Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 (New company)

Come on, nobody is losing money on this ****. They're SPENDING money now with no income, that's just how any business starts. But the final cost for each figure will have a profit built into it. Especially a $200 skeleton.

You're missing the point...of course a new business spends money without income, but going back to the analogy about the video game industry...console makers lose money on every single console that they sell which is built into their business model and still yields future revenue for the company in other ways. This has nothing to do with being a new or old business, just the way it works for them...unless you work for M8's accounting dept. not sure you can be so sure of where they have their profits (if any) built in right?

c0cb87ea72c322097e7281362e681334.jpg

I thought we already established the skeleton price point and the fact they are more than likely using preorder money for production .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c0cb87ea72c322097e7281362e681334.jpg

I thought we already established the skeleton price point and the fact they are more than likely using preorder money for production .

That worked out really well for Shrunken Head Studios with their Creepshow License :lol

Well we all still understand that all this is speculation from a company that has yet to produce and real solid showcase images of the figure promised to be released a few weeks ago.

I doubt this is a scam ...... but we have to see the quality of the work. With KA KIm's sculpt I doubt they will screw the paint job to badly, so it's really about the tailoring and overall package...lots can be wrong with that.

We are all still waiting for this.....so long as it does not turn into a long protracted mess for 10 months....molecule 8 will keep my interest.

I'm with you there...the fact that they already have Lennon up for pre-order and will have Wonka up soon suggests that M8 could be the competition that we have wanted for Hot Toys for awhile...the timing of releases held Blitzway back but M8 seems to be moving at a rapid clip!

Yeah boys ! Darth Snoopy hands out 2 week vacations! Everyone should be excited and positive M8 is everything custom collectors wanted !

Now that this company appears to be on the "up and up", shouldn't we start separate threads for each of their offerings: a Lennon thread, a Wonka thread and so on?

I went ahead and started a Wonka thread.

Last edited:

You're missing the point...of course a new business spends money without income, but going back to the analogy about the video game industry...console makers lose money on every single console that they sell which is built into their business model and still yields future revenue for the company in other ways. This has nothing to do with being a new or old business, just the way it works for them...unless you work for M8's accounting dept. not sure you can be so sure of where they have their profits (if any) built in right?

I know how consoles work, but I don't know what you're getting at at all. Do you think they're 'losing money' at $250-300 preorders?

And also Nintendo doesn't lose money on consoles they release, even when they launch. Everyone else does.

I'm guessing the idea is that this first figure of Lennon may be priced especially low in order to get people to buy and build some brand loyalty. If I recall correctly Sideshow did a similar thing with the Jedi Luke; at only $50 he was jam packed with extras compared to most 1/6 figures at that time.

Could also be they have great resources and are able to put out small batch quality figures on a larger scale... I'd still be pretty surprised if they are able to put out better figures than Hot Toys; but you never know.

I changed the title to focus on John Lennon, since that is the figure that necessitated the thread and is discussed on the first post, even though there are some more general discussions here. Someone else may start up an Endoskeleton thread if they think it is warranted.

Come on, nobody is losing money on this ****. They're SPENDING money now with no income, that's just how any business starts. But the final cost for each figure will have a profit built into it. Especially a $200 skeleton.

One big difference is that most companies take out loans from a bank or investors, not customers. That's something that distinguishes the collector industry from others apparently. But with Molecule8, they are now going through traditional channels with SSC, Timewalker, etc. So, I don't know if they got enough funding from their own solicitation out the gate, or have sought other sources of startup funding, or what now. But no one needs to order directly from them to pre-order at this point, nor do potential customers even need to put money down upfront.

I'm guessing the idea is that this first figure of Lennon may be priced especially low in order to get people to buy and build some brand loyalty. If I recall correctly Sideshow did a similar thing with the Jedi Luke; at only $50 he was jam packed with extras compared to most 1/6 figures at that time.

Could also be they have great resources and are able to put out small batch quality figures on a larger scale... I'd still be pretty surprised if they are able to put out better figures than Hot Toys; but you never know.

The John Lennon figure is up for pre-order at $300. It seems the 1/6 market is trying to kill itself by pricing their figures out of the range of most collectors. Rather than expanding the fan base they are narrowing it, which will likely eventually lead to it's demise.

Sean

The John Lennon figure is up for pre-order at $300. It seems the 1/6 market is trying to kill itself by pricing their figures out of the range of most collectors. Rather than expanding the fan base they are narrowing it, which will likely eventually lead to it's demise.

Sean
I would say that Hot Toys is going in the opposite direction, and these new players are popping up to fill the gaps left behind as HT stops producing anything not Disney- or Warner Brothers-related. And if so, that's a good example of market forces working as they are supposed to.

Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

And if this guys really does come with all that's promised and at the quality; $300 is quite good. I'd imagine a similar custom would easily be over $1,000... it just remains to be seen if they can deliver on all that is being promised here.

Yeah, price isn't plucked from thin air here. Folks have shown a willingness to pay these prices when the quality level is right (and in SSC's case, sometimes when the quality level isn't right--they released a bare bones, flawed Luke Skywalker at $270 and it sold out on their website!). So, Molecule8 is just following suit, covering costs and trying to maximize profits. If anything, I can see them charging even more moving forward if they deliver as promised.

Yeah, price isn't plucked from thin air here. Folks have shown a willingness to pay these prices when the quality level is right (and in SSC's case, sometimes when the quality level isn't right--they released a bare bones, flawed Luke Skywalker at $270 and it sold out on their website!). So, Molecule8 is just following suit, covering costs and trying to maximize profits. If anything, I can see them charging even more moving forward if they deliver as promised.

Yeah, that's my guess... although the 2nd release (Wonka) coming in at $250 is surprising.

:exactly:

Maybe the inflation in 1:6 over the past 6 years has been the result of hot air? M8 may be offering a more realistic price point than we have grown accustomed to seeing?

I think $300 for 2 sculpts and 3 outfits is quite fair. I also know that this will be worth more in the future. Lennon stuff always is. So I'm getting it while the price is low.

Back