New Board Banner - WTF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ThreadFail.jpg

The new banner is outstanding. A lot of work and creativity went into making it eye-catching. The Carnotaurus and Aliens panels are particularly well done.

pics are nice but it does take up a bit too much of the screen, i have to scroll down now to get to the posts...

Yes, this is the biggest header yet, at least on the vertical axis; The previous filmstrip header was slightly bigger horizontally, and the Halloween banner was even wider, but it seems to be the vertical measurement of this new one that some people are most likely at issue with.

When I sent the header to Darklord Dave, I did point out that it was a bit on the large side. I'm trying to evolve the header away from the confines of the traditional rectangular box into something different than is commonly seen on most forums; Something that will establish a unique template and consistent look for the board, yet still be flexible enough to update when new product is announced. So it's a work in progress and you are all beta-testers. :) Adding an additional panel to the left and right sides for a total of 6 to increase the horizontal, and reducing the vertical may be the next step.

Designing graphics for the web can be a challenge. Factors such as screen size and orientation, monitor resolution, aspect ratio, browser settings, Mac or PC, all combine in different configurations to create unique user experiences.

If you have a Windows machine, text and graphics display bigger from the get-go, since PC's display at 96 dpi vs. the Mac's 72 dpi. For example, a 15-inch Mac set at 832x634 dpi gives you about 14-inches of viewable screen real estate, but a 15-inch PC set at that same resolution will only yield about 13-inches of viewable size.

If you have a variable-resolution 17" monitor set at 1024x768 dpi, that's optimum for most viewers. However, set that same monitor at 1600x1200 ppi and everything renders too small, set it at 640x480 dpi and everything is too big.

I work on a couple of Macs: a 17-inch widescreen set at 1440x900 dpi and a 24-inch widescreen set at 1920x1200 dpi, so I see everything smaller than actual size. For example, the actual physical size of the new header is 14-inches by 4-inches, but it appears on my monitor at roughly 10-inches by 2.5-inches. My monitors are variable resolution, and I do res down when I design for the web, to help me determine a good, median size that will display well across platforms. Sometimes I hit, sometimes, I miss.

This header has garnered more reaction than any of the previous designs and, while I'm glad to hear that most folks like it, I'm also interested in good constructive criticism as to why it may not work for others.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their thoughts!

:duff

I really like the new banner - grabbed my attention right away the first time I saw it - I think it would be even cooler if when you clicked on the Marvel thread, various pics of SS Marvel pieces came across the banner, and if you clicked Star Wars it switched to various pieces of SS SW products.

I'm sure that would take up a lot of resources, and regardless, the new banner is awesome. Good job guys!!

Kurt, your post made me think maybe Dave should use the more narrow banner layout and flank it with new product icons that can be easily changed that are a direct affiliate links to SS's product pages.
Dave's been seeing a dip in affiliate purchasing and im sure that would help greatly with continuous visibility.

Back