New ALIEN Statue from Yoshihiko Sano

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The comparison pics show just how well proportioned the Sano piece is. Easily the most accurate Alien statue we've had.

The flaw in the lip is a small defect that would actually be a pretty easy fix for anybody with even rudimentary sculpting and painting skills. I'm honestly surprised though at the missing chest spur. Although it's again fixable, that's a flaw that I'd be very disappointed in.

Are you going to send it back for a replacement? It seems a shame to have such an awesome piece with (minor) flaws.

The comparison pics show just how well proportioned the Sano piece is. Easily the most accurate Alien statue we've had.

The flaw in the lip is a small defect that would actually be a pretty easy fix for anybody with even rudimentary sculpting and painting skills. I'm honestly surprised though at the missing chest spur. Although it's again fixable, that's a flaw that I'd be very disappointed in.

Are you going to send it back for a replacement? It seems a shame to have such an awesome piece with (minor) flaws.

Knowing H.S. and Roswell, they'd likely let me have a replacement...the price of the finished statues include it's painting and assembly, so I wouldn't try to fix it on my own unless it were a kit. It better be darn near perfect for the price you pay on a statue like this =)

But they have some of the best customer service I've experienced, up there with Sideshow for sure...

Considering the piece is pretty perfect other than that, the worry is always, what if the replacement isn't up to snuff...but considering almost every other one I've seen is near perfect, I know their standards are high...

heck the packaging alone---I thought it was just a color printout glued to a black box...nonono...

Firstly the black box is pretty thick...the picture is a high gloss VERY thick laminated sheet of photo-like paper that's attached and the foam is the same quality as the Hot Toys inserts...VEry VERY well packaged

even through my disappointment with the lip and the spur, I was so thrilled to have this in hand...

Sorry to hear about that demorathis. I'm sure they will get your replacement soon enough.

I hope so -- I'm pretty confident the replacement will be a one shot deal - I hope -- there's so many things to look out for with these because of the level of detail involved...=)

Great comparison pics!
Thanks for posting those.

Sure thing...I took a bunch and was just fishing for a few I thought were somewhat relevant...

If anyone here has both, I'd love to see a comprehensive comparison of each under nuetral lighting if you get a chance to take some pix pls...

Yeah, great pics Demorathis!

Man, the missing spur really stands out. I hope your replacement will be a perfect one, as the price for this piece commands it. As for the "lip flaw" it looks pretty minor that I don't think anyone would even notice it, until you actually mention it to them. But, like I mentioned before this piece commands PERFECTION! :lecture

Oh and do you have a pic of him on the case you got from RS? I'd like to see that of you do.

Thanks and good luck w/ the replacement Bro. :wink1:

Wow I am impressed by the paint app on the normal version. that black really really does look good !! having both statues in ones collection would be too awesome.

Really sucks about your flaws demorathis, hope you can get a replacement with no hassle. in all its such a beautiful looking statue and that black version really really looks a lot better than I thought it would be.

Thanks demorathis for the pics! awesome comparaison :clap

Hope you get your replacement soon enough!

Still nothing on my normal version damn:impatient:

Sorry to hear about the damages. I wouldn't accept anything but near perfection for what you're paying for this piece. They are expensive little buggers.
After seeing pics of the normal version, I only want a special.

Hobby search response to my defect report was infuriating:

▼ Hide quoted text On Feb 16, 2012 2:34 AM, "HobbySearch" <[email protected]> wrote:
"Dear Patrick Gealogo,

Thank you very much for patience.

We have discussed your case with our head of department, but we are unable to assist you with this item, as this is a very minor problem in which we are unable to accept as a defect. So unfortunately we are unable to help you with this problem this time.

However, we have been in touch with Roswell Japan, and they have offered to deal with you directly, so please contact them for further assistance.

We are very sorry for your inconvenience, but your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely Yours,
Ryo Negishi"

--------------------------------

My Response:

"Dear Ryo-san,

Thank you for your consideration. However, I would hardly characterize this as a minor problem. This is a minor detail, but this is a major problem. How would you feel if you bought a $1,000 batman but just one tiny ear was missing, or one of the spikes from his gloves was gone and you were told it's a minor problem? If it should not be like that, it is most certainly a defect.

There is no point in safely packaging the item if Hobby Search does not care about it's customers' satisfaction enough to acknowledge any defect no matter how little.

I will happily go directly to Roswell, as they have been very gracious to deal with my needs so far, other collector's needs and have excellent customer service.

Unfortunately, I no longer feel comfortable recommending hobby search to other collectors for any high end items. And personally, I'd rather pay more for the kind of good customer service Roswell has to offer.

Thank you,
Patrick"

Last edited:
AS a result of this debacle,
I rescind any public support or recommendation I gave for
Hobby Search. Their cavalier response to a customers dissatisfaction to a defect on a high ticket item, which they consider to be a non defect and a minor problem is unacceptable.

Fortunately in this case, I am hoping Roswell will make good on this issue. I cannot prevent folks from buying high ticket items from h.s., but this is buyer be warned,...if you buy a defective item from Hobby Search, you may get burned as I did...I"ve bought from H.S. many times and each item is more than $300 USD, luckily I have had no problems with those.

But this is just not the kind of attitude you want when you are giving your money to a company miles away for an item that may or may not be defective without the possibility of replacement...

Last edited:
Damn......

:monkey1 ... mmm I do get where HS is coming from. with the amount of items they ship daily a item with a defect or problem would have to be on a larger scale as a actual broken piece or major paint app gone wrong in there eyes of course ... hope roswell can help you out demorathis

I do get where HS is coming from

I don't get where they're coming from at all, and I think demorathis has every right to feel absolutely furious. Yes, it's a casting flaw and not a breakage, but it's equivalent to a breakage in being detrimental to the statue's aesthetic and monetary value. Just what level of flaw do HS deem acceptable in a high-end statue like this?

It seems to me that what this does is send out a very clear message to anybody buying the Sano Alien from HS: your 1000-buck statue better arrive either 10/10 perfect or with a limb broken off, because anything in between doesn't register on their scale of values. Lesson certainly learned, I would say.

I just hope that Roswell now step up and look after demorathis by providing a replacement for him. And from everything I've heard about them I'm confident they will.

I don't get where they're coming from at all, and I think demorathis has every right to feel absolutely furious. Yes, it's a casting flaw and not a breakage, but it's equivalent to a breakage in being detrimental to the statue's aesthetic and monetary value. Just what level of flaw do HS deem acceptable in a high-end statue like this?

It seems to me that what this does is send out a very clear message to anybody buying the Sano Alien from HS: your 1000-buck statue better arrive either 10/10 perfect or with a limb broken off, because anything in between doesn't register on their scale of values. Lesson certainly learned, I would say.

I just hope that Roswell now step up and look after demorathis by providing a replacement for him. And from everything I've heard about them I'm confident they will.

No doubt ... hey i'm not supporting HS at all, just saying a large distributor of collectibles like them selves its easy for them to brush something like this off. we were all confident HS would do a replacement but apparently not ...

Right...
their mentality is
small detail=small problem

That's why I made the point about buying a Batman with a missing ear -- sure it's small, but it's an important part of it . ...

And the more expensive, the more vital it is for the item to be in mint condition...

I wasn't even going to send the statue back just because the lip
(it bugged me sure,
{not an excuse to have the same problem, of course}
but not enough to return it)
...but coupled with the the chest defect?

The replacement better not have other problems in lieu of these - it should be on par minus those issues -- and the base better have a straight post (if it is supposed to be straight and not leaning forward)

Damn....if I hadn't bought a 1:1 Boba Fett bust I would jump on this. Hopefully it'll be there next month so I can recuperate one funds. :gah::gah:

Here's a tip -- buy directly from Roswell.

Hobby Search will not accept it as a defect if you're missing so much as a finger

it'd have to be completely destroyed before they'd consider it a defect...

Back