Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (July 14th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved TGM but I never got behind the MI movies just not my thing. I don’t hate them nothing like that.

I’ll take old Indy over MI any day of the week!

Sorry-Gar lol
Yeah, if they were lean two hour action flicks then I could get behind them and actually start going to the theater to see them again. But 2 hrs 43 min just to watch "Part One?" Hell no, lol.

I'll definitely be curious to read your review Wor-Gar. But for all the press that Cruise's motorcycle stunt is getting to me it's still nothing more than a less cool version of the stuntman jumping a motorcycle off a cliff after a real descending airplane at the beginning of Goldeneye.

I'll definitely be curious to read your review Wor-Gar. But for all the press that Cruise's motorcycle stunt is getting to me it's still nothing more than a less cool version of the stuntman jumping a motorcycle off a cliff after a real descending airplane at the beginning of Goldeneye.

The Spy Who Loved Me jump in 1977 cannot be beat.

I doubt that's the only big stunt in this MI movie though. Like his plane gag in MI5, it's probably the opening bit.

:lecture :exactly::lecture

There are a billion cliff jumps and a trillion parachute jumps uploaded on social media every second.

This time I was not impressed.

And I haven't changed my mind. MI:2 is just finishing on telly, yeah, easily the weakest of the films. It departed far too much in style from the first movie. A lot of really cringe stuff in fact. Painfully self-conscious in its attempt to be hip and cool, even down to Cruise's hair and costuming throughout. Totally comes off as a parody of sorts with the slow-mo and silly zooming shots.

I absolutely love the second one, if anything it’s underrated to me. I do appreciate John Woos ridiculously over the top “stylized” action though, it’s always entertaining. I remember the soundtrack being fantastic too. I honestly don’t think it was trying to be hip, a lot of what you’re describing just sounds like Woo’s directing style. Oh and Cruise had his hair like that a lot throughout his career, I don’t think that was specifically for the movie lol.

I absolutely love the second one, if anything it’s underrated to me. I do appreciate John Woos ridiculously over the top “stylized” action though, it’s always entertaining. I remember the soundtrack being fantastic too. I honestly don’t think it was trying to be hip, a lot of what you’re describing just sounds like Woo’s directing style. Oh and Cruise had his hair like that a lot throughout his career, I don’t think that was specifically for the movie lol.
Yep M:I-2 was just token early 2000's John Woo and Tom Cruise. He had similar hair in Magnolia and Vanilla Sky. The thing that bugged me the most out of M:I-2 was the practically G-rated bloodless violence which was just all wrong for a John Woo movie. You *need* that hyper-violence and blood shooting everywhere as a gruesome juxtaposition with the slow-mo and doves, otherwise yeah it all just comes across as silly.

I hated John Woo's American films.
So did he up until Face/Off. Here's me and Johnny at the US theatrical premiere of Bullet in the Head. Wow, almost 27 years to the day.

Woo2.jpg

Back