Action Figure Medicom - MAFEX Star Wars line coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say I like the saber and hilt a lot, and the cape is nice. Its partially lined with a wire.....just wish they ran the wire along the bottom. Even with the wire, the cape tends to want to flow out a bit

Hmm, on his own he looks good, but, he needs cohorts/lackeys or someone to duel with to truly be Vader. I really think I'm swung towards the BS now.

Excellent pictures, imo he looks fantastic. Much better than the OG Vader. Despite all the criticism, your pics just sold me on him

Yeah, I see his words he says but the photos don't seem to match up to what he's saying:lol I've had my Mafex Vader for about a week now and found the new BS Vader yesterday. I'll do comparison pics this week, myself.

Yeah, I see his words he says but the photos don't seem to match up to what he's saying:lol I've had my Mafex Vader for about a week now and found the new BS Vader yesterday. I'll do comparison pics this week, myself.

Excellent pictures, imo he looks fantastic. Much better than the OG Vader. Despite all the criticism, your pics just sold me on him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol OK, fair enough. I hear you guys. Well, you can get the figure to look OK with a lot of efforts, time and patience. But all this work is just to make up for flaws. That's not right. That's not what makes a good figure.

And thank you, by the way! :)

I will say I like the saber and hilt a lot, and the cape is nice. Its partially lined with a wire.....just wish they ran the wire along the bottom. Even with the wire, the cape tends to want to flow out a bit

Yes, some parts do shine. I also like the paint apps, the fine sculpting and the quality of the plastics used. It's a shame that all put together, it's a mess.

On a side note: on the last pics I had removed the wires of the cape, but it doesn't help too much.

Excellent pictures, imo he looks fantastic. Much better than the OG Vader. Despite all the criticism, your pics just sold me on him lol

Yeah me too can't wait, those photos are also having an encouraging affect on me. Mind you I too have the 40th Vader, love the helmet sculpt and even bought a cast of it to put on my first Mafex Vader - looks great.

Btw, I've heard that the Mafex Sandtrooper is too tall anyway and is that the Mafex Death Trooper? That's also going to be another tall trooper. Try standing him next to the standard Mafex Stormtrooper, Mafex Boba(s), Figuarts RO Stormtrooper, Figuarts Han and Luke.

Yeah me too can't wait, those photos are also having an encouraging affect on me. Mind you I too have the 40th Vader, love the helmet sculpt and even bought a cast of it to put on my first Mafex Vader - looks great.

Btw, I've heard that the Mafex Sandtrooper is too tall anyway and is that the Mafex Death Trooper? That's also going to be another tall trooper. Try standing him next to the standard Mafex Stormtrooper, Mafex Boba(s), Figuarts RO Stormtrooper, Figuarts Han and Luke.

Yes, I do think the Sandtrooper is a bit tall, probably due to a very long mid-section. He is as tall as the Deathtrooper (which is Black Series, by the way. Awesome figure for the price!). I might try to grab a Stormtrooper and one of their Bobas. Dunno.

While I'm there, here is another pic with added effects.

OK, so I received this Mafex Vader and I owe Oh Hell No! an apology. Proportions look bad in the promo pics but they are worse in person.

Out of the box and standing straight, the figure looks awful. Huge legs and feet, tiny hands, matchstick arms, small head... The cape won't fall straight down either. The only way for this figure to look decent is in action or "theatrical" poses. But you won't have fun posing it. It's quite a pain in the ass, even with a huge track record of figure posing.

I am disappointed. Even if it is growing on me now, in the end, unless you want a dynamic Vader on your shelf, I can't recommend this figure. If you can grab a 40th anniversary Vader or the latest regular one, go for it. I think it will look better overall.

Anyway, some pics of mine. I hope you enjoy.

Plus, for a Vader, he looks most unimpressive. He seems scaled with other figures from Medicom or Hasbro but he lacks presence. Not imposing enough IMHO.

Looks good to me. That's the best "bad" figure I've ever seen :lol That and the Hasbro 40th are the best Vader I've seen.

Agreed it looks great in those pics, and I'm not even a fan. The hemlines on the cape look terrible, though.

Those are great pictures! He looks really good to me actually. They sold me on him whenever I get the funds. Thanks for sharing Iam_Dabatman!

Looks good to me. That's the best "bad" figure I've ever seen :lol That and the Hasbro 40th are the best Vader I've seen.

Agreed it looks great in those pics, and I'm not even a fan. The hemlines on the cape look terrible, though.

Those are great pictures! He looks really good to me actually. They sold me on him whenever I get the funds. Thanks for sharing Iam_Dabatman!

:lol OK! Well, thanks for the comments on the pics and glad they helped you make your mind despite my complaints, I guess.

I don't know, I'm quite new to 1:12 collecting and I might be asking too much.

Anyway, even if I dislike(d) this figure it's now part of my collection and I feel I must make the best of it. Must say I'm starting to get a hold of it. Here is where I am now.

I had to modify the cape a bit but I finally had it to fall on the chest as I wanted.

Your great pictures didn't really help your case :lol

I have the first ROTJ version and it does have a lanky appearance. I wish they increased the thickness on the RO version, as even Kylo Ren has bigger arms than the Vader figures. But the helmet looks so much better this time around.

Your great pictures didn't really help your case :lol

I have the first ROTJ version and it does have a lanky appearance. I wish they increased the thickness on the RO version, as even Kylo Ren has bigger arms than the Vader figures. But the helmet looks so much better this time around.

First Mafex Vader with BS 40th Vader helmet
4830333e00449a8121bddfcf59bbeb37.jpg

Hmm, looks a little large to me. How does that cape attach? I was thinking of putting that cape on the BS.

That's a poorly crafted custom cape of non fraying fabric.

Re the large helmet, open to opinions but I thought the helmet was always meant to be larger (like the Boba helmet which Mafex nailed it and now Hasbro with the new Forcelink two pack 3.75 figure). Conversely, some believe the even this Mafex R1 Vader's Helmet is a tad small - but it's much better than the original Mafex Vader.

That's a poorly crafted custom cape of non fraying fabric.

Re the large helmet, open to opinions but I thought the helmet was always meant to be larger (like the Boba helmet which Mafex nailed it and now Hasbro with the new Forcelink two pack 3.75 figure). Conversely, some believe the even this Mafex R1 Vader's Helmet is a tad small - but it's much better than the original Mafex Vader.

The helmet was indeed larger, but, you also had the proportions of Dave Prowse's body balancing it out. So far, only the BS has properly captured the bulk of Prowse properly. If you look at him in The Horror of Frankenstein, you see that he's really well built and he lost none of that bulk 7 years later. Most other 6" Vaders seem too skinny.

I know this is MALFEX thread but just received those 2 from Kotobukiya..looks very nice, 1:10 size.
20170908_152249-1195x2124.jpg

Got myself a new BS Vader today. I put the Mafex cape on him and he looks the business. Once you take the Mafex head off, the cape pegs into 2 small holes either side of the neck. The neck hole on the BS is just big enough for you to stuff the pegs in and put the head back on, and you don't lose movement. The saber blade on my BS was bent, but, I found that the Mafex blade slotted in just nicely! So, I now have a Vader that I'm fully happy with, and it's thanks to Hasbro, I know! (The weather is too crappy for my camera to take any decent pics, we'll see tomorrow.)

I definitely agree. The other thing I found, oddly, was that it was easier to get the BS into a pose where he looked like he was convincingly attacking Luke.

Back