there was a point where PT product was in the same place, with people making all the same arguments you're making.

Anyhow, I quoted the above piece because I found it curious and a bit revisionist. The PT really did damage the brand for many years, maybe that's a concept that's hard to fathom now. It hasn't necessarily been 'rehabilitated' either; most likely there's just fewer people being vocal about it on the internet or simply less angry generally. Also, quite honestly, this many years later still posting about how the Emperor or Yoda were ruined is just a bit sad and a waste of time! Finally, just personally speaking I think it's ironic that we're talking about the 20th anniversary of a movie which killed the franchise for a generation and the 10th anniversary for a movie that brought in a whole new generation.

CEO OF HOT TOYS EXLICITLY STATED THAT ST TOYS SELLS ARE SUCK lmao :lol

I think that’s exactly what happened, though not because it covers both. They probably just didn’t want too many Obi-Wan figures on the market at the same time and TCW was in the works for a long time.

At this rate, AOTC Obi-Wan will likely not hit till the next AOTC anniversary in a few years. :lol
I will say it’s not IMPOSSIBLE. Bespin Luke 2.0, for instance, was announced the year following the Empire Strikes Back 40th anniversary. I just don’t know of it will be a high enough priority for them with all the Star Wars licenses they’re currently working with.

For me, I think we’re going to see a lot of different licenses on display this May the 4th. I think the early 3PO and Vader preorders signal that this isn’t likely to be a full ROTJ day. I’m thinking the lineup will be something like this:
Jedi Survivor- Cal Kestis
ROTJ 40th- Jedi Luke Skywalker 2.0 and R2
TCW 20th- A clone or two
Mandalorian S3- Life-Size Grogu with Pram and Moff Gideon

Who knows though, anything is possible with this company, for better and for worse. Would love to be surprised with an Andor for instance

I will say it’s not IMPOSSIBLE. Bespin Luke 2.0, for instance, was announced the year following the Empire Strikes Back 40th anniversary. I just don’t know of it will be a high enough priority for them with all the Star Wars licenses they’re currently working with.

It’s not impossible, but very unlikely. AOTC Obi-Wan is kind of in a uniquely difficult place.

Another Bespin Luke was often requested and that’s a figure that could’ve been released at any time with no further justification needed than its Bespin Luke.

McGregor Obi-Wan is one of my favorite Star Wars characters but his AOTC version doesn’t compare to an ESB Luke.

Plus it’s a different time now. I just don’t see them wanting any further saturation. Maybe when the OWK version releases and is in the clear.

With the highly requested TCW version out of the way, they could be working on ROTS 2.0 or ANH 2.0 for those anniversaries; both of which I believe most would prefer over the AOTC. Could be a TPM version in the works too with that anniversary right around the corner.

Too many Obi-Wans, too little time. :lol

Funnily enough, I’d like a figurine of Grogu hugging the anzellan :lol I wouldn’t mind if it comes in a new accessory pack, or even with a Mando S3 figure.

S2wHllS.gif

In all seriousness probably not, the next one will probably be Padawan Kenobi for the TPM anniversary next year. I'm kind of okay with that, I'd rather complete the Duel of the Fates over the AOTC trio.

A little bit of an odd day to release a groot. They wouldn’t do us dirty tomorrow, would they?
Hot toys gonna hot toy.

A little bit of an odd day to release a groot. They wouldn’t do us dirty tomorrow, would they?
Hot toys gonna hot toy.

Movie comes out tomorrow night, makes sense they might want to squeeze one of the figures out this week so people have something to order after seeing it in the theater this weekend.

Don't think it will affect anything for us SW guys though.

Movie comes out tomorrow night, makes sense they might want to squeeze one of the figures out this week so people have something to order after seeing it in the theater this weekend.

Don't think it will affect anything for us SW guys though.
Yeah, I think Hot Toys sees the writing on the wall that Marvel is fading. Yeah, these movies are still making money but the MCU is definitely not a cultural phenomenon anymore, and I’d be willing to guess money from merchandise and collectibles is probably reversing course.

Guardians 3 seems to be the last film that the long time fans are excited about, so I’m guessing Hot Toys is going to try and capitalize while the iron is still hot.

I doubt this affects May 4th announcements.

Back