New ALIEN Statue from Yoshihiko Sano

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be kinda trippy.

Something kind like these pics evoke.

sdstransalien.jpg

aliencostume.jpg

No elbow spurs! Definitelt the early concept versions based on the sculpt if i'mseeing correctly

Nope, no spurs on those elbows. The Giger museum piece doesn't have them, nor does the Sano statue. I'm probably going to add them though. I like the way they look.

Nope, no spurs on those elbows. The Giger museum piece doesn't have them, nor does the Sano statue. I'm probably going to add them though. I like the way they look.

By any chance will you also be adding the wrist ribs and adjust the fingers closer the the movie version? That'd be perfect!

I am seriously debating pairing up the fingers, yes. While I like that the kit is true to the museum model, the fingers were never separated like that in the movie.

At the same time, it is my belief that the fingers were joined so that they wouldn't wiggle around because they were so long. If it was for practical reasons rather than esthetics, I'm not so into it.

However, it did create a lasting characteristic for xenomoprphs to have paired fingers until Alien Resurrection (which is canon in my book, though entertaining).

If I add the spurs, I might was well pair the fingers, right?

I won't add the wrist ribs though. I'm very certain that was just to make putting the costume gloves on easier. It's also not my prefered look as it makes the alien look too much like a b-movie monster. The ribbing pattern doesn't seem to serve a biological function, and doesn't look natural to me, even for an alien, so I'll stick to the elegant sculpt of the wrists as is.

I still have to think about pairing. They clearly aren't designed to be joined even though they look like it most of the time. This picture throws me the other way again.

vlcsnap-126951.png

I think I'll use fanboy geek reasoning to come up with a suitable solution. I'll pretend that the Alien's finger aren't attached, but that it is his habit to hold his hands in a "not-living long and prosper" kind of manner which makes it look like the fingers are often paired, though not actually.

So, I will make the best of both worlds. I won't make them all touch, but some might. Others will just be close together like in the above pic. Esthetically it will have the look we are all used to without committing to a design detail that isn't truly so in the strictest sense.

The way I see it, the fingers were only fused at the last phalanges of what would be the index and middle finger, and ring and little finger, with both thumbs splayed out.

Well, I went ahead and tried to pair the fingers. Sadly, it can't be done properly. Because the fingers are sculpted so far apart, there is too much gap between them where they meet the palms. When I tried to join the fingers, it wasn't possible to closed the gap nearer the palm which created an elongated football shape between the fingers.

So, that's a fail. I'm just lucky I was able to get the fingers back where they used to be.

Damn, I had a feeling that would be the case...
Oh well, splayed fingers isn't that bad, my Medi-Alien has the same splayed fingers, I never did get around to gluing them.

The finger pairing is so inconsistent in the film that you can get away with either of the two looks. No one's judgin' (not when it's painted by SilentSurfer, anyway).

Worked my Alien Skull just a little more to give it more contrast and darker ribbing effect so it stands out better with the dome on. I also added the elbow spurs.

SanoAlienSkullFront.jpg

SanoAlienSkullTopRight.jpg

SanoAlienHeadRightFront.jpg

SanoAlienHeadRight.jpg

SanoAlienElbowSpurSide.jpg

SanoAlienElbowSpursRear.jpg

Next I will be permanently attaching the dome to the head and the head to the body, and then it's body paint time.:clap

SanoAlienAssembledFront.jpg

Back