My house was gutted by fire...NOT!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McHavyck

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, okay I had a fairly terrifying morning.:horror

I am at work and just going on my morning break when my cell rings. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't recognize the number, but answered anyhow.

This is the conversation...

Caller: Is this Chris?
Me: Yes, it is. What's up?
Caller: It's Ron. I have some bad news for you.

At this point I am thinking to myself I don't know a Ron.

Me: Um, okay.
Ron: Your house was just gutted by a fire. The fire trucks are there trying to put it out. I'm on my way there now.
Me: Oh my God.
Ron: Where are you?
Me: At work.
Ron: So there was no one home? Good.

It was just then that two things occurred to me...1)My landlord's name is not Ron and 2)I never gave my landlord my cell phone number.

Longish story short, as it turns out there is someone else out there named Chris who has apparently been giving out my cell phone number. I realized what was going on when I calmed down enough to remember that I had received two calls for a Chris a few months back that weren't meant for me.

WHEW!!!

And the funniest thing...in the minute or two I thought it was my place my first concern was about my two cats, not my stuff. :monkey2

Well, maybe that's not so funny.:eek:

That other Chris is going to have a really ^^^^ty suprise when he gets home then.
Well better him than you anyway

Actually I was told he also works for the state of PA, so I tried to find out which office he works in but had no luck.

I just called Ron back and was told he did get ahold of him this morning.

Thanks, Nocturne.

That other Chris is going to have a really ^^^^ty suprise when he gets home then.
Well better him than you anyway

karma :lecture the guy gives out other peoples phone numbers, his house burns down. the 2 dont really compare but karma all the same. glad all is good mc.

and sorry to the other guy :monkey2

Do you know this other Chris ? How would he have gotten hold of your number to give it out ?

The only thing I could think of is if he couldn't remember his own number and kept it in the phone's memory and put it under his name. Long shot I know.

Bet you needed a stiff drink after the relief anyway though.

Holy moly. While you calmly thought about that I'd have been on my way home, getting 5 speeding tickets and having a coronary worrying about my pets...and my Buffy collectibles, all the way there. YEeSh!

You mean the dude who called me?
Nope, I just didn't recognize it.

Apparently this other Chris has been giving my number out for months.

Yeah, the other guy's number.

So there's another Chris out there with a vendetta against you? This is freaky man. Did you call back the guy who called you?

Edit: Just read the other posts.

good news bro!!! glad everything is ok. Feel bad for the other Chris, although i don't know he's been giving your number out.

Yeah, I have no idea who the other Chris is. And I think that was the case that he apparently didn't know his own number and was accidentally giving mine out.

edit: I think the phone company may have given me a recycled number. I am calling them tomorrow to see if they will change it without charging me.

Last edited:
Back