Need help with new HD T.V.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What dvd's are you using to watch/test? some dvd's look horrible (most older DVDs) while others are near HD quality (something like Transformers).

And are you sure that the DVD player is set to the resolution you want? I believe they default at 480i, so you have to go to the main menu to change it to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p (if available). Keep in mind that not all DVD players are good at upscaling the picture, so maybe you have one with poor upscaling capabilities.

If you want a good site to find some good picture settings for your set, try www.avsforum.com. I don't remember if you need to register to see the threads, but if you type in your TV model number, you'll probably be able to find threads with some good optimal settings. the guys on this forum are uber-nerds when it comes to electronics.

OK, here's a few from Tropic thunder, it probably looks a lil more blurry in the pics, but to us it has a real grainy look...

Picture1377.jpg

Picture1376.jpg

Picture1375.jpg

Picture1374.jpg

What dvd's are you using to watch/test? some dvd's look horrible (most older DVDs) while others are near HD quality (something like Transformers).

And are you sure that the DVD player is set to the resolution you want? I believe they default at 480i, so you have to go to the main menu to change it to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p (if available). Keep in mind that not all DVD players are good at upscaling the picture, so maybe you have one with poor upscaling capabilities.

If you want a good site to find some good picture settings for your set, try www.avsforum.com. I don't remember if you need to register to see the threads, but if you type in your TV model number, you'll probably be able to find threads with some good optimal settings. the guys on this forum are uber-nerds when it comes to electronics.

Yeah we tried all the resolution settings on the DVD player, we even tried Transformers, and it still has the same grainy look..I dunno, maybe it is just a bad upscaling DVD player...

It will also depend on the Movie!!!
my DVD of grease looks like total crap & I have to run the picture on cinema view to make it look good(cuts the colour - & sharpness & brightness right back), where I put my Raider of the Lost Ark on in full Vivid & I'd almost swear it was was BlueRay. I'm running them through a PS3 on a Sony Bravia. I went through the full compliment of cables from worst to best & could see the graininess drop with each cable

You could simply be sitting to close as well, many people buy bigger screens & don't realise your supposed to sit further away the bigger the screen
By looking at pics above I'd select a custom setting & dull down the colours and sharpness as that will also show the pixals more

Well thanks for the advice guys, but it really is hard to convey if you can't actually see the TV picture in person..

I think Im just gonna have to deal with it until I get a BlueRay player later down the road, It just sucks if I won't be able to play all my regular DVD"s on it, I cant afford to replace all my DVD's with BlueRay ones..Thanks again guys :)

You can play regular DVD's in a Blu ray player.

I can't believe there are still people that don't know you can play regular DVD's on a Blu Ray player at this point.

You can play regular DVD's in a Blu ray player.

I can't believe there are still people that don't know you can play regular DVD's on a Blu Ray player at this point.

Well I heard that there's a chance that a BlueRay player won't be able to play all dvd's, and the ones that do play won't be much better quality than on a regular player :dunno

Well I heard that there's a chance that a BlueRay player won't be able to play all dvd's, and the ones that do play won't be much better quality than on a regular player :dunno

They should all work but if you expect a giant leap in quality from a standard DVD you will be very disappointed by the results. There is only so much upconversion can do since there is only so much information on a DVD as it is taking a 480 lines of resolution picture and blowing it up to 1080 lines. If you are using a lower end all in one system, that is probably your main issue.

Scaling: Low-res to Hi-res
Unless you have a CRT—or picture tube—HDTV, that LCD, plasma, or DLP rear-projection beauty that sits at the center of your home theater is a fixed-pixel display. It has a native resolution, be it 1024x768, 1366x768, 1920x1080, or a variation thereof. This pixel-per-scan-line by horizontal-scan-line count is what every moving image appearing on the TV is displayed at. Unfortunately, video signals come in all shapes and sizes, from the DVD’s 720x480 to 1080i HDTV’s 1980x1080 pixels.

The myriad video signals all have to be converted or scaled to fit the native resolution of an HDTV display. Thus, the upconverting DVD player’s video processor goes to work adding pixels to the DVD’s native resolution to fill up the HDTV's screen. To do so, algorithms copy parts of the surrounding pixels and interpolate what the DVD’s video should look like at a higher resolution.

The process of converting a DVD’s 480i signal to 480p, 720p, or 1080p is incredibly complex and, if done poorly, can wreak havoc on picture quality. Factors such as fast on-screen motion, rapid scene transitions, and video noise from the source material can produce the aforementioned jaggies, visible pixilation (i.e., the “screen door effect”), and color shifting. A powerful, well-integrated video processor will eliminate, or at least minimize, these eyesores.

Here is another good, if slightly outdated, article on CNET. It does mention the PS3 as a decent upconversion DVD player but there have been firmware updates for the PS3 that have increased it's DVD upconversion playback and it works very well.

https://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6859904-1.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the article Natrix...It was very informative and I learned alot, so im gonna try the few suggestions he had, but in the end I think Im just gonna get a PS3...The Toshiba TV we have is considered a good brand TV tho right? or a good video processing HDTV?

Hey guys, I just have a question about our TV....

Whenever we watch something in 1080i that has fast motion or say and action scene, there is some pixelation during that scene and it doesn't stop until it's over...Now is that normal with an HD TV? Something to do with our cable provider or because it's not a full 1080p signal coming thru? We have a full Toshiba 40' full 1080p TV if that helps... Thanks in advance for everybody :)

If that is cable or dish, it is going to be pretty much normal due to the compression of the signal.

Back