My presentation to a local area Arts Guild

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Walker

Digging my way out!
Reaction score
Last night I not only attended the local Art Guild meeting at the Okefenokee Heritage Center in Waycross, Georgia (our only REAL local museum) and became a member of the Center, and also became a member of the Arts Guild, and in what I consider a Rite of Passage manner, I gave a presentation at the meeting of my figure works.
It was fun, lasted about an hour, and now all the guild members know me and know more about my figureal art, as well as what we all do as collectors.

I took some 16 or so of my personal figures, and a couple of heads in various degrees of completion, and some closeup photos mounted to foamcore sheets on easels, to show details on how I paint, and share all that with the group. THen we ate good stuff and just had fun!

Here's some shots of the affair....

Laying down the line! "WE are not just grown men playing with DOLLS!"
(I didn't come on that strong, but it seems to tag the photo better, so just go with me on it! :D )

Used closeup photos of my paintwork to explain what it is I do with the figures. I actually had to point out that these were not THE actors, but my works. That part was fun.

This was really fun, letting all the attendees handle and learn about figure bodies, from GI Joes of old, in order to the modern and more sophisticated ones of today...they did ask if we PLAYED with our figures, because why have such articulation if we didn't?...Answering that one was interesting.

They got to get up after the talk and see some of the figures up close. No one touched any so they were all a well behaved bunch.
Some of the ones I took...

And I had to show off my Ed Asner autographed shot when he recieved the figure made of him as Lou Grant, and how I got it and worked on my part of it and all, with them...

All in all, a very fun and amazingly liberating night. It felt great to finally explain what I do to normally uninterested, but creative locals who didn't know. I got to brag on and mention the works of quite a few names from here, Spencer, MFisher, Trevor Grove, Sovereign Shawn, MaulFan, Gruff, VikkiTX, BillyB, Xenoviper, Darren, Dark Artist, Josh Small, Seb, and some of the sculptors and artists, and companies and such, while explaining all this to them. It was really cool to see how they reacted and learned about OUR HOBBY!

Our quest to inform and liberate the figure ignorant masses has just begun! More power to us! :rock

Now if we can just get them to stop thinking of us as big kids!

Wait! We are! :lol

Last edited:
You go, Les!!!! :rock

Do you have a pic of your Ed Asner figure?

Last edited:
I think Gruff Old Bear does. I'll see. Not many in hand. That one was a signed shot, and it's not a good one of the figure. More pics to come as soon as I can get them in here. Thanks!

Interesting! And great to see where this hobby can lead too. Very inspiring Les! Just like lonnie, I'm pretty curious about that Metropolis statue... . Please tell us more about it!

Do you have a pic of your Ed Asner figure?

It's the slim-trim Ed Asner of "Lou Grant," his 1977 dramatic spin-off after "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" ended.

Edfig.jpg

Great pictures, Les. I'm sure you made kidults of 'em all!

Way to go, Les. :clap Those figure photos came out really well! Where did you get that real hair for Nurse joker? :lol Inside joke.

Honestly, amazing display and my Congrats on your Joining the Guild and all that comes with. The Master is now a Waycross Art Jedi. :cool:

Back