Mattel: DC Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah what is the material? Plastic? If so that's awesome weathering/"battle damage". Do you have a "making-of" photoset? It would be neat to see the process.

yeah its just plastic. i have a couple work in progress shots. ill create a thread.

my little collection of dc.

p2170020.jpg

p2170021.jpg

p2170022.jpg

p2170023.jpg

p2170024.jpg

p2170025.jpg

I already update my collection with the wonder twins and gleek, plastic man with suitcase and swamp thing with the un-men.

There's nothing like going into your local Wal Mart and seeing the entire set of the Apache Chief wave, loading them into your shopping cart and then begin to inspect them even closer, only to notice that some bottom dwelling, scum sucking leech had bought these, taken them home, and returned them after slicing the bottoms open and removing all the Apache Chief parts. :pfft: :gah:

Anyone looking for Batman Legacy figures of First Appearance, Classic Catwoman & Arkham City Harley or Arkham Nightwing?

I saw all of these at Target earlier tonight... I stopped buying and sold off all my DCUC stuff long ago... so I am out of the loop on the rare factor of these... but if anyone wants them I can pick them up tomorrow... just shoot me a PM.

M.

Okay so I have a little rant and want to get this off my chest so I apologize in advance.

So I was wondering what does Hasbro know that Mattel doesn't know? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything of that nature but I was looking at my RML Thor and I looked at my DCUC Superman and I just had to go what happened?
I remember when the DCSH/DCUC lines first started and I was thrilled at the possibility to get figures of the DC characters with great articulation, sculpt, paint, accessories etc. As the first few waves came out I eagerly sought after and collected the figures. Sure I was a little bit bummed that it just seemed like it was the same body used over and over again just painted differently but it was spectacular to have a Hal Jordan that could hold his ring to the lantern and a Flash that could actually run. And I assumed that as the line get going that Mattel would channel more money into the production of the figures to give us more accessories, better paint apps, different bodies, more articulation and unique sculpts of the big seven at least. Well time went on and only two of those happened really while the rest of it was not achieved. New bodies with better articulation were created but not used to their potential in my opinion. New head/cape sculpts of Superman and Batman that could have differentiated re-releases and warranted a purchase were not done.
And then character choice went from A-C listers to to G listers?!? Now I know everyone is entitled to a figure of one of their favorite characters but an entire waves of no name characters? That still clog the toy pegs after a reset?
I look at Thor - an entire new sculpt of a character that has had numerous versions in toy form. Now I know Hasbro does not have access to the Toy Biz molds but wouldn't fans call foul if Hasbro took the ML Walmart Thor, painted him up and said here is your Heroic Age Thor! And yet that is what Mattel seems to be doing with the majority of the DCUC/DCAS line.
The new Superman figure from the 52 - clearly a very marketable figure of an even more marketable character is not given an entirely new body from head to toe? The cape is a reuse from the DCU line!!! Where is the updated articulation that Mattel used on the GLC/DCUC?!? It's not there!! I know that Mattel will reissue this bad boy constantly especially in 2013 with the new movie, so why not go ahead and go the extra mile. Same for Batman. Give us a new figure with the added articulation.
And what about accessories? With a price tag of $15 I would love to have a few extra pieces. With Marvel Select I get a base at $20. Yet there is nothing thrown in there. I was looking at the Silver Age Catwoman at Walmart the other day and I saw that there was no whip in the package - WTH! For $15 I want a whip! And yet in Mattel's own line of MOTUC every figure gets accessories. Some even a new head! And this is a Mattel line. I do not get why there is not consistency between the two lines run by the same company. The ML and MU are probably ran by two different teams but there is consistency in the lines ran by the same company. Heck, Star Wars is treated in a similar fashion.
So why is it that Hasbro and the fans get it but not Mattel? To be sure they have enough money to go towards these things at retail so why not do it? I want to support the lines but I get frustrated over matters like this in the DCU lines. I want DCUC/DCAS to be treated like the Arkham City line - new sculpts, great paint apps.
Am I the only one who feels like this?

It's ironic that you use the new marvel legends thor to make your point since that is just a straight repaint of the San Diego exclusive.

Aside from that, I agree with all your points. Given that, however, I am glad to have in my possession every DCUC figure done. Mattel gave me an opportunity to collect DC Characters that has a wide range of recognition from A listers to D listers. They didn't do too much multiples of their characters which I would have considered a waste; unlike Marvel legends. How many wolverines did they produce? Right now I am so invested with this line that I do get angry that the price is going crazy, subscriptions are almost forced on me, and not enough accessories.
But I look at my collection and say, "damn. I love my DCUC collection"

Updated my collection and the setup. Removed it from the wallpaper style and bought some cabinets and some plexiglass to keep the dust off.

Picture293.jpg

@supes1938
You're on point, albeit, AJ is right about Thor, plus the rest of the line is a hodgepodge of a lot of their old stuff, but your point is well taken. Yes that new Batman is badass and certainly should have the new articulation, but this is DCUC, and the Mattel team seems marginally interested in its success..at times, not always, but a great many times that's how it's treated. Though understandable, it's hard to see Motu get showered with their creative genius and respect and watch icons like Batman get treated like an obligatory add. Whatever their reasons, it does get more and more difficult to see all the missed opportunities to make arguably the greatest DC line more perfect, and it's always a head scratcher to try and understand why characters like superman and Batman, and wonder woman for that matter, don't get the carte Blanche treatment. I'll always contend that DCUC only has very obligatory support among the Mattel design team, but then they do things like give us black mask and mirror master....but top it off by only giving MM one open hand and poison ivy two fist, duh? Are those nits, yes, but that little attention to detail is almost always carried through in Motu, so those nits have extra pissivity (my word) to them.
In the end, we are going to get what we get from them. It's difficult to understand what could make them up the amperage on the line...other than their constant cry for money. I'm glad we have what we have. Wish it were more. Rant on! The choir hears you!

I'm looking to purchase a hooded Green Arrow. Which one is the figure to get? DCUC or DCD Brightest Day? Scale doesn't matter since I collect both DCD and DCUC.

Back