New to Highlander/Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome-O

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I'm new to collecting the Sideshow Highlander figs, I just got Conner,modern, and had a custom question. I noticed they decided not to give him stuble, any suggestions on what to do about that? I have no costume problems, I already have a few Star Wars and got into this via that, so I have some water treatment/clothing experience,but nothing involving paint. Any advise is appreciated! Also, is this line even active? I mean will I ever see Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez?!?!?!?!?!? Or medival Kurgan? Thanks!

KKwallpaper1.jpg

To answer your question - it's been said that there are no new Highlander figures planned at this time. The sales on the previous figures don't warrant it.

As for stubble - I'm sure there are some expert face painters here that could give some tips.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
As for stubble - I'm sure there are some expert face painters here that could give some tips.

Awesome-O...you can probably check with CustomMickey or DarkArtist about face stubble. I believe DarkArtist has added subble to his Connor.

Darklord Dave said:
no new Highlander figures planned at this time.

"at this time"....that means theres still hope.

Well, as for stubble.... I can say that there are several ways it can be achieved...

You can get some acrylic chalk and apply it very lightly on the area or you can dry brush it with regular acrylic paints.

I mix a tad of dark brown and black to get a shade that's not too harsh, pick out the fluffiest old round brush I have and dip it into my color. Then I brush the paint off onto a paper towel until it's damn near dry. Then I begin lightly hitting the areas that I want the stubble to appear until the proper effect is achieved. If you are careful and patient, with a few applications you will be more than happy with the results.

I usually go with several layers of varying shades for a little more kick. It seems to help the realism... at least IMO

As I have yet to do this to Connor, I DO have Ash that has undergone this treatment.... so here is how things will look once you've attempted my method... :D

138103920O719196872.jpg

138103957O159988064.jpg

138103951O521153777.jpg

138103992O613698440.jpg

138103999O791132039.jpg

Everytime I see your awesome Ash repaint, I get a little more disgusted with my pale, old man Ash. Yours looks like he's ready to kick some deadite ass.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
To answer your question - it's been said that there are no new Highlander figures planned at this time. The sales on the previous figures don't warrant it.

I just bought an origins Connor... Doesn't that count for anything?

pixletwin said:
I just bought an origins Connor... Doesn't that count for anything?
Well, if nothing else it shows you have excellent taste. The costuming and face sculpt on that figure are outstanding. Mat Falls may have failed me on the Bespin Han and Kurgan headsculpts, but he nailed that one.

Beautiful work DA, I thought you had added stubble to yours but I'd never seen the close-up! You are one talented mofo... now get back to that Kurgan!!!

Thanks guys! I am very happy with how Ash looks now and he was the first repaint that gave me the feeling that I was going to be able to produce more humans that did not look bad. Up until that point all I could seem to do was blood and gore... :lol

I hope that helps Awesome-o....

Sure did, I'm gonna mess with it this weekend. I nevr repainted any fgures, seeing that all I have is SS Luke and Darth Vader Sith Apprentice and love the paint jobs, bu I did alot of painting in highschool, so it's time to break out my old brushes and nail Conner. It bugged me the second I got it and I couln't figure out what it was until I paid attention to the box, and remembered his stuble. Also, thanks to everyone for the Kurgan and future release of Highlander figs (or lack there of) information.

connermc.jpg

Simple drybrushing, you can wipe away if you get too much as long as you use acrylic paint, and then seal it when you are happy with the look. Keep in mind in Highlander 1 it wasn't so much stubble as it was three or four days of beard growth, so you may want to go a bit darker.

Nice MoCs! Connor really looks much better with stubble... kind of a bummer Sideshow left him clean shaven :monkey2 But probably better than getting a fgiure with a weird looking mass-produced stubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back