1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Anyway - I don't know why I'd need to remind people to NOT fight in this thread. Regarding the donation - every licensed figure has a "donation" attached - usually the donation is for the celebrity's pocketbook - this one is just directed a little differently.

So I guess Hot Toys will do a separate Clark Kent figure? I think some of us were expecting the "2-in-1" deal like they did with the last Superman Returns figure with both Superman and Clark Kent.

Let me tell you something. This was going to be a DX. The reason they gave it to why they canceled the DX version (PERS not working with this figure) is pure BS. I'm 100% sure they will make a DX Superman. No doubt about it! YOU HEARD HERE FIRST!

How much of this figures popularity is due to Reeve having a paralyzing accident?

Seems to me there are alot of folks here that care about CR beyond the Superman role... if we took out the fact he was a good guy... would this figure/movie be this popular?

IMO yes, but for some reason I don't feel the CR love... Sure he tried to cure the disease but anyone who gets sick tries to cure their own disease, does that make them a hero?

How much of this figures popularity is due to Reeve having a paralyzing accident?

Seems to me there are alot of folks here that care about CR beyond the Superman role... if we took out the fact he was a good guy... would this figure/movie be this popular?

IMO yes, but for some reason I don't feel the CR love... Sure he tried to cure the disease but anyone who gets sick tries to cure their own disease, does that make them a hero?

:horror:horror
:slap:slap

All you have to do is take the receipt to your accountant or H&R Block or whoever does your taxes and explain that proceeds from the purchase of this figure went to charity. :wink1:

Just an FYI for everyone out there: You cannot use the purchase price of this figure on your taxes as a charitable contribution. Any ethical CPA will inform you of this. I know most everyone is throwing this around jokingly, but just in case anyone is actually serious or curious about it.

If you purchase tickets to a charity dinner, you have to deduct the fair market value of the tickets to get back to your deductible amount. In the case of this figure, you would have to do the same. Unless you want to run the risk of getting into an argument with the IRS over what the "FMV" of this figure is, I wouldn't deduct this on your tax return. If it is your opinion that the FMV is $180 and you paid $210, you could theoretically deduct $30 (and even that is very, very questionable). $30 of charitable contributions on your tax return is going to amount to virtually nothing on most tax returns. So in other words, not even remotely close to being worth the risk of mis-reporting.

Now the likelihood that this would be something that the IRS would give a crap about and would actually audit or inquire about is a totally different conversation. :peace

Very little. I think its popularity is almost exclusively due to his playing Superman in movies people enjoyed many years ago. Sure, people feel like they got to know him beyond those roles I guess and care about him (and his plight) as a human being. But that's not why folks want a Superman figure I don't reckon.

As for being a hero, sure, he was pursuing a cure to what ailed him, but forgetting that, he still focused his time and energy on something worthwhile--something he didn't have to do, and something that he must have realized wasn't going to bear fruit in his lifetime. The vast majority of people that do good work are doing it, in part, out of self-interest (researching cancer partly for money, becoming the chief of police partly for prestige, etc.). That doesn't take away from the fact that they are doing good work when good work is done. I don't think you have to be 100% altruistic to be a hero.

Seems like it takes people with a particular perspective to start foundations that lead to cures. Those people are usually either afflicted by something or connected to someone who is. I don't think you can understand what people go through until you are in that camp. And, so while it may be that CR never would have looked much into his condition had he not had the accident, the awakening it gave him isn't the sum of the man. It's what he did after having that experience that generates the respect and admiration of people. Many would simply deal with their sickness or try to help themselves. He decided to go to the next level and try to defeat it outright, for everyone. You can discredit that if you'd like. But, you will be in the slim minority with the opinion.

Very little. I think its popularity is almost exclusively due to his playing Superman in movies people enjoyed many years ago. Sure, people feel like they got to know him beyond those roles I guess and care about him (and his plight) as a human being. But that's not why folks want a Superman figure I don't reckon.

As for being a hero, sure, he was pursuing a cure to what ailed him, but forgetting that, he still focused his time and energy on something worthwhile--something he didn't have to do, and something that he must have realized wasn't going to bear fruit in his lifetime. The vast majority of people that do good work are doing it, in part, out of self-interest (researching cancer partly for money, becoming the chief of police partly for prestige, etc.). That doesn't take away from the fact that they are doing good work when good work is done. I don't think you have to be 100% altruistic to be a hero.

thanks for taking me seriously...

I can live with your explanation... thanks

I see what your saying in a way. I actually have a lot of love and respect for tha man outside the role of Superman. Did it influence my purchase? Yeah just a tiny bit. I would have gotten it anyway though. As too if it makes him a hero... well yeah. He did have a lot of self interest in his endeavors but I dont think that really takes much away from the fact that he has inspired others and contributed heavily to someday helping the helpless walk again. If thats even possible. When I watched that hr or 2 hr special a few yr back on him I became a big admirer. I applaud his strength :clap

A word of warning about waiting for a DX, and not getting this.
MiniVader posted this about the Hot Toys Wolverine on the 08-28-09

I'll wait for the DX version on this.

And The Berserker Predator said this about the T2 T-800 figure on 01-04-2010

Sticking to my guns here BD all the way! So tempting though :banghead :borg

I wonder if they are still waiting?
:impatient::impatient::impatient:

A word of warning about waiting for a DX, and not getting this.
MiniVader posted this about the Hot Toys Wolverine on the 08-28-09

And The Berserker Predator said this about the T2 T-800 figure on 01-04-2010

I wonder if they are still waiting?
:impatient::impatient::impatient:

:lol :lol :lol A good point, not all things get the 2nd release. I think the possiblity of a Kent/Superman 2 pack makes this one very likely, but could also be the foundation will only allow one single figure to be made.

Is it just me but his right eye is crooked? Yep only the right eye.

I'm always happy to donate to charities so its all good :)

It seems too few actually go where they are suppose to actually go nowadays. I'm not talking about the Reeve foundation. Look at the amount the UK has splurged out to over the years... and then you see their Governments driving about in big fancy Mercedes as well as fancy mansions. While their people haven't gotten any better. Sure there's some but not enough to make a difference with the whole intention to begin with. Look at Band Aid/Live Aid, what really changed?

I'll probably buy another for a friend nearer Q4 for their Christmas as well for a purpose of the donation.

Last edited:

just here to say I think this figure is AWESOME
will not buy cause I'm not a big Superman fan
but I think the Reeves likeness is amazing

It's kinda....meh? You don't get much really. I'm not a fan of diaramas / backgrounds / pieces of set - I'm just interested in the figure. The headsculpt is very good but the suit looks really cheap - compared with the DX Jack - the quality of the clothing looks so different - Superman's belt looks like a cheap piece of plastic. - No alternative Clark Kent suit? or headsculpt with combed hair and glasses? - Course not because that will be in the DX version.

Not sure what the hubbub was over donations (not going to read that far back), but I bought a set of Superman dog-tags from the Reeve Foundation a few years ago. I was happy to do it.

Back