My LOTR/Hobbit/Weta Haul from Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dback25

Freaked Out
Reaction score
The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo was blessed this year with having a few of the actors from LOTR and The Hobbit show up this year. John Rhys-Davies, Craig Parker, Mark Ferguson and Slyvester McCoy allow with Weta Workshop Founder Sir Richard Taylor. I was able to get an auto from John, Craig and Richard, I blow my budget before I got Sylvester's and Mark's.

Here are some photo's from the show

John's signing
IMG_0161_zpsfabd393c.jpg

I really should have gotten a photo-op with him.

Craig and Myself
IMG_0162_zpsea2e306c.jpg

John and Craig's Autograph's
IMG_0164_zpsbf51da38.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsf9f31dd5.jpg

Richard Taylor's autograph in The Hobbit Chronicles book
f50a0627-07de-4d19-895d-df24dd4d865d_zps4766e180.jpg

And an additional autograph he gave me.
IMG_0181_zps15b1f575.jpg

At John Rhys-Davies Panel
This man is so full of wisdom and great stories. We were lucky enough that the panel before this was done early and came out on stage about 10 mins. before he should have. He talked a lot about LOTR, everything from costumes, voicing Treebeard (which he mentioned has a long process) and the overall experience of it. John even recited a few lines from the movie in character. He talked a lot about his life, Sliders (which he didn't enjoy) and only touched a very briefly on Indiana Jones (but did Sallah's voice.)
IMG_0167_zps63f45241.jpg

IMG_0166_zps450bd3a9.jpg

Weta Panel

This was probably one of the panels I most was looking forward to. Richard first did a little background on himself and how he got started (used margarine for scuplting,) how Weta got started, some of the movie effects they have done, and a little visual tour of the Weta. Next he went over designs of the dwarves and the process of finally hashing out the designs. Oddly enough he said that Gloin was the first and easiest since they had Glimi as a reference. Lots of cool insight into the process of making prosthetics,wigs,clothes and weapons. He even acknowledged those that did everything. This panel should have been way longer than it was. When I got the autograph, it told that as well that I could have listened to him all afternoon talk about Weta. I wish I could remember the name of the other gemtleman they came along with him. But he manned the Weta booth answering questions people had. PLus he was walking around with Radagast's staff the entire time.

IMG_0171_zpsefa61dc3.jpg

IMG_0172_zps5a932597.jpg

The haul of the day.
Managed to pick up this little thing as well. Nothing special at all

DSCF5455_zpsa3610c95.jpg

DSCF5456_zpsb4857bdb.jpg

DSCF5459_zps75d9d554.jpg

SAY WHAT! When I first got it I never even looked at the number on the box until I put in the car when I left.

Needless to say it was a great con experience. Sorry for the long read and lots of pictures.

Steve

Looks like you had a great time. Seeing all of that would have to have been a blast. Also, getting the last # in the series for that statue is sweet! Thanks for sharing! :rock

What booth/store did you pick up Thorin from??

This is one reason why I didn't go or even look at the expo page this year. I need to hold onto all of my money for upcoming orders and knew I'd spend a fortune there.

Weta had a Friggin booth there?????? F##K ME!!! If I knew that, I would have gone.

It's such a good thing I didn't go. I would have spent all of my money for The Reaper at this booth.
At the same time, I'm so pissed I missed it now.

What booth/store did you pick up Thorin from??

This is one reason why I didn't go or even look at the expo page this year. I need to hold onto all of my money for upcoming orders and knew I'd spend a fortune there.

On the last day they Bilbo and Gandalf for $50 off each. I should have bought them as well. I was on a budget as well but only went $100 over.

I can't believe Weta had a booth there. This thing gets bigger and bigger every year. Calgary is a rich city. Wonder how well they did.

very awesome experience from the looks of it. congrats on being able to attend. wish things like that happened in my area

I can't believe Weta had a booth there. This thing gets bigger and bigger every year. Calgary is a rich city. Wonder how well they did.

If you mean the Weta Booth, very I think. All the Keys of Erebor sold out, the Smaug statue was sold, sold out of Thorin's maps, someone bought all the staues and the swords and belt sold.

that must have been awesome to go to. Seriously considering picking up Dwalins axes after seeing the picture, anybody have them? they worth the money?

At John Rhys-Davies Panel
This man is so full of wisdom and great stories. We were lucky enough that the panel before this was done early and came out on stage about 10 mins. before he should have. He talked a lot about LOTR, everything from costumes, voicing Treebeard (which he mentioned has a long process) and the overall experience of it. John even recited a few lines from the movie in character. He talked a lot about his life, Sliders (which he didn't enjoy) and only touched a very briefly on Indiana Jones (but did Sallah's voice.)
IMG_0167_zps63f45241.jpg

IMG_0166_zps450bd3a9.jpg

Weta Panel

This was probably one of the panels I most was looking forward to. Richard first did a little background on himself and how he got started (used margarine for scuplting,) how Weta got started, some of the movie effects they have done, and a little visual tour of the Weta. Next he went over designs of the dwarves and the process of finally hashing out the designs. Oddly enough he said that Gloin was the first and easiest since they had Glimi as a reference. Lots of cool insight into the process of making prosthetics,wigs,clothes and weapons. He even acknowledged those that did everything. This panel should have been way longer than it was. When I got the autograph, it told that as well that I could have listened to him all afternoon talk about Weta. I wish I could remember the name of the other gemtleman they came along with him. But he manned the Weta booth answering questions people had. PLus he was walking around with Radagast's staff the entire time.

IMG_0171_zpsefa61dc3.jpg

IMG_0172_zps5a932597.jpg

The haul of the day.
Managed to pick up this little thing as well. Nothing special at all

DSCF5455_zpsa3610c95.jpg

DSCF5456_zpsb4857bdb.jpg

DSCF5459_zps75d9d554.jpg

SAY WHAT! When I first got it I never even looked at the number on the box until I put in the car when I left.

Needless to say it was a great con experience. Sorry for the long read and lots of pictures.

Steve

Love it...Congrats for the experience and getting 700/700...The Last Thorin Exclusive...I always wanted one of those last number L/Es

Back