Modern Day Scarface Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Plissken

40s "men" still cry about being bullied here
Reaction score
Modern-Day 'Scarface' Remake Gets Green Light | Rolling Stone

Llj3dAj.gif

Breaking Bad is already the modern day Scarface.

The original was about the mafia in Chicago and their rise to power was based mainly on the sale of illegal alchohol. The remake with Pacino brilliantly updated it about the coke empires built in Florida and down south. (same concept though behind the rise to power)

There isn't a modern day way of doing that. Drug lords aren't the same, they can't be out in the open like that anymore. Like I said, BB was as much a "modern day" Scarface as you could literally tell the story of.

I understand that the 83 Scarface is a remake in itself, but this is pretty pointless and just another cash grab since they really can't do anything else with license.

Breaking Bad is already the modern day Scarface.

The original was about the mafia in Chicago and their rise to power was based mainly on the sale of illegal alchohol. The remake with Pacino brilliantly updated it about the coke empires built in Florida and down south. (same concept though behind the rise to power)

There isn't a modern day way of doing that. Drug lords aren't the same, they can't be out in the open like that anymore. Like I said, BB was as much a "modern day" Scarface as you could literally tell the story of.

I was very much thinking that BrBa is a modernized version of it. Is there even really a giant Cocaine industry in the states nowadays? And having it set in LA? Eh it doesn't jive at all. A drug kingpin in Florida in the 80s is as far as you can take this franchise honestly.

If they want to have any credibility (which they won't) they won't name the lead Tony Montana.

Last edited:
I think it can happen with gun trafficking or sex trafficking. You'd be surprised at people involved and empires built.

My issue is that the lifestyle is slightly glamorized. I've never seen Scarface, but I plan; my thing is: is Tony ever likeable?

You get these main characters and when they have a downfall, you seem to have a pity for them despite all the ****ed up **** they do. My example is A Clockwork Orange .

It could be decent is my thing, kind of like Bond, take a kingpin and put their vices and all; it could work.

He's likable, and is a fun character. The problem was he wasn't as ruthless as the people he worked for, he does have a heart.

He's likable, and is a fun character. The problem was he wasn't as ruthless as the people he worked for, he does have a heart.

You're talking about Tony Montana right? The guy who murdered his best friend. Refused to allow his sister to have a love life. The guy who murdered his boss. Treated his wife like crap even though she was an addict ( after stealing her from his now dead boss ). The guy killed how many people and built an empire off drugs and murder. I love the film and own it as well as the Premium Format Tony Montana, but I don't see Tony as a guy with much heart other than for himself.

You're talking about Tony Montana right? The guy who murdered his best friend. Refused to allow his sister to have a love life. The guy who murdered his boss. Treated his wife like crap even though she was an addict ( after stealing her from his now dead boss ). The guy killed how many people and built an empire off drugs and murder. I love the film and own it as well as the Premium Format Tony Montana, but I don't see Tony as a guy with much heart other than for himself.

No killing of woman or children, that's a lot more than the guys in Columbia valued. I didn't say he was a saint. There's plenty of other fictional characters out there that are scumbags, that people love.

Yeah, I can't tell how many films I've seen where it makes a person be likeable and then when they die, you hate the opposite. Some are good and some are bad examples: I recently saw Bonnie and Clyde (67) and you kind hate the cops for doing what they do (I actually felt bad more for Clyde). Then you get stuff like Fury and End of Watch and you simply have to hate those cartels/nazis.

So point? I just feel that doing stuff like that isn't a great view. It'll spark another American Sniper, if this were to have military; and based on a "true" story. :rolleyes2 :lol

If they nail the character development like City of Gods, I will gladly watch this film, despite it being a remake.

It was over a year ago when rumor began to circulate that the new Scarface will address present-day concerns about Mexican drug cartels, as once again explored through the same narrative setup recycled from previous iterations: a young man from humble beginnings climbs his way to the top of a drug-fueled criminal empire, through violent means and his own willingness to indulge in psychotic behavior.

The latest from The Wrap confirms that Scarface protagonist Tony (last name in this version TBA) will, in fact, be a Mexican immigrant living in modern-day Los Angeles, who quickly rises in the city’s criminal underworld “as he strives for the American Dream.” Chances are good that the new Scarface will (as reported in the past) incorporate Mexican drug cartels into the mix, following the example of recent Hollywood features like The Last Stand, 2 Guns and Sabotage.

As for the film’s lead, it’s being reported that Universal wants to cast “an authentic Latino who is bilingual and bicultural.” Such well-respected character actors as Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis) and Édgar Ramírez (Wrath of the Titans) could be sought to fit that bill, though it’s said that the Scarface producers – a roster that includes Marc Shmuger (The Spectacular Now) – are also open to casting a newcomer, in order to meet that requirement.

This is one movie I think needs a remake. It's embarrassingly dated. The concept is far better than the movie ... which is the hallmark of a movie that could use an update.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
"The new film will depict the rise and fall of a young, midwestern man, Tony, from Montana, who journeys west to start his own Marijuana dispensary. On his quest for success, Scarface (a nickname he was given after falling off his bike and scraping his forehead when he was 8 years old) must go head to head against the federal government and angry moms, althewhile trying to compete against angry, pot growing rednecks in Bakersfield."

Scarface protagonist Tony (last name in this version TBA) will, in fact, be a Mexican immigrant living in modern-day Los Angeles, who quickly rises in the city’s criminal underworld “as he strives for the American Dream.” Chances are good that the new Scarface will incorporate Mexican drug cartels into the mix, following the example of recent Hollywood features like The Last Stand, 2 Guns and Sabotage.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Scarface was cool, but Carlito's Way is a much better film, imo. I don't mind another remake...it's a remake of a remake, so who knows? It might be good, if it's a completely different film and they stay away from Miami.

Back