Molecule8 John Lennon UPDATE 5/10/18 - SCAM COMPANY!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Molecule8 - 1/6th Scale John Lennon

Well, at least the packaging is nice.

"IF" it ever is released, someone will need to take a video of the figure crossing "Abbey Road" and getting run over by a truck.

"IF" it ever is released, someone will need to take a video of the figure crossing "Abbey Road" and getting run over by a truck.

Wouldn't that revolutionary snazzy endoskeleton puncture a tire?

There is no excuse for a production piece this inferior to the prototype. Out of the chute, Molecule 8 hired one of the top sculptors in the industry (which both gave them credibility and attracted early buyers). They showed off prototype outfits that looked to be extremely well tailored. They boasted about their innovative new body system--and while the concept was interesting, that was never a huge deal to me. This should have been Quality Control 101.

I think Molecule 8 bit off more than they could chew and probably made some costly errors.
Supply Chain Partners -- between manufacturing the heads and hands, accessories (guitar, glasses), outfits, proprietary bodies w/steel endoskeletons; painting and assembly; and packaging, there could be as many as six different vendors, although the more likely scenario some functions are combined. Hiring top talent to put together a fantastic prototype is one thing. Companies like Hot Toys no doubt have the best deals with the top manufacturing companies (and probably most slots on the production schedules). I would not be surprised if once Molecule started getting back actual quotes, prices ended up being quite a bit higher than expected. So it's possible they had to use cheaper, lower quality vendors. This seems to be pretty evident in the loss of detail in the head sculpts, as well as the thicker material and poorer fit of the outfits.
Product Management -- From the looks of things Molecule did not have a person on the ground watching the actual manufacturing and production process. How the heck else do you explain the pinhead portraits? Someone should have been at the factory with the prototype in hand, watching pieces come out and checking for detail, distortion and sizing. If they were approving these heads via photos or Skype calls it was easy for them to get suckered. The same goes for the outfits.
"Frankensteining" -- As we all see, the head is too small for the body, the neck is too long, and the clothes don't fit well. I can just imagine them finally getting in the production heads, bodies and outfits; putting together the first figure; and going "Oh s#!t". By then, they'd probably already signed off on everything so they had to work with it and hope no one complained.
I never understood the necessity of the new body, and it's possible that could be a big part of the problem. First, instead of spending money developing a proprietary new body, they could have bought a few hundred quality bodies that collectors are perfectly happy with. Second, the manufacturing vendors are used to creating heads and outfits to work for industry standard bodies. If they have to make adjustments to accommodate a new system it introduces new variables.

That all said, maybe the figure Molecule was trying to make was in actuality a $450-$500 fig... then reality set in.

I've always figured this was a risk, so it's not a huge deal. I may even be pleasantly surprised once it arrives. But realistically, I'm hoping the outfits and accessories are good. It's possible a body swap will make the clothes look better. Then either a properly sized bootleg will show up, or enough of us will get together to merit a commission.

We'll know more once they are in hand.

Last edited:

They never spent any money on anything you just mentioned.

That's my point. They focused on getting the license and building the prototype, and probably built their pricing model on guestimates. Then once they got the actual quotes, they started looking for cheaper alternatives.

The real issue is going to be if people start receiving theirs and there's a defect with something. I don't see M8 coming through in that regard at all.

I love how lighting only affects the shirt color....leaving every other part looking the correct color in the same photo lol

The real issue is going to be if people start receiving theirs and there's a defect with something. I don't see M8 coming through in that regard at all.

This is something I can see being a major issue!
The green shirt patch has already got a QC issue and that's them showing the final product.
Looks like a smudge.

32727636_598965047140087_4246553771804459008_n.jpg32727636_598965047140087_4246553771804459008_n.jpg

Cant even roll the cuffs on that wool shirt like the proto type

The shirt is so wrong it's laughable.
It's surely the easiest part to get right and a hundred companies must make green military shirts that world have been perfectly acceptable with the correct patches added.
Instead there's this weird looking thing, badly cut, the wrong color and oddly appearing to be made from some kind of pet hair.
If they have gone cheap imagine what that rubber body will new like.
In guessing cooked prawn pink and vaguely translucent, it won't match the head sculpt on color and tone and you'll be able to cut it like butter.

Not related to the figure, but I turned 40 last fall. I've now officially outlived John Lennon.

It feels so wrong.

Anyone else here over 40 and know what I mean? He seemed to have lived 10 lifetimes in 40 years, and I just sit around and buy toys.

I kind of feel the same about Kurt. When I think of 27 that just seems like a kid to me. But in my mind, Kurt always seems older than me cause he seemed so world-weary.

Anyway, forgive my ramblings.

That's midlife crisis. As any other vital crisis, it's needed to deal with it and grow for the next stage. You'll be fine. I'm 44, by the way.

I think it's almost better for the company to say nothing at all until get everything set n ready. They clearly have bad advertising skill's on presenting product. Present product with someone who knows about displaying in this business. It boggles my brain when this is your job and released so poorly. From boasting to be next big thing in 1/6 to seemingly feel like they m8 knows nothing about release's at all. Hopefully they have learned not to shoot them selves right out of gate on next release.

I still think this will be recasted and knocked off faster then dx11 joker.

When the knockoffs come out, you won't be able to tell the difference, unless of course the knockoffs are better!

Back