New PS3 ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrobud

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looks Like Sony is Coming Out With A Slimline PS3

ps3-slim-leaked-shots-006.jpg

ps3-slim-leaked-shots-007.jpg

ps3-slim-leaked-shots-008.jpg
[/QUOTE]

remember this from a while back. but it doesn't look like a slim--there's prongs on the bottom that make it look like that's just the top of the case, there's also more to it in the picture on the box.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I am actually interested in getting a PS3 for my Street Fighter kicks. Should I just get one when they go on sale, or wait for one that's fully backwards compatible (so I can play my PS1 and 2 stuff)? Will that even happen?

remember this from a while back. but it doesn't look like a slim--there's prongs on the bottom that make it look like that's just the top of the case, there's also more to it in the picture on the box.

Yea those prongs are weird. Maybe they need to elevate it due to heating issues with it's size now? Dunno?

I'm not much of a gamer, but I am actually interested in getting a PS3 for my Street Fighter kicks. Should I just get one when they go on sale, or wait for one that's fully backwards compatible (so I can play my PS1 and 2 stuff)? Will that even happen?
you should look on ebay or craigslist for a 60gb because i'm pretty sure sony is not gonna have backwards compatibility on any of the new PS3s. the current 80gb systems are not backwards at all.

they look like foot pegs to keep the console from bouncing up and down on that side. the angle of the picture makes them look like they are sticking forward, but i think they really just go vertical with the console.

But didn't the 60gbs have all kinds of other problems? Also, I heard newer models play PS1 games, just not PS2. Any truth to that?

^^i've had a 60gb for almost two years now with no problems yet. i'd recommend swapping the hard drive out from day one though because mine filled up fast. i'm not sure about the current 80gb playing PS1 games or not, but i'm certain that PS2 games are out of the question.

ive had a 60gb since early 2007 with no probs whatsoever! it plays ps1 and 2 games as well as dvds- a friend of mines 40gb does none of this!

they look like foot pegs to keep the console from bouncing up and down on that side. the angle of the picture makes them look like they are sticking forward, but i think they really just go vertical with the console.

In the second picture it looks like the ones on the front are too short to reach the surface it's on. Plus Sony wouldn't make an ugly design decision like that. And again in the last pic it looks like there's something added onto the bottom, there's that silver strip by the disc tray that isn't in the other pictures

ive had a 60gb since early 2007 with no probs whatsoever! it plays ps1 and 2 games as well as dvds- a friend of mines 40gb does none of this!

So which is the early one with all of the issues (overheating, blowing up, glitches, etc?) and if the 60gb does all that, why didn't they keep those features for the later models?

So which is the early one with all of the issues (overheating, blowing up, glitches, etc?) and if the 60gb does all that, why didn't they keep those features for the later models?
it wasn't cost effective. they were produced with a processor that allowed it to play PS2 games...and of course it cost too much. sony was trying to cut down costs and just carried the 80gb for a while.
~~i'm not sure which model had the problems you mention, but i'm sure there have been some problems with all the models.

Is there a way to upgrade the hard drive space for the 40gb versions? i know it will still not play the PS2 games but at least it will have a lot of space for downloads. Right now, my hard drive space is full from the game demos. I delete them as i beat the demo or end up buying the full version.

Same here. The 40 GB won't it was basically a barebones model. Not as bare as the 20GB tho.

My 60 Gb I've own since 07 and it works like charm.

Is there a way to upgrade the hard drive space for the 40gb versions? i know it will still not play the PS2 games but at least it will have a lot of space for downloads. Right now, my hard drive space is full from the game demos. I delete them as i beat the demo or end up buying the full version.
fairly certain its the same for every PS3 model. just remember to have either a USB thumb drive or an extra hard drive available to back up your stuff.
there's videos on youtube that show how to do this, but its incredibly easy.

There is also an 80gb version that came bundled with metal gear solid 4 that has backwards compatibility. The earlier systems people are mentioning actually have ps2 components or something inside to allow it to be backwards compatible. But the 80gb that came with metal gear dropped the components and instead uses some sort of software emulation. I have herd that the 80 wont play all games. I have tried a few ps1 and ps2 games in mine and they have worked fine. But also know there are 2 80gb versions and only the 1 version is compatible.

If you look in the owners manual for ps3 it tells you how to install a new drive. It sounds pretty simple. If you don't have the manual check Sony's website and you can probably find it.

btw, im not sure if newer ps3s have the memory stick/mini sd slots hidden under the flap on older ps3 models either?

Eugh. The shape and appearance of that new one is crap imo. Looks like a car mat

Back