Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion (updated page 1)

I think you guys confuse details with better accuracy far too much.

I guess if Venkman has pok marks then it must be more accurate?!

I think the Mattel heads are a little childish but I see far more accuracy in them then these costume heads that you guys love to rave about.

I think the Mattel heads are a little childish but I see far more accuracy in them then these costume heads that you guys love to rave about.

So are you saying you prefer the stock heads over the ones offered by Spenser? Gonna have to diagree with you there, but the fun of the internets is we all get to have opinions :lol

I gave all the suits a tea bath last night... just as touch darker and more worn looking; so pretty happy with the result. I was half watching Ghostbusters last night while messing with the figures; and I noticed that the doo-hickeys on their belts are different for each person; anyone have a guide as to what stuff is on each person's belt?

Generally speaking I agree about the usual customizer groupies but in this particular case I couldn't disagree more. I think the Matty Egon and Winston are okay. Venkman looks like an animated version of Murray at best and Ray looks like no human I am aware of. And "new and improved" Ray is just the same Ray with different, still awful hair.

All of Spencer's sculpts are more recognizable, completely aside from realistic detail IMO.

I seriously think you guys are getting bowled over with pok marks and wrinkles.

But folks do have different ways of seeing facial features so if you guys are happy then who am I to question that.

Of course if Hot Toys get the licence....

I really have not seen any Murray sculpt that I liked so far.
DO you guys like this one? I kind of like that he seemed scared like when he saw Slimmer at the Hotel. What do you guys think?

Mattel gets the basics Murray's facial structure. It's just a bit childish and too stylised I think.

None of these custom heads understand his face shape as far as I can see.

I seriously think you guys are getting bowled over with pok marks and wrinkles.

I don't think pock marks and wrinkles are clouding our eyes... I think one sculpt is very stylized and has some basic features of the actors and the other is pretty close to how they actually looked. Now don't get me wrong, for $60 the GB figures are amazing, but the sculpts are one of the weakest points.

Lets be honest, Murray was kind of rough looking :lol

(certainly not the best comparison, lighting, angle, etc.)
venkmana.jpg

I really have not seen any Murray sculpt that I liked so far.
DO you guys like this one? I kind of like that he seemed scared like when he saw Slimmer at the Hotel. What do you guys think?

That's pretty cool... there is something a bit off; but I dig the expression and confused look :lol With some work it would be great for a Caddy Shack figure :rock

Yeah,
I like that sculpt quite a bit!
I was going to order one, but decided to keep Spenser's.

Eamon, dude, crazy talk...
All the custom heads have more Murray in them than Mattel's sad attempt...

Well in that three way photo above, the Mattel head is the deformed one so if you want to compare them on that one then yes that Spencer skulpt is better.

But it's still not accurate. Eyebrows nose and whole head shape and size is not right.

But hey, I only paint faces for a living so what do I know! ;)

So there are deformed heads from Mattel? Any comparison's between the two? I really wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

So there are deformed heads from Mattel? Any comparison's between the two? I really wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

The packaging squashes the head, giving it an elongated appearance. If you heat it up you can reshape it. Doesn't help the fat lips, giant eyes, exaggerated chin cleft or Elvis hair, though.

Oh I see... so they all look like that, but you can mess with it a bit.

But yeah, even so the head is still very cartoonish to me, but we all likes what we likes I guess.

They have released a new version of PV with a new pain app on the face which looks a lot better.

I am not saying that the Mattel one is great but I fail to see what so great about Spencer's either.

There just hasn't been really decent likeness yet. Though I do like the 6" version.

Well in that three way photo above, the Mattel head is the deformed one so if you want to compare them on that one then yes that Spencer skulpt is better.

But it's still not accurate. Eyebrows nose and whole head shape and size is not right.

But hey, I only paint faces for a living so what do I know! ;)

:rolleyes2 Don't be THAT guy...

Proto vs. Production:

proto_vs_release.jpg

Before:

review_venkman12_3.jpg

After:

review_venkman12_4.jpg

Oh I see... so they all look like that, but you can mess with it a bit.

But yeah, even so the head is still very cartoonish to me, but we all likes what we likes I guess.

Exactly...

They have released a new version of PV with a new pain app on the face which looks a lot better.

I am not saying that the Mattel one is great but I fail to see what so great about Spencer's either.

There just hasn't been really decent likeness yet. Though I do like the 6" version.

Not so much of an improvement IMO:

https://youtu.be/D-KbjtaLmkY?t=4m19s

Yes it has Murray's hair line and shape, but it's far from likeness IMO...
If Mattel hadn't acquired the likeness of Murray, they could've still released this figure with no issues :lol

You might not think that Spenser's head looks great because most likely you don't have it in hand! ;)
While there's definitely room for improvement, I'd rather have my Peter with that head than Mattel's! :lol

Has anyone attempted a repaint of the Matty Venkman head? I'd be curious to see what it looked like with some natural skin tones, slightly narrower eyes, some "simulated" acne scarring, less uniform hair color etc.

It's hard to compare the Spenser, Matty and open-mouth Venkman heads when the Matty paint is so toy-like.

Obviously none of the heads are a bullseye. The open-mouth one captures some of Murray's attitude but he looks like a boy.

I really hope the Warriors Gate guys take a shot at Venkman.

So are there any new alternatives out there for the elbow pads? That is the last major hurdle I have on completing my set of figures.

So these are mine so far... I've got a set of Spenser's heads being painted and decals coming from EvilFace. Still need to sort out elbow pads; do some additional weathering and then they should be in the "good enough" category.

bba-1.jpg

I've got them all on TTL bodies with Newline boots and gave them all fabric belts. I also did a teabath for the uniforms which seems to make them look a bit better.

Pretty surprising how good the uniforms look and fit on properly scaled bodies.

Back