My Custom Avengers Diorama - entire build process :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Build progress on my custom Avengers Diorama

Awesome. Well that may be a quick solution vs hand painting then. I'll definitely check in to it and do some trial runs :hi5:

This place rocks for all the experience and insight. :clap

I know where that will be a HUGE advantage: painting all my tiny 'chips' of foam, to simulate small rubble. Hand painting all that would have been :gah: :slap

This looks amazing. Love the amount of detail you are putting into everything. Keep up the good work.

Thanks :) I have 2 projects going [learning a new sound board workings for my church] so this may back-burner for a few days.

:gah:

For really small chunks of rubble, I've done the following in the past:

- get a decent sized, low profile box - the lid from a box of copier paper is ideal for this
- spread a thin layer of sand across the bottom of the box - just enough sand to cover the bottom of the box
- get a couple/few cans of cheap spray paint - gray/black/brown
- get to an area of good ventilation
- spray a heavy layer of one of the colors of paint over the sand
- let paint dry completely
- if you used enough paint, you should have a hard shell of paint over the sand
- break up the paint/sand shell into chunks
- a lot of the sand underneath the top layer will still be just individual grains of unpainted sand
- spread out the chunks and remaining sand into a thin layer again
- repeat the painting/drying/breaking-into-chunks/spreading-out cycle using a different paint color
- do this a number of times, alternating the two or three chosen paint colors you have

At the end of all of this you will have some small, multi-color, naturally looking, good-for-1/6-scale, chunks of rubble... along with some grains of painted sand, and quite a bit of paint dust. The size of the chunks is up to you - break them up as you see fit. Biggest thing to remember is to make sure you use a lot of paint each time so it binds the sand grains together.

To apply to the dio (assuming you will be permanently attaching all of the debris to the base), apply your big chunks of (pre-painted) foam to the dio & glue them down. Then sprinkle your sand-paint-debris-chunks/paint dust over the dio. Finally, mix up some white glue (Elmer's) with some water - 1/3 glue to 2/3 water - get that mixture into a spray bottle, and spray liberally over the entire dio. Let dry completely, repeat a time or two. Glue/water mixture will dry clear, and will bind the debris to the surface it is sitting on.

Love the dedication in time in effort put into this, Craig! Coming along beautifully. Also, how nice it is to see a thread where everyone's coming together with recognition and lending their knowledge. Very cool. Thanks for cataloging your work and letting us all be a part of it, man! Big respect!

I was expecting to see > :impatient:

:lol

2 things, yes I was at Comic Con NO, and #2 I have been installing a new sound system at my church. I've literally been up there until 10:00 every night this week. Worn out. But can't wait to get back to it, trust me. :)

It's basically still sitting at same spot as the pic in post 283 :/

There we go

59b86743ff6b62a108cb0d41fdbaff03_61295.gif

:) Thanks, made me smile. I'll get back on it this weekend [I hope]......sound system is almost 100% go.

I may be quite late to this thread, but the work here...is wonderful. It really does inspire me to collect more and build a great diorama like yours! Resources to create one is limited here in the Middle-East, but there is hope yet!

Keep up the great work!

Making a crap load of individual bricks. Purpose is to break up the lines of my support bases, so they won't look so "constructed"....

059118c5f31bae475a27c8540386a4c1.jpg

Back