New Updated Disc Format Coming for Xbox 360

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
https://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/

I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed.

A couple of points before you head off to register:

We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*.

To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.

While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.

I’ll be sure to update this post if the program fills up.

Update: This preview will not impact voice/party chat at all.

thoughts?

maybe just better encryption or have the found a way of doing quad layer dvd via software patch?

So does that mean 360 users would have to buy a new console with ONLY an updated disc format, instead of them just reeasing a new xbox console with new everything

Ooh ooh they should call it xbox 360.2, to be followed by the xbox 360.5, before finally getting around to the xbox 720.

Someone posted on ign in the fin print on the site it says microsoft is not responsible if the update and disk mess up your system so needless to say I'm not sighning up plus I already have halo reach

I highly doubt that there's any significant disc format change--They might have some type of new encryption, but really that's kind of stupid, if they're thinking they can make it so that pirates won't be able to crack it, they're wrong.

I highly doubt that there's any significant disc format change--They might have some type of new encryption, but really that's kind of stupid, if they're thinking they can make it so that pirates won't be able to crack it, they're wrong.

I'm wondering if they've found a way to make the discs larger to hold more data. It seems that's one of the biggest gripes from developers these days for the Xbox.

Oh, and I did get in. I logged on to my Connect account and it looks like they personally invited me to join. :clap

https://www.justpushstart.com/2011/04/11/new-xbox-360-format-disc-can-carry-up-to-10gb-of-data/

A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that the new format disc adds up to 1GB of data, for a total of about 9GB of space on a dual layered disc. Today, new reports indicate that the Xbox 360 format disc can carry up to 10GB of data, rather than the previously reported 9GB.

According to the anonymous tipster, the Halo Reach disc that appeared on every beta tester’s doorstep seems to carry approximately 10,780 MB of data, which is equivalent to roughly 10GB. No one can figure out yet what this file could be. It may include some filler to maximize the capacity of the dual-layered disc. As of today, hackers seems to be having a hard time making their modded console works on the new dashboard update that Microsoft released for beta testers.

I got in the program. Just popped in Halo Reach this afternoon. Really don't know how people play this ____. Game is boring as ____. Not really sure what the hell is updated though. There is an extra menu on my dashboard with update info but none of them do anything or say anything.

Back