Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right, lucky us. I don't like to think what might have came out if medi would be responsible for both items. :monkey4

The bike would cost presumable 700$ and look like this:
gilera_gp_800.jpg

:peace

But honestly I paid for the Kaneda as well. Could not think of the bike with out him. It is still very great on display. Makes me happy everyday.

I'd be more worried about the outfit interacting with the rubber of the bikes seat. I have a feeling anything placed up against that seat could cause deterioration.

I put a thin piece of brown paper between Kaneda and the seat just in case.

Not a bad idea Ryu... but also happy to hear some have had him seated the entire time w/o issue. When I opened my bike the seat looked kind of shiny so I was worried from the get go about it breaking down.

Alice,
currently i'm publishing a short story never released APPLE PARADISE, i tracked down the weekly mags where it was published and making my own book ^^)

:eek:eek:eek:eek

OK, I seriously just about plotzed my pants...do you know how long I've been looking for that??? I don't even know which weeklies it was in!!

My god, when can we see/read it???

As for rare stuff....I have "Boogie Woogie Waltz" and "Good Weather," and an awesome magazine from 1978 called "Pafu"....and I have "Orbital Era!!" And "Koen" but that's from 2007 so not really too rare....

Is any of that stuff new to you?

hey guys! Have you noticed and wear on kaneda's pants by letting him in a position that stretches the material??
I've just bought mine and I wouldn’t like to ruin it right away.. because the material looks a lot like the one used on vader's clothes (that pealed really easily)

I have the same concerns about the outfit... I would avoid any poses that really stretch the material.

Really pretty sucky figures when you start to think about it :lol But they look cool :huh

Yep but the face is realy allright. By the way, just found out that if you display your fresh toys you can keep the "new" smell longer. So you can go and sniff from time to time. :D

mljptcxw.jpg

This set is my all-time favorite. I'll post some of my own pics this weekend. I haven't had any issues with the material on the suit falling apart. I've never really had and issues with any of the materials on Medicom figures - except for one figure that I bought on eBay that arrived with the vinyl suit all sticky and flaking. But that was from a seller in Singapore and I hear the high humidity is the cause for that.

Well, I was seeing a topic about deterioration and I decided to open the boxes where some of my collectibles are. I don't have room enogh to them and I want to keep them away from dust. When I openned the first box, I realized that there were white spots of mold on the coat of my DX Joker. I cleaned and everything returned to normal. As the major problem in places of high humidity (I live in a beach town) is with the rubber, I was quickly to see the Batman DX. No problem. Not even mold spots! But when I opened the box of the Kaneda's bike, I was scary: the rubber seat had some weird spots, look:

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02599.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02607.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

I never put the Kaneda sitting on the bike, So I think the problem comes from humidity and the close contact with the Styrofoam (I also noticed that the pictures take up less moisture without the cardboar box).
To make matters worse, the rear tire was "swollen". But it is not like an air bubble. It is solid and hard, as if someone had stuck an extra piece of rubber on it. Even the color and shape of the salience are beyond the design of the tire! I had never saw it untill today, but it was the first thing I noticed when I opened the box tonight. At this moment I can't say if it was already there or not. Could it be the humidity?

DSC02592.jpg

Now I do not know what to do. I have a friend who is a upholsterer and he can make one just like it, and real leather. But the tire, just spinning and hiding the defective part. However it devalues ​​the piece a lot! Does Bandai trade only tire?

Last edited:
It's difficult to tell from your pics, but the swirl pattern on the bike seat is normal. My seat has it too, and it's a result of the rubber injectors filling the mold in the manufacturing process.

As for spots, I can't really tell. Your seat looks like mine, as near as I can see. A slight variance in the seat texture is to be expected.

The bulge in your tire is abnormal, and could have been a manufacturing defect. The tires on my bike are fine.

But--and here is the lesson--my bike has been on display in a dust-free case behind glass. No direct sunlight and lit by cool LEDs.
Since you left your bike in the box, it's impossible to say what was a manufacturing defect and what has since transpired due to heat, humidity, or the off-gassing of the plastics in a confined environment.

I can't fathom spending money on big ticket items like the Kaneda bike and then leaving it in the box! These items are meant to be displayed and enjoyed, otherwise what's the point? If you don't have enough room, then scale down to a smaller version.

Sorry to hear about the tire, though. Since you're in a high humidity area, that could very well be a factor (and likely the culprit for the mold on your Joker jacket). But folks who think that leaving mixed media plastics in the original box in the hopes that they will never age or deteriorate are fooling themselves. If anything, allowing the item to breathe and off-gas will allow it to age more gracefully.

(At the very least, liberate that badboy long enough to slap some batteries in and enjoy the light effects! :wink1:)

______

I've had mine out in the open for almost a year now. In this INSANE Japanese humidity!! (We had a hell of a summer...still going on actually...)

I haven't noticed any problems...I dust the toy every now and then and even rub it down with a soft damp cloth. Kaneda has been riding his bike for a while and I've had no problems with the leather or rubber "melting." Of course, I've been running my AC almost 24/7, so I'm sure that helps! But I don't have an airtight case or anything...the bike is on a shelf in open air! Foolish? Maybe...but I agree that a prize this beautiful needs to be OPEN and DISPLAYED the be appreciated!!

My main concern isn't mold or humidity....it's earthquakes! I dread coming home and finding it in pieces on the ground after a big one! But that's the price we pay to live in Japan, isn't it?

Very interesting that the rubber would turn out like that. I have had mine displayed since I got it last year. It's such a wonderful bike. I enjoy the bike more than the HT Batpod or the HT Tumbler.

Back