Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Appreciate the info Ray, look forward to seeing the pictures posted in your thread. If you don't have Van Cleef pictures posted, I would love to see those too. I had Jake enhance mine a few years ago.

Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Despite having an undersized head, I think it’s a great figure, and the perception changes a lot in hand. With the right pose, the neck issue can be hidden easily.

950e17d0624589af3ddbaac765209585.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I love the fact that you posed him with his black to shirt underneath and his military shirt unbuttoned. With all the hassle of buttoning and unbuttoning it, you can easily switch outfits. It gave me the idea of putting a green t shirt with a US Army patch underneath to look like he looked while in concert at Madison Square Garden. Now, if I can only find a 1/6 scale, light brown Les Paul...I haven’t seen any..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

If anyone wants to modify his clothing, below is the US Army patch worn by Lennon on a green army t shirt when he played in NYC in ‘72...

d28b6f5f0f2cefbf2954365498097680.jpeg

e983866b064c5ff88263846218bc11ee.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Despite having an undersized head, I think it’s a great figure, and the perception changes a lot in hand. With the right pose, the neck issue can be hidden easily.

950e17d0624589af3ddbaac765209585.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Now that’s a great pose..love the guitar hanging from the back :hi5:

With that mod, the neck will look short with the blue velvet suit.

However as one display option this of course looks way better. What I want to know is what body is a good option to use the additional clothes and HS on.

Just shave the top off the neck plug and put it back in. That's what I've been trying to do - but I can get the plug out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics. Many thanks for your reviews as well! Just curious, are you going to try to get a shaved neck plug in, go with blue sticky tac, or leave as is? And how about the second head?

Great pics. Many thanks for your reviews as well! Just curious, are you going to try to get a shaved neck plug in, go with blue sticky tac, or leave as is? And how about the second head?

Well im happy with how it displays as it is but if i felt it was not sitting correctly or was unsecure id probably buy some small flat magnet disks and glue one inside the head hole so it would snap onto the metal neck peg. Thanks for watching my videos by the way. And i also did both head sculpts so both sit lower now

So who all was aware Molecule8 has a 3-DAY replacement/return policy? I don't recall reading it anywhere, but I am absolutely floored. I've been dealing with a family loss for the past several weeks, so a collectible is not a priority. But for anyone still awaiting this, know that you have a ridiculously narrow window to return or get any issues straightened out.

Here's my exchange with their "customer service" (if that's what you'd call it):

ME:

Attn: Adam Everest

Hi Adam,

I received my John Lennon figure a couple of weeks ago, but it was missing the green army jacket (photos attached). Please provide a replacement.
ALSO: Are there any plans to rerun the heads at proper scale? I'm sure you've heard from various purchasers that the head is way too small (not to mention the lack of detail in the hair). For the most part this is a good 1st release, but the underscaled head sculpts and guitar are the major complaints on the collecting forums and among reviewers. Although I know it might not be popular with some collectors, I would be willing to pay extra for correctly scaled, solid quality replacement head sculpts.

My paypal transaction information is below, along with my shipping address. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
######

M8CS:

Dear #####,

The figure was delivered on 7/16/18 and it has been over 2 weeks of receiving your package. We do not honor replacements for orders that has been long passed the grace period of 3 days as our product is limited and made to order.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Adam

ME:
Seriously? That is a ridiculous and unprofessional policy. No other collectibles company I know of has a “3-day” policy. I don’t even understand the logic of it. What do you think, that somehow I’m going to try to get a spare jacket? For what reason I have no idea. This was an error on your “QC” department, provided there is one. Heck, I could even see if you had a policy that stated “it has been more than 30 days so we have to charge you $xyz for a replacement” but a 3-day “sorry we screwed up but that’s your problem” is insane and inane.
Just a word of advice to relay to the owners: this type of treatment is not going to earn you any good will or loyalty from customers, especially following the release of a first product with a number of issues and countless delays. You delay a product for 6-10 months and then expect a customer to respond to you within 3 days? The irony is laughable. I do not know if spending $3-$4 to ship a missing piece is really worth it, but it doesn’t reflect well on your approach to customer service. I spend roughly $10,000/year on collectibles, and I belong to several collecting forums and Facebook groups. This is not to say that I will not buy another Molecule8 piece, although I have no current plans to buy Wonka, but I will certainly not go out of my way or give you the benefit of the doubt in the future. I can live without the bloody jacket or find one parted out in the future if I really need one. But I would have thought as a company who should value and respect every customer, Molecule8 would have said something along the lines of “we apologize for our oversight, we will send you the missing jacket within the next few days.” This is called “making good” which is what most companies do. Good grief.

I can understand them wanting to hear from the customer within three days if there is a defect or something broken in shipping. But they forget to put the item in the box, then put the responsibility on you to meet a short time frame, rediculous! What if this was to be a gift for someone and was not opened within their window? What if you were out of town when it was delivered? You should return it for a refund, hopefully purchased on a credit card. Buy it from a reputable person who can verify that all items are present. Might even end up with a better price.

So who all was aware Molecule8 has a 3-DAY replacement/return policy? I don't recall reading it anywhere, but I am absolutely floored. I've been dealing with a family loss for the past several weeks, so a collectible is not a priority. But for anyone still awaiting this, know that you have a ridiculously narrow window to return or get any issues straightened out.

Here's my exchange with their "customer service" (if that's what you'd call it):

ME:

Attn: Adam Everest

Hi Adam,

I received my John Lennon figure a couple of weeks ago, but it was missing the green army jacket (photos attached). Please provide a replacement.
ALSO: Are there any plans to rerun the heads at proper scale? I'm sure you've heard from various purchasers that the head is way too small (not to mention the lack of detail in the hair). For the most part this is a good 1st release, but the underscaled head sculpts and guitar are the major complaints on the collecting forums and among reviewers. Although I know it might not be popular with some collectors, I would be willing to pay extra for correctly scaled, solid quality replacement head sculpts.

My paypal transaction information is below, along with my shipping address. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
######

M8CS:

Dear #####,

The figure was delivered on 7/16/18 and it has been over 2 weeks of receiving your package. We do not honor replacements for orders that has been long passed the grace period of 3 days as our product is limited and made to order.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Adam

ME:
Seriously? That is a ridiculous and unprofessional policy. No other collectibles company I know of has a “3-day” policy. I don’t even understand the logic of it. What do you think, that somehow I’m going to try to get a spare jacket? For what reason I have no idea. This was an error on your “QC” department, provided there is one. Heck, I could even see if you had a policy that stated “it has been more than 30 days so we have to charge you $xyz for a replacement” but a 3-day “sorry we screwed up but that’s your problem” is insane and inane.
Just a word of advice to relay to the owners: this type of treatment is not going to earn you any good will or loyalty from customers, especially following the release of a first product with a number of issues and countless delays. You delay a product for 6-10 months and then expect a customer to respond to you within 3 days? The irony is laughable. I do not know if spending $3-$4 to ship a missing piece is really worth it, but it doesn’t reflect well on your approach to customer service. I spend roughly $10,000/year on collectibles, and I belong to several collecting forums and Facebook groups. This is not to say that I will not buy another Molecule8 piece, although I have no current plans to buy Wonka, but I will certainly not go out of my way or give you the benefit of the doubt in the future. I can live without the bloody jacket or find one parted out in the future if I really need one. But I would have thought as a company who should value and respect every customer, Molecule8 would have said something along the lines of “we apologize for our oversight, we will send you the missing jacket within the next few days.” This is called “making good” which is what most companies do. Good grief.

I actually got a new blue jacket within 2 weeks as my pattern was missing on part of the shoulder, though I did respond the next day after receiving it.

Most companies have at least a 30-day policy. I often don't have time to open packages for days or even weeks, and sometimes years (in which case I know I'm SOL). What I really can't understand is this cavalier approach to customer service, especially for a first release when you need to earn all the good will you can. Customer experience is everything, and they have fallen down right out of the block. Heck, even after 12-13 years, I still get very good to great customer service from Sideshow. How hard is it to say, "dang, somebody forgot to put a jacket in this guy's box. Let's ship him one." Now instead of having a customer who will champion their product and give them the benefit of the doubt for the next release, they have a customer who doesn't give a flip what happens to them, and will spend his collecting dollars elsewhere.

I can understand them wanting to hear from the customer within three days if there is a defect or something broken in shipping. But they forget to put the item in the box, then put the responsibility on you to meet a short time frame, rediculous! What if this was to be a gift for someone and was not opened within their window? What if you were out of town when it was delivered? You should return it for a refund, hopefully purchased on a credit card. Buy it from a reputable person who can verify that all items are present. Might even end up with a better price.

I considered it, but figured I'd have to pay for return shipping provided they even took the return. Not to mention the time hassle. So chances are this would backfire and I would just come out further behind. The thing is, the knucklehead could have even said they would sell me the jacket for $X. It still would have ticked me off, but as long as it wasn't some wonky amount I might have bought it just to close the chapter.

Also, where exactly do they even state they have a 3-day policy? Here's the email I received prior to shipping (note it didn't arrive until July 16).
Dear Valued Customer,

Shipping update
This is to update you that your order will be shipping June 16th.

Returns
In case you have any issues with your figure please follow these 4 steps:

1. Email: [email protected]
2. Subject Heading: John Lennon + "your unique customer order number”

(The subject heading must contain John Lennon and your Order Number)

3. Attention of ‘Adam Everest”

4. Your message

Thank you for your support,

Adam Everest
The Molecule8 Team

Last edited:

I agree that a 3 day return policy doesn’t make much sense, but if I were a customer service person reading that email I would do as a little as possible to help you.

That isn’t good CS either, but that’s the world we live in unfortunately.

I agree that a 3 day return policy doesn’t make much sense, but if I were a customer service person reading that email I would do as a little as possible to help you.

Agreed, on both counts.

Don't be a jerk to CSRs.

Anyways, if I were you, I'd just ship it back to them and ask for a full refund, if they don't comply, file a chargeback with your CC. Your product is incomplete, that's their problem that they need to rectify. Be polite and firm, don't call them names and don't brag about how much money you spend on toys.

Poor or lazy customer service is why companies lose return business. I've worked in marketing, advertising, and business consulting for more than 25 years with a number of clients and companies. In business, customer experience is everything and customer service is considered the face of your company. Their #1 job is to help resolve issues and turn a negative into a positive. This could have been easily remedied, but they whip out a policy that was never mentioned anywhere. Nor do they offer any type of solution. Why lose a customer and potential future sales over something that can be quickly and easily remedied? I did not swear or call anyone names and the first communique was very polite. But yes, I responded by pointing out the weaknesses, ironies, and absurdities of the policy. I did not say I would never buy from them again, or tell them I hope their company fails. Nobody is bragging about how much they spend. The point was that all companies have a customer acquisition cost, customer retention costs, and customer value. Plus they are competing with other companies for market share. Once you get a customer, you want to keep him or her. That's business 101. I have been buying from Sideshow for 12-13 years and have never had a single problem with their customer service department, even when the resolution doesn't go my way. Two days ago I asked if I could return a spare Jedi Anakin and apply it to my Sith Anakin preorder. I couldn't, which was fine. But I'll bet if I had said it was missing a part they would have shipped a replacement or found a resolution. Sideshow sent out replacement capes for Huntress due to staining issues. I bought the FigureMasters Professor X from One Sixth Kit, and they sent out unsolicited replacement ties. Asmus provided sturdier bodies for their Morgul Lord figures. The list goes on. So yes, I find Molecule8's customer service lacking.

Anyway, my main reason for posting the exchange had been to alert anyone awaiting the figure to the 3-Day policy.

Last edited:

You can also file with your CC for a partial refund for the item being incomplete. Also, I have had to e plain many times to clueless customer service people that it will cost them more to cover the chargeback fee than it would to solve my issue. They always come to their senses when it will cost them more. When we discuss common sense customer service issues, it isn't what it used to be. The customer is always right, the customer comes first, etc. those days are long gone for most. They hope you give up and go away. Most people don't follow through, and they know it. This isn't just about collectibles, this is everything. Dealing in good faith is an antiquated notion to these people.

Back