1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Ok, now we're talking. :rock

That is the 1st alteration that is 100% perfect, just look at that will ya :clap :bow

Just by widening the top of his nose which made his eyes farther apart totally captures the Man of Carbon Fiber!

Man, did that do the trick, now i'll never look at the original the same way again :gah:

The base of the nose is entirely different as well. I'm not even certain he touched the top.

I didn't scroll back to see if this had been posted yet, but ...

This is from CapedWonder, and is Sebastian Columbo's slight alteration of Kim's sculpt ...

246758_203084089733803_162643873777825_517712_2018656_n.jpg

I think Kim's sculpt is great. I pre-ordered the first day. But, I have to admit that Columbo's alteration takes Kim's sculpt from great to amazing.

SnakeDoc

Holy SMOKES! THAT'S HIM! THAT'S CHRISTOPHER REEVE RIGHT THERE!

I wish I hadn't see this. I was satisfied with the headsculpt before this picture came along.

It surprises me that HT can't pull off something like that.

I didn't scroll back to see if this had been posted yet, but ...

This is from CapedWonder, and is Sebastian Columbo's slight alteration of Kim's sculpt ...

246758_203084089733803_162643873777825_517712_2018656_n.jpg

I think Kim's sculpt is great. I pre-ordered the first day. But, I have to admit that Columbo's alteration takes Kim's sculpt from great to amazing.

SnakeDoc

Somebody forward that alteration to Hot Toys brass. The minor changes make the sculpt even better. Hot Toys proto is great, but the slight changes would make it perfect.

Holy SMOKES! THAT'S HIM! THAT'S CHRISTOPHER REEVE RIGHT THERE!

I wish I hadn't see this. I was satisfied with the headsculpt before this picture came along.

It surprises me that HT can't pull off something like that.

The pic on the left is an actual sculpt and the other something done on a computer. Sure he improved the likeness but he didn't create much. For all we know there are bits of an actual Reeve photo in there too. Point being what of that photoshop makes it any bit realistic to sculpt?

Even if it was a real pic of his face, it's still just shapes to form so it would be entirely possible to sculpt whatever is seen in either photo.

The pic on the left is an actual sculpt and the other something done on a computer. Sure he improved the likeness but he didn't create much. For all we know there are bits of an actual Reeve photo in there too. Point being what of that photoshop makes it any bit realistic to sculpt?

Exactly. I think people really fail to understand this. No matter how accurate the sculpt is, you can always "improve" its accuracy through programs like photoshop because you're just altering it through a computer. It doesn't prove anything. If you can actually alter the sculpt physically to make it look better than that's a true improvement. You can't just touch up something physical and pretend like those changes are easy to just apply. It doesn't make sense. I'm not going to take someone's drawing that was colored using colored pencils and then use a paintbrush to show that person how much more vivid the colors could look.

Agreed. :goodpost:

That makes no sense. You sculpt by looking at reference material, so make refinements to the sculpt using more reference material. That's like saying you can't ever capture a likeness because you're looking at an actual photo. The only difference is you'd just be reworking your sculpt.

Usually these photoshops are fairly meh but the one above is actually the first time I've actually said it improves the figure a great deal.

Even if it was a real pic of his face, it's still just shapes to form so it would be entirely possible to sculpt whatever is seen in either photo.

Exactly! And look at the cape. There is no doubt that he has used a picture as base for the alterations but that doesn't take away what he was able to accomplish here. He was able to make look a like toy! We look at that and we can see that look is achievable. If Hot Toys is truly incapable of producing something like that NOW then I started collecting their figures too early. Should have waited 5/10 years till the process is improved. :monkey1

Last edited:

Wow! Now that is reeve, sneak peek of the dx perhaps??!! Lol
Im still happy with the sculpt but if it can be tweaked the great

That makes no sense. You sculpt by looking at reference material, so make refinements to the sculpt using more reference material. That's like saying you can't ever capture a likeness because you're looking at an actual photo. The only difference is you'd just be reworking your sculpt.

And what better reference than the original sculpt tweaked? At least you're starting close to the target.

That is a huge improvement,the shape of the head and the eyes.

Fair enough that latest photoshop is clearly an improvement. Unfortunately though I think all its going to achieve is to make people feel a bit less positive about the sculpt which we will still get.

That is a huge improvement,the shape of the head and the eyes.

I think some of it is the way the neck flows right into the jawline. Chris Reeve had a really thick neck ... and I'm not sure that can logistically be translated to a toy.

I'm satisfied with the sculpt as is. The manipulation shows that it isn't perfect -- but there is a big difference in creating a 3D sculpt and creating a 2D image by merging with a photo. The sculpt has to work within the medium of the toy, and has to work from all angles.

There is slight room for improvement around the eyes, on the shape of the jaw, and on the thickness of the neck ... but, its most noticable in extremely close-up photos, and may be limited by connecting a plastic head to a plastic neck with a toy neck joint.

SnakeDoc

while i was satisfied with hot toys' sculpt (not 100% happy), sebastian columbo's revisions blow it away. i really hope hot toys sees this and they make the necessary revisions. after seeing the comparison, i think everyone can agree that there is room for improvement. i've waited 25 years for an accurate chris reeve superman figure. i can wait a little longer.

This was probably mentioned before but what was the ToyHunters' Exclusive?

Point being, its a photoshop of improvements. I mean its obvious a sculptor uses pics for reference but thats not the argument here. All i'm saying is, its easy to take Kim's work (an actual physical piece of work) and make improvements using computer software. Its not realistic. But hey, if the sculptor can benefit from seeing this and make some tweaks then hey, cool deal. I'm sure this is your argument.

Dear HT,

While I have nothing but total admiration for the CR sculpt you have chosen to reveal to the world and fully respect the difficulties involved with creating a 3D sculpt from a 2D image, is there any chance you could reconsider your final sculpt and give it another shot by trying to make it look just like this recently released modification :lol

Hey, if humans were content with just being complacent, we would be a boring bunch, now wouldn't we.

Last edited:
Back