My Latest LOTR Addition. My Precious....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsy

Super Freak
Reaction score
472947.JPG

472948.JPG

472949.JPG

472950.JPG

Just wanted to show the latest edition to my LOTR collection. SS/Weta never did justice to Gollum so I had this one built.

Great sculpt, bad hair. Basically what Josh said.

goliath said:
Cool!

Who's made it? Are there more of it? :gollum:

He had it built, so my guess... It's a custom. A very good one at that. Just a bit too much on the top.

I just noticed the reflection is totally wrong, heh.

jlcmsu said:
I like everything but the hair.

I had the option of having a hole drilled in his head and going with synthetic hair, but I wanted Gollum to look as though he was part of the SS/Weta collection. Which is also why I went SS/Weta Morgul Lord base.

That's cool. I just think the hair could have been sculpted a little better but its a nice piece none the less.

Very cool statue! The hair is a little thick and brown, which is throwing it a little off, but a fantastic sculpt all around. That reflection in the pool is too cool.

The sculpt is actually a resin model kit by Gabriel Marquez. The rocks, pool and fish were done by hand and the whole thing was professionally painted. Overall the quality is outstanding, the pictures don't really do it justice. Could do with a bit less hair, but I'm not complaining.The statue stands just over 9' with Gollum being 5 1/4 " tall. I've tried to figure out the scale but it's pretty tough since he's in a crouched position....I think somewhere between 1/4 and 1/5 scale.

I will echo what everyone else has said. Looks great except for the hair.

I'm thinking the hair is just a little too dark brown.

I have the same resin statue & don't remember the hair standing out as much as it does on your photos. Mine has quite a plain rock with no pool as it was all i could afford at the time.

I like what you've had done with the pool / reflection and the SS base. I've seen many different bases including ones with clear resin pools & gravel etc which look kind of neat (they were quite expensive). Also a bit of foliage (like the model train & warhammer people use) looks nice & adds effect.

carbo-fation said:
This looks really good! Congrats!:)

Thanks, I am really happy with this statue. Seems like the only complaint is the hair, which is something that can easily fixed. Since forums were created for just this very reason I am open to suggestions. Do I lighten up the color of the hair, giving it a lighter and more thinned out look. Do I have some of the hair "dremeled" off Gollum's head...or both. Fire away!

wow, that is an amazing piece. I love the reflection in the water... clever touch. The detailing in the sculpt and paint is fabulous.

Dremelling the hair could work, but at that scale would be very risky... one slip and you've gouged a hole in the thing.

It's difficult without seeing a set of front/side/back photos of the sculpt... but maybe washing or drybrushing some of the head skin colour over the hair might thin the appearence down a bit. or even to mix the hair colour.... and mix the skin colour. Then mix the two together... and add that over it, hopefully making the hair less stand out and pushing it back in the viewers eye and coloser to the skin. This would give the impression of making it smaller.

I use this trick when I'm painting my own things. But again, it's hard to really say without back/side photos. But still.... a simply wonderful piece!!

Darren

i thought that this is very nice, other than the hair. the reflection in the water is a very nice idea/concept. overall great piece to have in the collection. nice work!

Kookie said:
I like Sideshow's version better

What was it about the SS Gollum trinket that you liked better?? Was it the puny scale, the lousy sculpt, or the horrific paint job?

Assuming the whole thing is lacquer-sealed, you could try an acrylic primer and experiment with a softer color, knowing you can wipe the whole thing down if you're unhappy. I'd go back to the buildup artist and pay for a touchup. (Mind sharing the buildup artist's identity?) I don't think the bulk of the hair is such a big deal, it just needs to a mousy dishwater color so it "goes away" more. Wasn't it actually grey in the film? Dremeling can be done with some very tiny needle-like diamond bits, but frankly, I wouldn't. At best you'll end up with something so fragile you'll never be able to move it.

The idea of embedding the "other" Gollum in the pool, advising Smeagol to turn on Frodo, is simply out of this universe. I'd love to know how it was done -- what the print was, what the water material is that didn't disrupt the ink in the print. I know there are products made specifically for water effects, but you can also get clear resin from any resin supplier. Do you know what he used?

Last edited:
Thanks Darren and Gruff Old Bear for your suggestions. I think you are both right concerning the dremeling idea. I will stick with your paint suggestions.

BTW the artist's name is John Allred, his website is https://www.herebemonsters.org/

Back