My try at building the 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think building the levers with styrene tubes and brass rods would give you the look you're after. You have scratch building skills, try not to let the 3D printer overshadow that.

I think building the levers with styrene tubes and brass rods would give you the look you're after. You have scratch building skills, try not to let the 3D printer overshadow that.

I didn't think of using that. I should give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

Well here is my 1st attempt with the Aluminum and brass tubes to build the levers. Best I could do at 1/6 scale.

IMG_20150806_223306 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Anyone else work with his stuff? if so how did you or what did you use to help with the cutting of the metal tubes? They seem to be easily deformed when you cut them. Thanks in advance.:)

IMG_20150806_224058 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Looks good!

I use this stuff a lot. I used to cut them with a dremel, but later picked up a tiny miter box and a hobby saw. it works well. You usually still need to clean them up a bit afterwards with a small file. Best tip I can give is don't try to conserve material. In other words if you need a length thats 3mm long DO NOT think that cutting a 6mm piece in half is a great idea. With stuff this small you need something to hold onto while you cut. If not it ends up a disaster.

I've also found that the aluminum is much easier to cut than the brass. At least for me.

Keep up the great work.

Did some more painting and detailing of the console( worked on the front upper panels of the console).

Here are the yokes painted:

IMG_20150817_151528 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

here is the under panels:
IMG_20150817_151558 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150817_151607 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150817_151632 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Still have a couple more greeblies to add to it.

Over all look so far:

IMG_20150817_153019 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150817_153028 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

IMG_20150817_153046 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr
IMG_20150817_153103 by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Any suggestions for lighting source for in-between the panels. EL wire was not strong enough. Space in-between is @ 3mm. Thoughts??? :)

thanks in advance.

Well...they also make EL "tape" in various widths and whole sheets of the stuff too so you can cut out whatever shape you want. From what I've seen though that stuff is tricky to solder. Probably best to get the premade stuff.

You could try a thin sheet of clear acrylic and frost it by sanding it with 400 grit sandpaper (or a frosting spray). Then edge light it with a series of small LEDs. That may work. The thicker the acrylic sheet the brighter and the better it will distribute the light. 3mm isn't much though.

Fibre optics would be the ultimate and yield the best results, but its a lot of work.

Try the EL tape.

Back