1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Yeah. And the similarities are glaring. What my post said was that the changes were minor, if they were there at all. In the original 'new sculpt' shots, the difference was what stood out, as well as in all of the other inhand shots. But OMG's pics look almost identical to the SDCC shots.

All I'm saying is that the 'original' was not so far off. Lighting did have a lot to do with the perception of both sculpts, because the change from one to the next was negligible.

And for the record, I was one of the first people in this thread to be certain that the sculpt was changed. I was also one of the people happy with the prototype pics. In the end, I'm impressed that it needed so little work.

So, get better at it. I said that the differences were evident; just far more subtle than they initially appeared to be. Subtle enough, in fact, that the two sculpts could be mistaken for the same one. I can see the differences in the right lighting, but not in all lighting.

I think people underestimated the original one, is all. It was much closer than it was given credit for.

Although we agree that the first sculpt was quite good, to me the revised sculpt is much better. And I see the differences regardless of lighting.

I'm pretty sure I could do a lightning round of looking at random pics of both sculpts in varying light/shadow and kill it! :rock :lol

I didn't say the original looked like Reeve. Just that the new one looks a lot like the original, especially as it appeared in the SDCC photos. The jawline has been changed, and so have the eyes, but the old one is still clearly visible in the new one. Personally, neither incarnation looks like Reeve, but they do evoke his visage very strongly, which is all they need to do. The pictures that have been posted now accomplish that far better than the earlier ones do, but the difference between them is negligible. The prototype was an excellent foundation.

That's how I felt about the prototype, but the new sculpt truly does look like Reeve to me.

tumblr_lp7kx9dVoB1r0z1wao1_400.gif

There's something about the eyes that's off. Set too deep in the sculpt, perhaps? I don't know. Whatever it is though, it's not important.

I see the comparison shot you added to your previous post. That makes the difference very clear, thank you. And it does look much more like Reeve. It's just that the changes are miniscule. Looking at them side by side, however, the effect is significant. You're right.

My issue is that OMG's pics look very different from the amateur pics that have been posted. They bring out the similarities to the prototype. I apologize if that was frustrating.

This post makes me feel much better. :duff

Ok. But...

Although we agree that the first sculpt was quite good, to me the revised sculpt is much better. And I see the differences regardless of lighting.

I'm pretty sure I could do a lightning round of looking at random pics of both sculpts in varying light/shadow and kill it! :rock :lol

That's how I felt about the prototype, but the new sculpt truly does look like Reeve to me.

Do you think if someone made a sculpt that significantly raised the bar above the production sculpt, that it would be easier for you to see how closely the proto and production overlap?

Have you ever used a camera before with a wide angle lens? It's a simple phenomena that occurs. On the left image, you are seeing more of the image than on the right. You are seeing more of the side of the head than you would in real life and the right image you are seeing less of the image. Neither is accurate to what you will see in person. That is why I said the image is somewhere in between depending how close you are to the figure in person.

Below you can read and learn about lens perspective distortion which is what is occurring with the pictures on evilbay that look different even though they are the same sculpt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

220px-Camera_focal_length_distance.gif

I know what you are saying. It just seems extreme in this case.

321597_1548544651620_1775205720_756517_1039410746_n.jpg

31183710.jpg

297731_185693004838574_100001936270990_408206_1263449958_n.jpg

30299110.jpg

dsc48710.jpg

1521e05f.jpg

All over the place! Just weird.:monkey1

Can't cease to be amazed at how many difference photography does (combined pics from evilbay).

wowwtfs.jpg

As if it were two different sculpt...

That's not just lighting. It's the lens distortion that's making the biggest difference. One is a much wider angle.

Have you ever used a camera before with a wide angle lens? It's a simple phenomena that occurs. On the left image, you are seeing more of the image than on the right. You are seeing more of the side of the head than you would in real life and the right image you are seeing less of the image. Neither is accurate to what you will see in person. That is why I said the image is somewhere in between depending how close you are to the figure in person.

Below you can read and learn about lens perspective distortion which is what is occurring with the pictures on evilbay that look different even though they are the same sculpt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

220px-Camera_focal_length_distance.gif

Yeah, what he said.^^^ :clap

To my eye, the one on the right was taken at close range which distorts the size of the anterior face, whereas the one on the left has the camera at a distance zoomed in, which I find produces a better in-hand appearance.

I know what you are saying. It just seems extreme in this case.

All over the place! Just weird.:monkey1

maybe that's just a feature of how Reeve's face is and why it's so hard to sculpt?

I think this figure looks good?

there-might-be-a-banana-not-sure.gif

That's not just lighting. It's the lens distortion that's making the biggest difference. One is a much wider angle.

Photography =/= Lighting

Lern to read Mag, or I'll kiil you!

funny-gifs-penguins-are-jerks.gif

Do you think if someone made a sculpt that significantly raised the bar above the production sculpt, that it would be easier for you to see how closely the proto and production overlap?

Not sure I understand the question. I think the new sculpt does significantly raise the bar. :dunno

Honestly, I don't know what the point of this conversation is...

Photography =/= Lighting

Lern to read Mag, or I'll kiil you!

funny-gifs-penguins-are-jerks.gif

:slap Sorry, I actually did misread your post. I saw "lighting" but you typed "photography!. :lol Sorry. :peace

I've seen the 1/4 Reeve sculpt that Arnie Kim has done and I'm really pleased with the likeness on the 1/6 now.

BUT...........

If HT were to release a 1/4 figure of Reeve I'd like to see another sculptor have a go at it rather than Arnie. (Kojun or Yulli) I think the 1/4 HS that was shown looked good but had an element of Bad Superman about it.

Last edited:

I've seen the 1/4 Reeve sculpt that Arnie Kim has done and I'm really pleased with the likeness on the 1/6 now.

BUT...........

If HT were to release a 1/4 figure of Reeve I'd like to see another sculptor have a go at it rather than Arnie. (Kojun or Yulli) I think the 1/4 HS that was shown looked good but had an element of Bad Superman about it.

LOL...Bad Superman??
299607_2433482004016_1460645150_2808832_1320185502_n.jpg

Back