Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sense. I guess I missed that one as a kid. My bad if I came across like a d*ck, it's been a long morning. I do love many of the figures in this line.

It is a collectors line, just not an adult collector line. Regardless of what it says on the package.

If it were a true adult line, I doubt we'd see so much gummy plastic and the all too obvious safety concerns like not making the fangs on Kobra Khan too pointy, etc.

I just don't get the fascination with some of this line. What possible interest would an adult collector have in laser light he man? Sometimes this doesn't seem like a collector's line.

It's nostalgia. Nostalgia is the main driving force behind this whole line. Whether it be from buying the toys and seeing them in a modernized toy version or the filmation versions.

Apparently all three Power-Con exclusives will ONLY be available at Power-Con. I'm not sure how this decision fits into their stated desire of making collectors feel like kings?

It is a collectors line, just not an adult collector line. Regardless of what it says on the package.

If it were a true adult line, I doubt we'd see so much gummy plastic and the all too obvious safety concerns like not making the fangs on Kobra Khan too pointy, etc.

Good points.

Apparently all three Power-Con exclusives will ONLY be available at Power-Con. I'm not sure how this decision fits into their stated desire of making collectors feel like kings?

From Val Staples regarding the 3 PowerCon exclusives:

"Hey everyone.

These are exclusive to Power-Con. They won't be available on MattyCollector.com.

I completely understand the plight of the completionist and that desire to get everything easily. At the same time, these exclusives are an important incentive to attract fans to Power-Con and to help fund an interactive He-Man and She-Ra fan experience of that size.

For those of you who can't attend the show, it may be worth considering how much you won't be spending on airfare, hotel and admission. Even if you pay a little more on a site such as eBay, you still come out ahead in terms of expense if attending a fan convention isn't an option. This is similar to the con exclusives at Joe Con and Bot Con and their limited nature.

Since the show is not for eleven months, there's plenty of time to try and organize getting the exclusive via other fans. In the MOTUC Marketplace, if anyone wants to start a thread where people who are attending the show are willing to help out others, that could be a way to secure the items you like. We'll post prices and purchase limit information here in the near future.

Given how limited these are, I don't anticipate extra stock after the show. But if we do end up with extra stock, they'll be offered online after the show. But I encourage people who know they can't attend the show to see if you can find someone to help you out!"

I know this doesn't really provide answers but, take what you will from the above statement.

Mattel would have a lot better rep if they weren't so upfront about things. I honestly think having a "face" to the company just hurts. Acknowledging the things that we find irritating but proceding to do them anyways is just annoying. I'd prefer a faceless organization that I felt was oblivious to my wants. That sounds weird I know. I think that's why people speak generally positively about foreign toy companies, because they don't even attempt to communicate with fans so their intentions are unknown.

Val Staples said:
These are exclusive to Power-Con. They won't be available on MattyCollector.com.

It seems pretty straightforward. Power-Con is NOT run by a non-profit entity. It's a business venture. Although this is bad news for collectors, who have been asked to buy figures they didn't necessarily want year after year in order to get the ones they did want, it's good news for those who stand to profit from the convention.

The source material I was referring to was the cartoon kids grew up watching.

They don't need to fit with the others because these represent the filmation cartoon, the other ones don't. The other figures are just updated versions of the original toy line.

There are a dozen or two filmation-inspired figures in the Classics line. This line will not go with any of those, with the possible exception of Orko and Kowl and Razz and Broom.

imo detail does not necessarily equal better. In fact detail can often times just cover up what is already a good design or disguise something that's bad. This is likely why Liefeld covers all his characters in as many pouches as he can.

On the other hand Filmation He-Man looks like he's wearing a yellow chamois mop on his head.

V. Staples:

"Another thing to consider, that hasn't been explained yet, is these figures are happening because of Power-Con. They were not planned by MattyCollector. This is why they are outside of MattyCollector.com. These were never going to be a subscription figure or MattyCollector convention exclusive. Their creation and production is a Power-Con expense, and the money from the sales of the exclusives goes back into Power-Con."

Umm, no. Sorry but, what a crock.

From someone who constantly cries poverty, I doubt he is flipping the bill for 3 different figures to go into production. Mattel is more than happy to make some repaints for a con that will help promote and sell MOTU products, and I'm sure Mattel is getting a hefty percentage from the sales of the exclusive figures.

T
V. Staples:

"Another thing to consider, that hasn't been explained yet, is these figures are happening because of Power-Con. They were not planned by MattyCollector. This is why they are outside of MattyCollector.com. These were never going to be a subscription figure or MattyCollector convention exclusive. Their creation and production is a Power-Con expense, and the money from the sales of the exclusives goes back into Power-Con."

Umm, no. Sorry but, what a crock.

From someone who constantly cries poverty, I doubt he is flipping the bill for 3 different figures to go into production. Mattel is more than happy to make some repaints for a con that will help promote and sell MOTU products, and I'm sure Mattel is getting a hefty percentage from the sales of the exclusive figures.

I have to agree. By using October Toys as a refference here, their one Baron Dark needed $50,000 for production, and its a 3 314 figure. So I would assume thats double for one figure from Mattel. Borrowing their staff and productions companies, I highly doubt Power-Con runners are able to fork out what I assume would be over $150,000 for maybe 1,000-1,500 of each figure. Even if they are a smaller production run, at say 500-1000, with over seas shippjng and production, I still don't see them shelling out $100,000 when they would break even at the Shows retail price.
I Imagibe each figure would be $30 and Granymyr is $80.

T

I have to agree. By using October Toys as a refference here, their one Baron Dark needed $50,000 for production, and its a 3 314 figure. So I would assume thats double for one figure from Mattel. Borrowing their staff and productions companies, I highly doubt Power-Con runners are able to fork out what I assume would be over $150,000 for maybe 1,000-1,500 of each figure. Even if they are a smaller production run, at say 500-1000, with over seas shippjng and production, I still don't see them shelling out $100,000 when they would break even at the Shows retail price.

A lot of that cost of Baron Dark is the tooling cost which is already paid for by Mattel. That said there's no way that a convention would be footing the cost of producing three figures like that. As it is a large amount of their money needs to go into the con itself.

A lot of that cost of Baron Dark is the tooling cost which is already paid for by Mattel. That said there's no way that a convention would be footing the cost of producing three figures like that. As it is a large amount of their money needs to go into the con itself.

True. But, we are still talking development, paint deco, production cost, package design and printing, shipping and handeling, receiving, then shipping to a home base or show, and then storage for those figures. We are easily over $100,000 right there. Not even talking about event cost, with venues, permits, zoning, security, parking, possible marketing/advertising. This show could easily be a $75,000 show before the figures. Mattel is obviously throwing them a bone here. I understand the publicity to keep the buyers pumping so the line can continue. But, you have to keep the majority of your buyers happy, an I know a fraction of them will be at this show. That leaves a heep load of unhappy, unattending fans that want these figures. So, in the long run, Mattel is costing themselves money here.

T

Speaking of Skeletons Warriors....next character GRIMSKULL kickstarter starts late this month/early August and he looks bad arse

CJkDgXyVEAAyFKz.jpg large.jpeg11385245_491504471033826_1347257748_n.jpg

Grimskull is awesome! Really looking forward to that. Sounds like they are going to try to get the Titan Guards made again. I really hope, with the amazing Baron Dark figure in people's hands, more people will jump on board the next Skeleton Warriors Kickstarter.

Back to MOTU.... looking at next year, it's going to be an EXPENSIVE but amazing year. I need to probably refocus my collecting a bit from some other lines to free up some money for all the MOTU goodness that's coming. Also excited to get back to PowerCon next year. I don't have a ton of vacation time but I'm definitely saving up some for that.

Back