My Aragorn review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just one review tonight, but it's one of the most anticipated figures this year. Sideshow announced the Lord of the Rings line 10 months ago, and the first pre-order was for Aragorn. He's now shipping in both regular and exclusive versions, and while he's not as perfect as I'd hoped, he's certainly better than I had anticipated from some of the early buzz on the web. His outfit and accessories really are outstanding, but the paint and sculpt didn't quite match up with the prototype expectations.

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

And don't forget that there's only one week left to get your guaranteed order in at Toy-Pix (https://www.toy-pix.com)! Wave 2 is already in the planning stages, so sign up for the newsletter to get the early news.

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

Thanks for the review, always interesting and informative as usual, and I was eagerly awaiting our thoughts on this one!

I have to agree with pretty much everything you had to say there. Great review!!!

And as always....
:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock
review_12aragorn_14.jpg

Yep, dead on review again Michael. Ultimately for me, the sculpt and paint app changes (although minor) from proto to prod took some of the expected quality away for this figure, but the beard, eyebrows and jacket are touch-up mods so they can be resolved... unfortunately the eyes/expression seem to be a bigger problem...

The accessories more than make up for it, but my biggest problem with SSC is their lack of consistency from proto to prod.

Still a great figure. :D

Last edited:
Michael,
you mention the seams on the duster seem to be straining, but I think the loose connection between the sleeves and torso is intentional. I remember the costume designer talking about how she made the sleeves removable, something that the character may need to do in warmer weather or some such, kinda like a middle earth version of running pants that unzip at the knee to become shorts!

Man I watched those DVD documentaries a lot!:lol

seems like an oddly low score when you look at all the 3, 3 1/2, and 4 star scoring categories and when in one of the 2 1/2 star scores, value, you write "...you are getting pretty much what you're paying for." seems like value isn't just getting a bargain, but getting what you're paying for. Not perfect but a really nice figure.

I agree with the 3! after all the anticipation for him (don't get me wrong I still love it).. he did fall short of expectations for such a huge delay!

Great review MC!

nice review! surprised u didn't mention that his right eye is higher than his left. wish the factory would stop trying to remove the molds too early. i love this fig tho. he's taken top spot for best SS 12"er.

ffl1940 said:
seems like an oddly low score when you look at all the 3, 3 1/2, and 4 star scoring categories and when in one of the 2 1/2 star scores, value, you write "...you are getting pretty much what you're paying for." seems like value isn't just getting a bargain, but getting what you're paying for. Not perfect but a really nice figure.

That's because the sculpt and paint are always the biggest weights for me in just about any review.

And getting what you pay for isn't going to be a four star value - if it was, when you got great value (more than just what you're paying for) there wouldn't be anything to give it. Sort of like saying "Eh, the sculpt is about average for what I expected so it's four stars". A isn't for average.

Very nice review Mike. The only real issue I have with this figure is the weathering of the coat and that's a pretty minor issue. Other than that, this is a fantastic figure. I'd post pics of him, but I can't even get any that do him any justice.

Just got mine and it is a cool figure. Watch the quiver strap though because it is pretty easy to snap off. Mine was adjusting very well (at all) so I tried to put it on it didn't work so good. I am also not sure if I got the pendant or not but I will look again. It might have just slipped in the case.

Great review as always... and glad to see Connor in action again.

Glad someone else noticed those clod-hoppers of his... I was kinda bothered by those giant feet. But like you said its a solid figure overall, but I do wish the finished product had just been slightly better.

Oh and Necromancer... the pendant is under the jerkin (or at least it should be).

Yep, he's wearing the Evenstar. It would be pretty tough for it to slip off by itself, so yours is probably there, hiding on you.

Its interesting to see how the scores of the figures evolve over time. Both the Toybiz and Sideshow Aragorn get *** (sure the $20 price tag on Toy Biz helped). But comparing them in pictures the Toybiz one looks pretty terrible. Interesting to see how much more selective we have become as the 1/6 market gets more and more detailed and high-end.

It certainly seems to be a good time for 1/6 collectors, even if we are all broke as a joke :monkey2

Well, let's keep in mind that each year overall quality gets better and better in all scales. A Mcfarlane figure from 10 years ago was the best thing going, but don't compare that to a recent Mcfarlane figure - there's no comparison.

No doubt, but it seems like the smaller scale market is plateauing. There doesn't seem to be much from MacFarlane or NECA that is innovative and mind-blowing. There are some great figures and interesting liscenses but it seems with the reluctance of retailers to carry adult-oriented collectibles that segment is stagnating and they're not going for anything to improve on what they've already got going.

Back