My 1st Custom - The Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helpmepleaseimnuts

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi there,

i just resently started collecting
and after seeing so many of you peeps do these grand custom's
i decided to try it (knowing im no where near your league it just looked fun)

I choose to use the dead-doctor figure for my 1st try
as no matter how much you try i dont think you can mashup blood on a zombie.
Im not finished with this yet, i still want to cut 1-2 fingers off.

i tried many different teq's withthe paint .. im not really happy with it but i have to learn tones and shades and how to blend them and make it look fresh or aged and to make it look realistic.

Im sure the more i try the more i will learn so please feel free to leave any tips or hints to help me in the way of customing as i really enjoyed get the stuff sitting in front of the tv just chilling with a beer andd having some fun with paint.
Also please tell me of any good paints you know of, i used games workshop's Citadel paints

dsc00506vp2.jpg

dsc00480xp9.jpg

dsc00505el9.jpg

dsc00504jo7.jpg

dsc00503rx8.jpg

dsc00474cg6.jpg

dsc00513fa0.jpg

dsc00512hp7.jpg

Thanks for looking

Work on the Blood. I did a custom not long ago which required lots of blood and its very tough to get the right shade. Besides that, it looks terrific!!!!!

Great work man! This is exactly how it started for me as well... Just having fun, chilling with a beer and playing with paint. You will be amazed at where this will take you, just have fun and keep it up bro.

And I agree with Shai, the open wounds look awesome. :rock

Thanks for your nice comments.

I was never happy withg the blood on the coat but once i put it on i relised i had to live with it lol i will see if maybe i can add some water to it to see if i can rub the paint into the fabric somemore so it doesnt stand out so much

The open wounds are my fav and they look great when the light hits it.

Good advice on the blood... The thing about blood stains on clothing, they never have a single color or are that bright. It took me a while to find a way to replicate how it really looks, so I experimented and researched a lot of photo reference.

Mix up 3 different shades of red. A really deep dark red, a medium hue and plain red. Splatter it in several layers. But keep it darker looking. When Blood dries it looks brown in reality, so when you do blood on a figure, keep that in mind and your work will look awesome in the end. :rock

And use a toothbrush to splatter blood, it works fantastically. Just water down the paint mix a bit and it flies everywhere. :devil

looks great man, and zombies are a very good way to jump into customizing and practice on. but remember if you dont like the way paint looks you can in some instances just paint over it...or remove it and go at it again. trial and error.

I really like those wounds, I think they look great!

I use stained glass paint for blood on my zombies, it's given me the most realistic effects. It comes in a spray can & it has a thick volume to it that simulates real blood well. Also,for "fresh" wounds, I use a thick gloss coat on those..usually some high-closs fingernail clearcoat or some of the Testor's gloss coat.

Good advice on the blood... The thing about blood stains on clothing, they never have a single color or are that bright. It took me a while to find a way to replicate how it really looks, so I experimented and researched a lot of photo reference.

Mix up 3 different shades of red. A really deep dark red, a medium hue and plain red. Splatter it in several layers. But keep it darker looking. When Blood dries it looks brown in reality, so when you do blood on a figure, keep that in mind and your work will look awesome in the end.

And use a toothbrush to splatter blood, it works fantastically. Just water down the paint mix a bit and it flies everywhere

I really like those wounds, I think they look great!

I use stained glass paint for blood on my zombies, it's given me the most realistic effects. It comes in a spray can & it has a thick volume to it that simulates real blood well. Also,for "fresh" wounds, I use a thick gloss coat on those..usually some high-closs fingernail clearcoat or some of the Testor's gloss coat.

Thanks for the tips on blood. i'll look into getting some as id like to see if i can make the blood look as fresh or as aged as possible
I been looking at 1/6 nude bodies to see if i think i could try my own zombie custom. im thinking of trying it and it seems fun idea to me i just wanna keep the costs to a min why in the pratice stages

hey bud good work on the doc, they come far too clean to be zombies for ya 1st custom ya did good,
keep practicin and u'll find more ways of mashin them up

Back