MMO players are strange folk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
Most of you know I have a great distaste for the old MMO's. Here is a prime example why. I mean seriously! Get a damn life!

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British couple who married in a lavish Second Life wedding ceremony are to divorce after one of them had an alleged "affair" in the online world.

Second Life users can interact and form relationships with other players' avatars.

Amy Taylor, 28, said she had caught husband David Pollard, 40, having sex with an animated woman. The couple, who met in an Internet chatroom in 2003, are now separated.

"I went mad -- I was so hurt. I just couldn't believe what he'd done," Taylor told the Western Morning News. "It may have started online, but it existed entirely in the real world and it hurts just as much now it is over."

Second Life allows users to create alter egos known as "avatars" and interact with other players, forming relationships, holding down jobs and trading products and services for a virtual currency convertible into real life dollars. iReport.com: Share your stories from Second Life

Taylor said she had caught Pollard's avatar having sex with a virtual prostitute: "I looked at the computer screen and could see his character having sex with a female character. It's cheating as far as I'm concerned."

Don't Miss
Woman arrested for killing virtual reality husband
Avatars in rehab: Getting therapy in virtual worlds
The couple's real-life wedding in 2005 was eclipsed by a fairy tale ceremony held within Second Life.

But Taylor told the Western Morning News she had subsequently hired an online private detective to track his activities: "He never did anything in real life, but I had my suspicions about what he was doing in Second Life." iReport.com: Anger in a virtual world

Pollard admitted having an online relationship with a "girl in America" but denied wrongdoing. "We weren't even having cyber sex or anything like that, we were just chatting and hanging out together," he told the Western Morning News.

Taylor is now in a new relationship with a man she met in the online roleplaying game World of Warcraft.

Most of you know I have a great distaste for the old MMO's. Here is a prime example why. I mean seriously! Get a damn life!

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British couple who married in a lavish Second Life wedding ceremony are to divorce after one of them had an alleged "affair" in the online world.

Second Life users can interact and form relationships with other players' avatars.

Amy Taylor, 28, said she had caught husband David Pollard, 40, having sex with an animated woman. The couple, who met in an Internet chatroom in 2003, are now separated.

"I went mad -- I was so hurt. I just couldn't believe what he'd done," Taylor told the Western Morning News. "It may have started online, but it existed entirely in the real world and it hurts just as much now it is over."

Second Life allows users to create alter egos known as "avatars" and interact with other players, forming relationships, holding down jobs and trading products and services for a virtual currency convertible into real life dollars. iReport.com: Share your stories from Second Life

Taylor said she had caught Pollard's avatar having sex with a virtual prostitute: "I looked at the computer screen and could see his character having sex with a female character. It's cheating as far as I'm concerned."

Don't Miss
Woman arrested for killing virtual reality husband
Avatars in rehab: Getting therapy in virtual worlds
The couple's real-life wedding in 2005 was eclipsed by a fairy tale ceremony held within Second Life.

But Taylor told the Western Morning News she had subsequently hired an online private detective to track his activities: "He never did anything in real life, but I had my suspicions about what he was doing in Second Life." iReport.com: Anger in a virtual world

Pollard admitted having an online relationship with a "girl in America" but denied wrongdoing. "We weren't even having cyber sex or anything like that, we were just chatting and hanging out together," he told the Western Morning News.

Taylor is now in a new relationship with a man she met in the online roleplaying game World of Warcraft.

She was just looking for a way out. It's not the MMO that made these people weird, they were already that way. I mean we can't label them weird simply because of the hobby they choose. That's the whole calling the kettle black thing here isn't it? I am sure some craziness has happened here, it just didn't make the news but a few doesn't justify defining the whole...weird.

My wife left me in Fable 2 because I had unprotected sex with a prostitute. ^^^^^ :thwak

She was just looking for a way out. It's not the MMO that made these people weird, they were already that way. I mean we can't label them weird simply because of the hobby they choose. That's the whole calling the kettle black thing here isn't it? I am sure some craziness has happened here, it just didn't make the news but a few doesn't justify defining the whole...weird.

Agreed. This sort of generalization is unfair, but common.

this is funny but i hope you didnt just now come to the conclusion that MMO people are strange.

Nope have had that assumption for a long long time. Seriously I can fully say that the only people on this earth I have distaste for are people that play these games and get that wrapped up. Notice I said that wrapped up. Of course you can play and have fun (I guess). But to most people that play this is their lives. Very strange and weird.

I know this won't help preconceptions about MMO players, but here are Amy Taylor and David Pollard, the now separated MMO couple:

coupleweddingSW_450x300.jpg

and here are their online avatars, from left to right, Taylor, Pollard and the girl Pollard was virtually banging:

full story and source of pics here.

Nope have had that assumption for a long long time. Seriously I can fully say that the only people on this earth I have distaste for are people that play these games and get that wrapped up. Notice I said that wrapped up. Of course you can play and have fun (I guess). But to most people that play this is their lives. Very strange and weird.

Some people that play this have such low self-esteem that the virtual world is their only sense of accomplishment; which is sad in itself. I will occasionally play a MMO, but only for a little bit, takes up too much damn time.

I know this won't help preconceptions about MMO players, but here are Amy Taylor and David Pollard, the now separated MMO couple:

and here are their online avatars, from left to right, Taylor, Pollard and the girl Pollard was virtually banging:

That is FRAKKING hilarious. I can see their online avatars look JUST like them.

lol..i agree wholeheartedly. my brother is one of those peeps. he's addicted to WOW to the point that he left one of his classes because he got an email from a friend that his clan was going on a raid and that they needed his help. he actually left class, drove 20 mins to get home and jump online to use his level 69 mage powers to save the day. :banghead

hahahahahhahahahaha!!!!! oh noes!!! that is freaking awesomeness.

lol..i agree wholeheartedly. my brother is one of those peeps. he's addicted to WOW to the point that he left one of his classes because he got an email from a friend that his clan was going on a raid and that they needed his help. he actually left class, drove 20 mins to get home and jump online to use his level 69 mage powers to save the day. :banghead
only level 69?? cant imagine he was much help. did he cast "magic missile"??

Back