Mattel Retro-Action Mego line...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the angry orc

Super Freak
Reaction score
just got this in from matty.com. mattel has a 'new' retro-action line (basically redos of the mego figures). the 'exclusive' is green arrow. he is very similar to his mego counterpart (almost exact) with a few updates. so if you were (or are) into megos (which i am) you will dig him...if you aren't into megos then you won't. the 'world's greatest' series 1 will include superman, lex, hal jordan and sinestro.

002-3.jpg

003-5.jpg

007-6.jpg

010-6.jpg

021-5.jpg

022-10.jpg

016-5.jpg

Last edited:
Mego figures were a little before my time, but I did have some as a kid. The Mego Speedy is one figure I've wanted for a long while but never got around to picking him up. I hope Mattel does the Teen Titans.

Pretty kewl. I'll grab Supes and Batman. Too bad no Marvel . . . .\

A side note, I pulled my box of Famous Covers down to sell on ebay, but other than Spiderman, are worthless lol.

truth.

Never got into these but like Amused said "blast from the past". Truth be told though, after the Classics line, I don't see how these could appeal to anyone other than collectors of the original line :huh

yah, i think they are aimed pretty much right at mego collectors.

A side note, I pulled my box of Famous Covers down to sell on ebay, but other than Spiderman, are worthless lol.

Gave all mine to my Girlfreinds nieces little boy for Christmas.Along with a 1/18 R/C Mini cooper.He loved em!!

That looks pretty cool, but until Matty Collector stops using Digital River, I'm done ordering anything from them.

Never got into these but like Amused said "blast from the past". Truth be told though, after the Classics line, I don't see how these could appeal to anyone other than collectors of the original line :huh
Though I think you are largely right (and there does seem to be a pretty strong Mego fanbase out there), they might also attract some collectors who are interested in a more basic, maybe even kitschy type of toy referencing a "simpler" time. I can imagine people liking these who aren't so interested in the more detailed, heavily articulated DCUC figures, though not the typical comic memorabilia collector.

From the prices the old Mego figures still go for, I say that market is still large.

The 8" Spiderman is one of the kewlest figure ever made IMHO.

Green Arrow was my most favoritest Mego of all time. But I'm not buying this. I have the DCD13, which satisfies my GA needs adequately.

GL and maybe Sinestro are the only ones I'd buy. Personally I like the old Mego figures but am not interested really in an attempt to recapture that nostalgia. Megos are great because its a glimpse into the past and for the knack of having an older collectible. Moderns just won't have that pull.

I'll be collecting these...wish they did marvel too!

The 8" Spiderman is one of the kewlest figure ever made IMHO.

100% truth.

i'm excited about the 'modern' megos the way i am excited about the motu line from mattel. they are a nice update on the originals but megos have their own niche. even the updates are 'time specific'. the motu stuff is new and stands up to any other line on the market. it is fully modernized in terms of sculpt, paint, articulation, etc while retaining the vintage aspect and look for th emost part. megos can't really be too modernized b/c you will loose what made them megos. they are kind of similar imo to vintage 12'' joes. like mike said, they are a glimpse into the past. they are a snapshot of toy history. but as far as the nostalgia pull idk. i still collect vintage mego stuff but seeing this green arrow carded still made me feel like a kid again walking into my neighborhood drug store.

Last edited:
Not really feeling this one. I kinda prefer the original, definitely one of the best Mego's made. The green bow is nice though.

Might have to pic up Green Lantern as every Ollie needs a Hal.

yah, the original is still one of the all time best imo. though i really dig this headsculpt.

The head is pretty cool. I never had Mego's as a kid but really dig the simplicity of the designs. A couple years back I went through and picked all the DC guys expect the Titans. Pretty neat stuff if you're into vintage toys.

I loved Megos and still do today. I think the 12" Superman from the movie is one of the best likenesses for Christopher Reeve or just Superman in general and I love this series. The original series had some great figures but as the line went on it seemed that the Marvel figures got better and the DC ones stayed the same. Hopefully the DC Megos finally get their due.

Back