Neil Sims Doctor Who sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys

Firstly I apologise to everyone for not getting in touch earlier. There's been a fair few people interested, but I've been hoping to reply as a group.

Hoping being the operative word...

I was shown the sculpt as an almost completed version just after the new series started. However the eyes were too small and the headsculpt slightly oversized (so the plan was to make adjustments, then recast to get a small shrinkage to adjust the scale.)

The plan was to cast, so I collected names from here and on Gallifreybase. Anyway, I hadn't heard so I phoned Neil. As it happened there was a mini-convention in South Shields on 6th June, and Neil said he would have the scukpts finished by then.

I tried to phone before that date (I knew there were a few people on here who were waiting so I was keen to be able to reply with some news) but no reply. I tried a few more times, by phone, mobile phone, text and email, but no response.

Neil is a very good mate of mine, and so I wanted to wait long enough to give him a chance, so I tried again a couple of days ago, but again no reply to my email.

Certainly I was conscious to hang on to get a happy resolution, but also that there were people waiting and expecting. To be honest I was a little embarrased because I felt let down that the casts hadn't appeared and I was hoping that they would and I could just start passing them on.

Anyway, just to clarify BCM's point, if it was directed at me, that noone has paid anything - I funded the project with cash upfront (silly me, I know but Neil is a mate).

So sorry for taking a while to respond, but I was aware of Neil delaying the Cybermen and didn't want to further affect his reputation, or beleive that really nothing was happening.

I do have one sculpt, but the right cheek is wrong and the nose and mouth would need altered. So I don't have the corrected ideal sculpt myself either.

And worse, I feel like I've lost a friend. He's a genuinely ethical bloke, and I can only assume he's unwell or otherwise in trouble because I find it hard to accept he would ignore me, but I've tried to contact him for over a month, a number of times, with no reply.

Finally, I apologise once more. I was sort of always waiting hpoming I'd have news the next week, but the next week kept passing.

----

I'm thinking of approaching a sculpter to commission a new run. Again I'll just pay the full fee upfront and then sell on afterwards. I'm hoping Billy might help point me in the right direction.

It is so disappointing too! Not one reply. When I sell on Ebay I answer ever question no matter how banal or un-serious the question!

:(

Can I just check, have you guys got your Cybermen sculpts yet? I know he had finished them (I've only ever see the head, chest unit, cybermat and bomb, but not the rest). He did mention he was due to cast them when I last spoke in MAy.

It's very worrying. I last spoke to him late May and he seemed OK, but clearly something has happened.

Hang in there, baby-j. He'll surface.

And don't be a stranger! Drop in more often!

:wink1:

Thanks Gruff.

OK, two pieces of news.

1. I still haven't heard from Neil. I have passed his email onto William S T privately in case he didn't have the latet email. Anyway, as I reiterate, he was fine in late May (about a week prior to the 6th June Dr Who meet in South Shields) but I couldn't get hold of him after that. Anyway, last night after being on here I trawled the web and found this, worrying, piece of news from Witchcraft Direct:

***** NEIL SIMS - STOP PRESS SUMMER 2010 - due to illness, ALL Neil Sims statues are now on indefinite hold, and it may be several MONTHS before we get fresh stocks. Please email us if you are interested in joining the waiting list and we will contact you when and if the situation changes. Due to the volume of enquiries, we will not enter into individual correspondence regarding Neil Sims statues ******

Which now has me worried. I knew he wouldn't just disappear. I'll try and find out whether he's OK.

2. As for the sculpt, I can show you all what I have so far, what mods need making (which I can do as I do sculpt myself) and most importantly the size. Another friend of mine approached me to say that he could cast them if I was totally stuck. So I'll post pics. If it's a case of a slight modification and the size is OK I can try and prusue another caster.

Hi Babyjelly.

Thanks for getting back to us. It would seem Neil is genuinely ill. In the past I have had contact with him and he has always replied but if there is complete silence from him ten the poor chap must be very ill.I do hope he gets better. Not for us but for himself and his family. At the end of the day we can have things made in plastic, resin or vinyl but the person making it is cast in flesh and blood and we all get ill at some stage in our life :(

I can easily make a moulds cast of the head you have received in fact I can make a load if you like as that when it needs modification you will have a load to work on and not just the one.

I will PM you details.

Cheers - J

Hi Babyjelly.

Thanks for getting back to us. It would seem Neil is genuinely ill. In the past I have had contact with him and he has always replied but if there is complete silence from him ten the poor chap must be very ill.I do hope he gets better. Not for us but for himself and his family. At the end of the day we can have things made in plastic, resin or vinyl but the person making it is cast in flesh and blood and we all get ill at some stage in our life :(

I can easily make a moulds cast of the head you have received in fact I can make a load if you like as that when it needs modification you will have a load to work on and not just the one.

I will PM you details.

Cheers - J

I will take you up on that - so the project, via the kind and helpful PrincipleMajesty, should get back on track after all. I'll PM further details back.

To everyone involved so far (I have a list of people who wanted a head) we should have news over the next few weeks. Bear with us as we try and get this resurrected.

I have another treat tonight - a Freaks exclusive- that should be of interest!:hi5:

Here's the one remaining head I have that should be castable.

The hair is too dark - I hadn't yet added the lighter shades - so it makes the face look too pale.

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

I think he looks out-of-this-world. Neil got his face and hair spot-on.

I remember the reference material was only based on location shots originally. There was a total lack of material until the series aired in late April and this was done before then. As such the look is based on the slightly longer hair from 'The Time of Angels' which, by happenstance, was my favourite story!

Looks really great Malcom. I hope Neil is OK though. It sure seems the great customizers have been having some real problems lately.

Has anyone had any recent contact with Neil. Tried to contact Babyjelly but being new to this forum not allowed to send private messages yet.

Neil vanished after never finishing several projects including a cyberman kit. No one here has ever done business with Baby Jelly either, so your guess is as good as mine

Neil had several bouts of bad luck and major personal problems around October 2009..a great shame his 'who' busts were superior collectables and there were so many figures he could have completed.....

I understand Neil at the moment is very ill. As for the Matt Smith head sculpts I made around 20 castings from a mould I made from the original head made by Neil and sent to me by Babyjelly; so now you he will be able to supply you with them if you PM him.

Cheers - PM

Back