Metal Gear Solid Customs Thread: SUBSISTENCE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey bro u got to show me or if u can sell me one them figure it's awesome
wtf_____gif__by_seanguy4-d7b2o0g.png

What Solidus said.

The eye is lifeless and sloppy and lack eyelashes, the skintone is flat and leaks to the hair and there is no shading whatsoever. GDB is a fellow member who does painting, try getting in touch with him. I wouldn't have something that horribly painted in my collection.

I used to question at the "absurd" prices painters charge until I realized it's an incredibly detailed and painstaking process that takes days with lots of patience and skills.

That still needs a better repaint, as it looks caked on like a McFarlane figure. It would cost a bit more, but you should really consider having that head-sculpt professionally painted by someone over at the customs boards.

How about these goggles?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-Hot-DRAGON-US-Army-Ranger-Goggles-Toys-BHD-/330376304154?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4cebf6561a

The shape of the frame is similar to what Big Boss is wearing. But, you'll have to modify it a bit.

That's actually not changed at all from the old picture. :lol

I'm totally aware I could have someone go at it, I just really want to do his one myself. Work in progress/learning experience and all that jazz.

In terms of the goggles, I may be wrong but they really look like motorcycle goggles, not sure, keeping an eye out.

AND I need a better vest. Trust me, I'm not new to the custom game, I know how much time and money it costs, I just wanted to tackle something myself for once, especially since the sculpt was just 20 bucks.

Last edited:
I just realized, they look like Eva's goggles!! :slap

Metal-Gear-Solid-3-Cosplay-Prop-Eva-Goggles-Version-01-1.jpg

How the heck did Big Boss get them, anyway?

chara_snake.jpg

That's actually not changed at all from the old picture. :lol

I'm totally aware I could have someone go at it, I just really want to do his one myself. Work in progress/learning experience and all that jazz.

In terms of the goggles, I may be wrong but they really look like motorcycle goggles, not sure, keeping an eye out.

AND I need a better vest. Trust me, I'm not new to the custom game, I know how much time and money it costs, I just wanted to tackle something myself for once, especially since the sculpt was just 20 bucks.

I think its totally respectable tackling it yourself and learning along the way. Keep working on your technique and try to add smaller details around the edges. What type of paint are you using?

I think its totally respectable tackling it yourself and learning along the way. Keep working on your technique and try to add smaller details around the edges. What type of paint are you using?

Acrylics, I'm out of town at the moment so I don't know the exact brand off the top of my head.

Acrylics, I'm out of town at the moment so I don't know the exact brand off the top of my head.

I find that thinning them way down with water and applying them in many many layers gives for a much better look in the end.

Since we are sharing our Venon Snake WIP's I'll share a picture of the one I'm currently working on. Still a ways to go though...

MGS1 Meryl work in progress, I just bought the Sarah Connor tank top which is perfect for her TTS look She's still missing the wrist sleeves and gun holster and I need to finish painting the head someday. Many thanks to Snake Plissken for the reference pics of her boots, I manage to sculpt a pair few months ago.

14631416970_ec3ac4409f_c.jpg

14631413920_8711c338c3_c.jpg

14631480968_b50ca862cf_c.jpg

Back