1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

When I was a kid I watched this behind the scenes making of Superman video and they used a superman model for one of the action scenes.

I remember daydreaming about owning that superman model for years and now it's here. Seriously, this figure is how my seven year old eyes perceived that model so seeing these pics is very surreal.

Oh yeah, this is a must buy:yess:

you're talking about the scene in superman 2 where he gets hit by the bus, correct? i love that behind the scenes segment. those miniatures were amazing.

Beautiful and awesome!! Lacks in likeness though,,, sorry I'll go hide under my rock but I really feel that way

overall, the suit looks great. they got the colors right. i'm still not 100% sold on the sculpt. i'm hoping they do some final tweaking, but i would gladly buy it as is.

Absolutely agreed. I'm going to do my part to honor the memory of Reeve by saying this likeness is NOT adequate. No one who's seen the movie enough times to be able to recite full scenes by heart like I have could think so. The only people who could think the likeness needs no improvement are people who have maybe seen the movie once or twice and not for many years. Most of the likeness is just fine, but the eyes are WRONG and they are an extremely important part as far as I'm concerned.

This is Wasian Supes. The eyes look more like Keanu Reeves than Christopher Reeve. Giving likenesses of other races an asian look to the eyes is a common problem with likenesses from some of these otherwise great asian sculptors. It's their Achilles heel. I've seen worse instances than this one, but it is the same issue here. I don't mean to slam Hot Toys who has absolutely raised the bar to the point where we can actually expect perfect likenesses for the first time. And they have delivered them in the past. But this is NOT one of those times. Unfortunately it doesn't seem any better in the medium shots than it does in close-up, and the extra lighting in these pictures has only highlighted its inadequacy more.

It's all the more frustrating because everything else about the figure is great. And we know we may never get another figure of this quality made of Reeve's Superman again, especially with a new movie and a new Superman coming up, who has a chance to become the new icon and cement Reeve firmly into the nostalgic past. So because of that I REALLY HOPE they revisit this likeness. Reeve deserves better and this is the one shot to get it 100% right.

Now to respond to some off-topic points in the old thread. Concerning the John Williams music in the new movie, I have two words for everyone. James Bond. Through reboot after reboot, the James Bond music has remained constant throughout the movies. Even into the latest, "new generation" Daniel Craig Bond. There is absolutely no reason using that music would be a negative of any kind. I believe that Superman theme rises to the same iconic level as the red and blue suit, the cape, Krypton, etc., especially when it's used to underscore the most iconic element of the movies, that being Superman's transformation scenes. And therefore the music is irreplaceable. If a transformation scene like that happens without the main theme playing, there will be many hearts sinking in the theater.

Unfortunately, Zack Snyder has said they are doing this movie AS IF NO PREVIOUS SUPERMAN MOVIES EXISTED. So if they truly stick to that mantra, they can't use themes that "don't exist." And while Nolan didn't use Elfman's Batman theme, he did redo the "I'm Batman" scene, so references to previous films don't seem to be absolutely out of the question for him.

As for the Doomsday animated movie, I agree with those who said it was one of the best interpretations of Superman ever done outside of the movies. I tried to read the comics around the death and rebirth of Superman and they were absolutely dreadful. I had enjoyed John Byrne's reboot and was shocked to see how far things had fallen with the writing in just those few short years. The Superman Animated series of the '90s was good too, but the Doomsday movie was a cut above it. It is the best straight Superman story I've seen produced in any medium other than the first two Reeve films.

Tommy FB

249454_10150197488372113_638462112_6872782_3683175_n.jpg

almost look real!

How do we get word to Hot Toys about showing us the back of the cape to confirm if there is a yellow S on it? Or does Tommy have access to this figure and the ability to show us the back?

140 replies in an hour and a half. Is that a record?

Where are all the naysayers? Not one of them wants to admit they were wrong? Jumping the gun and photo shopping bad photos. Don't want to eat crow. :lol

Absolutely agreed. I'm going to do my part to honor the memory of Reeve by saying this likeness is NOT adequate. No one who's seen the movie enough times to be able to recite full scenes by heart like I have could think so. The only people who could think the likeness needs no improvement are people who have maybe seen the movie once or twice and not for many years. Most of the likeness is just fine, but the eyes are WRONG and they are an extremely important part as far as I'm concerned.

This is Wasian Supes. The eyes look more like Keanu Reeves than Christopher Reeve. Giving likenesses of other races an asian look to the eyes is a common problem with likenesses from some of these otherwise great asian sculptors. It's their Achilles heel. I've seen worse instances than this one, but it is the same issue here. I don't mean to slam Hot Toys who has absolutely raised the bar to the point where we can actually expect perfect likenesses for the first time. And they have delivered them in the past. But this is NOT one of those times. Unfortunately it doesn't seem any better in the medium shots than it does in close-up, and the extra lighting in these pictures has only highlighted its inadequacy more.

It's all the more frustrating because everything else about the figure is great. And we know we may never get another figure of this quality made of Reeve's Superman again, especially with a new movie and a new Superman coming up, who has a chance to become the new icon and cement Reeve firmly into the nostalgic past. So because of that I REALLY HOPE they revisit this likeness. Reeve deserves better and this is the one shot to get it 100% right.

Unfortunately, Zack Snyder has said they are doing this movie AS IF NO PREVIOUS SUPERMAN MOVIES EXISTED. So if they truly stick to that mantra, they can't use themes that "don't exist." And while Nolan didn't use Elfman's Batman theme, he did redo the "I'm Batman" scene, so references to previous films don't seem to be absolutely out of the question for him.

Such a very critical critique of such an extraordinary piece. Guess you're not buying one of these then:wink1:

Last edited:

wow just looked at all these pics on my desktop, (was using my phone before) and WOW! looks even better and more like Reeve to me!!!

This is the most beautiful figure I've ever seen. I love you Hot Toys.

Sent using two cans and some string.

:goodpost:

It's moments like this that I really love this hobby. And this place. :grouphug

Well, I'm not alone in my anticipation for this.

The wait WILL be worth it.

:panic::panic::panic:
YES!! He looks perfect! I can't wait to try out all the different flying/coming in for a landing, poses. Wow, I can't believe the dream has come true. I hope everyone who wants one, will be able to get one. It worries me that Sideshow's site was already down tonight, and it hasn't even gone up for pre-order. This will be amazingly popular!

you're talking about the scene in superman 2 where he gets hit by the bus, correct? i love that behind the scenes segment. those miniatures were amazing.

yes, that's it! I'd love to see that segment again and compare it to this hot toys supes.

I believe they shot the film in the UK because i remember when my parents vacationed out there I begged them to look for that miniature at the stores out there (I naively thought maybe you could buy it in the UK since they shot the film there :slap). This figure is such a dream come true on so many levels.

Im still waiting for all the photoshoppers to come dragging their sorry a--es over here and ruining everything.

Back