1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Blablabla everytime, the headsculpts are re-worked and it's MAYBE because the hot toys guys are nitpicking too with theirs art..

The headsculpts are not always reworked. When they are, I'm pretty sure it's not because a bunch of nerds are screaming about it. It's because that little statement at the bottom of the pictures, "Prototype subject to change" is there so people will know it's not a finished product and they're still working on it. That's conveniently overlooked.

Most of the time the sculpt comes out as-is. DX Joker, for example. DX Batman. If there's something reasonable to tweak, they'll do it. If it's stupid minutiae, they do the smart thing and release what they deem to be close enough for all but the most obsessive fans.

Relax everybody. It looks fine. Buy it or not buy it. That is it. I´m buying.

i wonder how many pages this thread can get up to by November??...and how many insults will be contained in those pages ......:1-1:

It is in "The Sun" pics too:

0530-00487-002b3.jpg

But, hey! It is in production! Don't worry!

Actually, that's a really good pic of the head sculpt!

I Was talkin about the seam on the neck!

You guys that want to nitpick and complain keep at it, you guys that want to float in the clouds over it keep at it. Don't let anyone try and bully you from either side to stop participating in whatever you want to do. If either side is over it, skip the posts that bring it back up.

Please understand that I don't want to throw my lot in with any overly dramatic critics of this figure. I am very impressed with what has been shown, and I am buying it as-is. But I have a hard time getting my mind around this sentiment:

What would make you happy isn't attainable in a mass-produced product...

crOw isn't the only one who has made statement to this effect. It seems to be a popular idea.

This WOULD make us HAPPY. If HT gives us this, in fact, EVERYBODY will be HAPPY!

968126fc-e277-40a3-a73d-e73fd4374709.gif

^^^Surly that is a true statement. :huh

It is an improvement. And I just don't understand why so many think it is "impossible" to accomplish. Why is it "unattainable"??? :confused:

On the other hand:

Remember that this is what we got a few years ago.

hottoyssuperman.jpg

Look how far they've come from that.

You can't really argue with that, which is why I am happy with the figure as-is. But it's silly to claim it couldn't have possibly been better.

I guess I just think both sides are being unreasonable. :dunno

I Was talkin about the seam on the eck!

I know, but you unwittingly posted one of the best pics of the HS! The main reason is because the lighting isn't directly over the figure, reducing the shadow of the brow over the eyes. It makes the eyes look better.

Just wanted to point that out. :wink1:

Can't we just get along and respect each other's views? You like this figure, then go buy it, and when you receive it, enjoy it, display it, take pictures and post them, be happy with it, and I'll be happy for you. BUT, just to be fair, wouldn't it be nice if you're happy for me too, that I didn't buy it because it didn't reach my expectations?

It would be a nicer and kinder world if we all just learn to get along... :wave:wave

:panic: Wait 'till NAM sees that! :panic:

It is an improvement. And I just don't understand why so many think it is "impossible" to accomplish. Why is it "unattainable"???

Remember your continual critique over the paint on the Inception head? That's a perfect example. Sometimes, even with the best of intentions, in an effort to achieve "perfection" or as the douches are saying "accuracy" the end result can easily look worse than before. Sometimes it's just best to leave good enough alone. There are other HT WIPs that need far more work than this where this type of behavior would be more than justified.

That's where we disagree.

There's nothing about the changes proposed that are not attainable in a mass produced produced, except for MAYBE the neck thickness as it may hamper poseability

The changes proposed are so small that they aren't attainable thanks to imperfections that will arise from the manufacturing process. Maybe some guy making a run of 10 pieces and hand-sculpting everything will be able to attain near-perfection, but products being made in a giant factory just won't be able to reach that standard.

Again, I'll just point out the massive magnification these pictures put the sculpt through and how every little imperfection is highlighted. In-hand, 99% of the problems people are freaking out over won't be an issue to anyone but the people who refuse to drop their arguments.

Are you suggesting that each cast of a head varies so much that the changes wouldn't matter? Because that would be :cuckoo:

Seeing the changes next to the HT head, it might seem like a minorish list of changes, but looking at the gif, one can see that the changes are pretty dramatic. If the heads were cast in a mold that looked like that, there would be a marked difference in the finished product. Not getting how that can be denied or debated.

And just to keep my posts balanced, I'll say again, that I'm buying it regardless. :)

Anyone else notice how the S shield appears stitched together? Really nice attention to detail. I believe, from the pics I've seen, that the shield is actually supposed to be sewn within the costume rather than over it, but I think Hot Toys made the right decision considering the scale.

I hate waiting! I hope when Hot Toys ships Superman out this winter that they'll hurl my figure out into space around the globe so often and so fast that it arrives at my house yesterday.
(Man, I'm stupid. :rotfl)

Remember your continual critique over the paint on the Inception head? That's a perfect example. Sometimes, even with the best of intentions, in an effort to achieve "perfection" or as the douches are saying "accuracy" the end result can easily look worse than before. Sometimes it's just best to leave good enough alone. There are other HT WIPs that need far more work than this where this type of behavior would be more than justified.

Yeah, I remember that. However, most of the changes I called for did improve the paint job on mine with one exception: The hair was too washed out. I had to eat crow and send it back to Greggo and have the hair repainted. It is worth pointing out that the hair color looked very different in-hand than the pics that were posted. Everything else about that paint-job (face, eyes, etc.) is perfect IMO.

Also, I think color is more nebulous than sculpting.

Color can be effected by lighting, camera, etc, etc.

Generally speaking the dimensions of a face are tangible enough that it is much less subjective than a discussion about color. I know that different aspects of a sculpt come forward depending on camera angle, but HT has supplied us with many camera angles.

I do understand your point though. To much tweaking can result in a worse final product.

It is worth pointing out that the hair color looked very different in-hand than the pics that were posted.

Everything looks different in hand than in does in pictures. That Inception fella, the hamburger from Burger King and this Reeve Superman will.

Yeah, I remember that. However, most of the changes I called for did improve the paint job on mine with one exception: The hair was too washed out. I had to eat crow and send it back to Greggo and have the hair repainted. It is worth pointing out that the hair color looked very different in-hand than the pics that were posted. Everything else about that paint-job (face, eyes, etc.) is perfect IMO.

Also, I think color is more nebulous than sculpting.

Color can be effected by lighting, camera, etc, etc.

Generally speaking the dimensions of a face are tangible enough that it is much less subjective than a discussion about color. I know that different aspects of a sculpt come forward depending on camera angle, but HT has supplied us with many camera angles.

I do understand your point though. To much tweaking can result in a worse final product.

Exactly. And as others have pointed out, we're looking at an LSB-sized picture of the headsculpt. So of course these marginal differences will be considerably more obvious. But once scaled down, unless you're combing over the figure with jeweler's magnifiers, this is all mute... unless you're clinically diagnosed OCD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Everything looks different in hand than in does in pictures. That Inception fella, the hamburger from Burger King and this Reeve Superman will.

Absolutely. However, although the colors may look different the sculpt isn't likely to morph in-hand.

What will change is the perspective. Meaning that on the shelf we will be far enough away that the minor "inaccuracies" will not be as noticeable:

htsupermanpr10.jpg

:rock

[EDIT]
And as others have pointed out, we're looking at an LSB-sized picture of the headsculpt. So of course these marginal differences will be considerably more obvious. But once scaled down, unless you're combing over the figure with jeweler's magnifiers, this is all mute... unless you're clinically diagnosed OCD.

:exactly:

When the close up PS mods start getting to me, I just go back and look at the full body shots. :cool:

Sculpts are no different than people. And the features of someones face can and do look different in pics of all angles and lighting.

Why would anyone in his right mind, pay over $200 for an inaccurate figure, just to view it from afar so as not to notice the "minor inaccuracies"?

Seeing the changes next to the HT head, it might seem like a minorish list of changes, but looking at the gif, one can see that the changes are pretty dramatic. If the heads were cast in a mold that looked like that, there would be a marked difference in the finished product. Not getting how that can be denied or debated.

____ that photoshop. ____ it, cook it, and then eat it. (I agree with what you're saying Maglor, just used your quoted post as a point of reference for mine so don't get riled up.)

Sure, it's "GREEAAAAAT" in terms of reference and proportional issues but you can't just throw it up there and say, "hey Hot Toys, fix it and make it like this".

I'm starting to see the folly with photoshop critiques now. I made quite a few for Indiana Jones and Spider-Man, some of which were decent enough to get some attention but looking back, unless it's for fun or if the figure is REALLY off (unlike this Superman one) then it makes you look like a total ******.

As with everything, there ain't nothing like the real thing.

Not one person is taking into account the difference of these photos and what the in hand experience will be, not one (there are some, but they're ignored with blatant cries of "INACCURATE, INACCURATE!". Some are even saying that there isn't a difference between 2D and 3D. Our eyes and perspective aren't like a cameras or a crappy computer monitor, they're better. We can see dimension and have different perspectives. I don't think it's fair to expect Hot Toys to achieve that photoshop or anything close to it because it's really no different than expecting them to capture an exact look from a movie still.

I'd be more impressed to see someone take this Hot Toys sculpt and tweak it with their bare hands and some sculpting tools but that is close to impossible without the prototype.

Also, bearing in mind that this is a prototype I think most of you are inexperienced when it comes to 1/6 collecting, specifically that of Hot Toys. Hot Toys usually tweaks and changes things before we finally get them in hand (all of which look better than the pictures) a point a few have tried to make but nobody seems to be listening to.

Why would anyone in his right mind, pay over $200 for an inaccurate figure, just to view it from afar so as not to notice the "minor inaccuracies"?

Heh, all my figures are viewed from what you are calling "afar". And you know what? All of them have inaccuracies.

It's a question of how bad the inaccuracies are. And I've payed good money for figures that are less accurate than this one.

Back