Action Figure Neca 1/4th Predator Custom Mod Thread Only

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great!
I finished repainting mine...man i love this figure!
lrg-3247-neca15.jpg

lrg-3259-neca3.jpg

lrg-3261-neca1.jpg

www.modelzone.com

This is insane ! :thud: :horror

Loving some of the customs in here. Great stuff.

I have a couple of points you screen accurate freaks may want to know though.

First, Steve Wang said on Facebook that the knee and elbow straps on the Pred are not supposed to be brown or simulated leather. They are black. He himself cut black cloth and applied them to the movie suit.

Second, the mesh look in the below shot is not on the mask lenses. What you see is a reflection in the lenses of the mesh over the a photography light used to diffuse that light so it wasn't as harsh as the light coming from our left side of the screen, making it look more like ambiant light instead of direct light. In photography this is called a 'Fill' light and is used to fill in areas that would othewise be totally in shadow. What you see is a reflection of the meshed Fill light that is giving the left side of his mask that soft illumination. There is no mesh on the lenses at all.

Last edited:
Loving some of the customs in here. Great stuff.

I have a couple of points you screen accurate freaks may want to know though.

First, Steve Wang said on Facebook that the knee and elbow straps on the Pred are not supposed to be brown or simulated leather. They are black. He himself cut black cloth and applied them to the movie suit.

Second, the mesh look in the below shot is not on the mask lenses. What you see is a reflection in the lenses of the mesh over the a photography light used to diffuse that light so it wasn't so harsh, making it look more like moonlight, and not like artificial production lighting. There is no mesh on the lenses at all.

Awesome info! Especially about the mesh on the lenses.
Saves a lot of hassle trying to match that LOL
So the knee straps are black, but are the elbow straps brown?
Also, any ideas what to use for the lenses on the bio and where to get it?

Knees and elbows are the same. If either looks brown, it may just be that they're muddy.

I personally would not replace the lenses. I would gloss black them, and then go over them lightly with with Alclad II Chrome to give it a black chrome look.

Knees and elbows are the same. If either looks brown, it may just be that they're muddy.

I personally would not replace the lenses. I would gloss black them, and then go over them lightly with with Alclad II Chrome to give it a black chrome look.

Gotcha. So are you going to be doing a repaint of this figure?
That is something I would love to see!
Quick noob question - Ive never tried using an airbrush or doing a full repaint before, but Im planning to learn how to do both at some point.
Id just like to know how you would go about painting the little "dots" on this predator. Would you use an air brush or paint brush?
Is an air brush even capable of such small details?
Thanks.

No, there isn't. What's REFLECTING this time is probably the blinds on the trailer window. When looking for 'mesh' in the lenses, consider the light source and refelctive property of the lenses.

Id just like to know how you would go about painting the little "dots" on this predator. Would you use an air brush or paint brush?
Is an air brush even capable of such small details?
Thanks.

A good airbrush and a careful hand could do those dots. If you're just starting out though, I'd do them with a small brush and thinned black paint. Make sure your brush tip has a bead of paint on it though, or your dots will look too jagged.

Yes, I will eventually be painting my own open mouth version, but probably not soon.

I'm happy to be wrong about it, but I still don't take that as proof. Hollywood Collectibles may have also used those references with reflected mesh and blinds in them. It's not like HCG went back in time to the movie set and looked at the original suit.

I kinda like the look of the mesh on the lenses, but I will probably go with just some sort of reflected lense. Anybody know if there is suppose to be some sort of bottom panel for the shoulder cannon support. It looks kinda empty on the bottom and I was thinking of making a full or partial enclosure for it.

interesting, so it was the honeycomb on the strobe light or flash that was reflecting on the biohelmet lens. great detective work SS, that does kinda makes sense. :]

Honey%20Comb.jpg

I'm happy to be wrong about it, but I still don't take that as proof. Hollywood Collectibles may have also used those references with reflected mesh and blinds in them. It's not like HCG went back in time to the movie set and looked at the original suit.

"For the first time not only can you own a Predator Bio Helmet from the original Stan Winston molds, but also the same creative team who worked on the movie have painstakingly designed the inside of the helmet with the same attention to detail they brought to the original movie. "

Maybe someone should ask Steve Wang about the lens mesh.

Last edited:
Steve Wang also made changes to the Cinemaquette statue that he didn't like about the regular design (like the scarring from the battle damage on the mask), but I think the deal with the mesh in the lenses is that they're partially transparent so if light hits them, or what-not, then you can see through them somewhat and the mesh is on the inside of the lenses. Kinda like how you can sometimes partially see someones eyes through their sunglasses. Anyone who has a HT P2, look at the lenses on the mask through a light and you'll see what I mean. They're smooth on the outside, partially transparent and have a mesh design on the inside.

Back