My Dog Is Sick: Need Advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an 18 month old black lab names zeus. Ever since Friday afternoon he hasn't been eating and will only drink water occasionally. When he does drink water, a few minutes later he vomits it up with a gooey substance and yellow stomach bile.

Any advice on what may be wrong and what I can do to help him?

He doesn't have any other symptoms. He isn't acting drunk and his stool doesn't appear to have any blood. Only thing different is that he seems to have a really low energy level.

14367_205704095795_620715795_3540225_3651632_n.jpg

You will want to see a vet to find out for sure, obviously, but once my mom's dog acted similarly to that after eating something that his stomach wouldn't digest. The vet had to do surgery to get it out.

He could also have eaten something poisonous.

Well taking him to the vets is the best bet.

Do you feed your dog bones or could he have eaten some without you knowing?
My dog eats anything and everything and usually throws up bile when his stomach can't take it.
The lack of energy is down to him not eating so try and get him to eat.
But if he won't then it's time to visit the vet.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Marc. Hope he gets better soon.

Like karamazov80 said, most likely he ate something he shouldn't have. Best to take him to the vet.

You need to take him to a vet as soon as possible. It could be something simple, like a stomach ache. It could be something serious like a major digestive system trauma.

Any time an animal stops eating or drinking for more than 24 hours, especially if they can't hold down what they do eat or drink, it becomes important to get them to the vet fast. The longer you wait, the more they may have to do to get your pet better. It's better to pay a small vet bill, than wait and have to pay for IV fluids, overnight stays and surgery.

Yeah, without question, you need to get him to the vet. There should be no waiting on that one. The vet will have all your answers.

My dog did this a couple of months ago, turned out that he'd swallowed a tennis ball :(.

Get him to a vet ASAP :lecture

Edit: take him outside and see if he will eat some grass, if he does have something stuck in the gut it might help bring it up.

Last edited:
Found some info that might be helpful:

Veterinarian Eric Barchas said:
There is a chance that the problem (vomiting yellow bile) is caused by excess acid that accumulates in the stomach. The acid can irritate the stomach, leading to vomiting. Diarrhea might occur occasionally too if the irritation spreads throughout the system.

As well, your dog might suffer from a very mild form of inflammatory bowel disease, or IBD. Dogs and cats with IBD develop chronic irritation in their intestines, which may cause them to vomit or have diarrhea at unpredictable intervals.

Some Dude said:
My dog was doing the same thing a few months ago. He would vomit yellow bile with white foam on it. Soon after, he lost his appetite, started gaging, caught a runny nose, started sneezing and became very tired. We took him to the vet and it turned out that he had kennel cough that became pneumonia. So it is a possibility that your dog might have the beginning stages of kennel cough. You should keep an eye on it and if any of these other symptoms start occurring then you should definitely take him to see the vet.

Edit: take him outside and see if he will eat some grass, if he does have something stuck in the gut it might help bring it up.

Yeah this always helps my dog fix her upset stomach. If you can't afford the vet try the Humane Society. They will usually help people that don't have the $$ for expensive Vet bills.

Thanks for the advice everyone...

Prog - we tried gettting him to eat rice but he has zero interest in food. We took a turkey baster and made him drink some beef broth. We'll be taking him to a vet shortly.

My dog did this and it turned out he was allergic to his food. Make sure your dog food has NO corn what so ever in it. Dogs can't digest corn very well and some can't at all. It surprises me that so many foods have one or more kinds of corn in it. My dog can't have wheat either, so I switched him to a no grain food.

https://www.4pawsu.com/dogfood.htm

Just got back from the vet. She said if it weren't for what we were telling her she wouldn't have known he was sick. (getting in the car made him excite up a bit). She felt around and everything seemed normal. She thought he either has gastritis or a possible obstruction. She gave us some meds to help him feel less queesy in his stomach and get rid of gas. If that's not it then it is likely an obstruction which means surgery - - which means we would need to put him to sleep. I have already sold off the greater portion of mu star wars collection to pay bills, so a surgery is just not possible.

Hopefully he starts eating in the next few days and it turns out to be gastritis.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

My dog was acting similar a month or so ago and when he finally had a bloody BM we took him to the vet. I was an infection of some sort (they did a blood test and could tell from that). So he got some anitbiotics and nausea meds and within a day or two he flet like his normal self and has been fine since. So hopefully thats the case with Zeus. Who knows, it may just be something just going around in the area :dunno

Just got back from the vet. She said if it weren't for what we were telling her she wouldn't have known he was sick. (getting in the car made him excite up a bit). She felt around and everything seemed normal. She thought he either has gastritis or a possible obstruction. She gave us some meds to help him feel less queesy in his stomach and get rid of gas. If that's not it then it is likely an obstruction which means surgery - - which means we would need to put him to sleep. I have already sold off the greater portion of mu star wars collection to pay bills, so a surgery is just not possible.

Hopefully he starts eating in the next few days and it turns out to be gastritis.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Pix there are places that will help you with your animal bills if you need it, and also, if he does need surgery, check with the humane society or other animal groups. Sometimes they will take the dog, fix it up, and adopt it out. Better than having him put down.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out okay.

Pix there are places that will help you with your animal bills if you need it, and also, if he does need surgery, check with the humane society or other animal groups. Sometimes they will take the dog, fix it up, and adopt it out. Better than having him put down.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out okay.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

Back