Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mega bloks MOTU to be revealed (came from Mega bloks themselves)....looks like Castle Greyskull....can't wait for these

11737822_556170747871637_4557549571440334163_n.jpg

W
Now that's high praise. I hope Mattel is listening. :)
Gerald Parel has done some of the finest MOTU art out there at the moment I think. He's the guy who did that print that came with the special edition of the art book and does great Conan covers for Dark Horse.

Yeah, Gerald Parel is great too. I also love that "Deimos Art" stuff (you've probably seen it), although it's not official art.

You guys get what MOTU is about. :clap

Dare looks as awful as I expected.

I love LL Skeletor. I can't explain why, I just do. Mostly it's the face. The hood was executed poorly

LP He-Man is kind of boring, just like the original. At least he has a new head.

FF He-Man is REALLY boring. Too bad they're using that old head sculpt instead of the vintage style one. Not worth picking up as is.

TC Skeletor is just okay. They didn't do anything interesting with him.

Dragstor is fine, a bit boring compared to his more freakish compatriots in the Horde

Perfuma looks ridiculous

Prahvus and Chooblah look silly (true to the original design). Veena turned out well though.

BS Hordak is a nice clean Hordak, but also mostly redundant.

Saurod is great, love his colors and sculpt

Talon Fighter is amazing! Probably the only thing I'm going to buy from this group

Yeah, I'm not sure why, but many of these figures are huge missed opportunities. There just isn't any consistency in this line. Some figures are NECA detailed and some have virtually NO detail. Some figures are straight up vintage figure clones while some show a little originality and creativity that sets it apart from the vintage figure.

Continuing to use the older classic He-Man head is just wrong, Same with the older Skeletor Head. They should be using the Alcala Skeletor head and vintage style He-Man head as the new standards IMO. If they vac metalized FF He-Man's armor and accessories and gave him the new head, he'd be a winner. TC Skeletor and FF He-Man are just so lackluster, I'm not even sure I want either of them.

That Hordak is nice and would make a perfect replacement for the original classics version, but passing it off as BUZZ SAW HORDAK is right up there with the insult called DARE. I wonder what this line up would look like if Neitlich had left Mattel two years earlier.

It's interesting to see how different collectors are. I see a lot of complaining that the vintage figures are too close to their original design, as if that's a bad thing. For me, that's the very thing that makes them awesome. I don't want them to get creative or do something unique. This is why Mattel can't please everyone. The very things some of you are criticizing them for are the very things I am praising them for. Different strokes and all that I guess.

If they have the deal with WB we hopefully will get more MOTU movie figures!! :pray:

oh yeah! Good call. :)

Yeah, Gerald Parel is great too. I also love that "Deimos Art" stuff (you've probably seen it), although it's not official art.

You guys get what MOTU is about. :clap

oh and Dave Rapoza too as he is the one designing the Mondo 1:6 MOTU figures which I am very excited about. I am not fan of Deimos' stuff but I know fans like his work. :)

Consistency is the issue. If they made ALL the figures look exactly like the vintage ones, it would be fine. That's clearly not the case here. So since they are not staying true to any particular rule, and sculpting figures the way they want, fans are free to wonder (and complain) as to why certain figures do get stellar treatment and some don't. Like BS Hordak, he wasn't given any creative treatment to set him apart from the other 20 Hordaks that we already have. Makes me wonder if Mattel is influencing the 4H's work. I'm sure if it was solely up to the 4H, they would have made an awesome Buzz Saw Hordak with a saw blade theme, The 4H would have at least given him the correct belt and undies. I'm inclined to think Buzz Saw Hordak was made entirely in house, because he's a clear cut case of them not wanting to tool anything else except for his new torso and whatever blade he might have inside. How's that for a conspiracy theory? ;)

Consistency is the issue. If they made ALL the figures look exactly like the vintage ones, it would be fine. That's clearly not the case here. So since they are not staying true to any particular rule, and sculpting figures the way they want, fans are free to wonder (and complain) as to why certain figures do get stellar treatment and some don't. Like BS Hordak, he wasn't given any creative treatment to set him apart from the other 20 Hordaks that we already have. Makes me wonder if Mattel is influencing the 4H's work. I'm sure if it was solely up to the 4H, they would have made an awesome Buzz Saw Hordak with a saw blade theme, The 4H would have at least given him the correct belt and undies. I'm inclined to think Buzz Saw Hordak was made entirely in house, because he's a clear cut case of them not wanting to tool anything else except for his new torso and whatever blade he might have inside. How's that for a conspiracy theory? ;)

But...the original BS Hordak was essentially just the original Hordak with a chest gimmick. I don't think you're wrong for wanting something different or unique with BS Hordak, but I'm just trying to point out there are people like me who don't want it to be different. I want them to stick to the vintage designs for vintage figures. So in this case they made me happy, but they didn't make you happy. If they had made you happy then I wouldn't have been happy. There have been plenty of figures (even vintage) that I have been disappointed in because I feel they gave them too much of a 200X vibe. But I also realize there are other collectors who prefer that. Like I said, they can't please everyone.

"But...the original BS Hordak was essentially just the original Hordak with a chest gimmick"

Yes and no. Vintage BS Hordak has more than just a chest gimmick. He has a different loin piece, or belt (as mentioned several times already). Mattel clearly didn't feel that new tooling was required for just a different belt AKA cost cutting.

" I see a lot of complaining that the vintage figures are too close to their original design, as if that's a bad thing. For me, that's the very thing that makes them awesome. I don't want them to get creative or do something unique. This is why Mattel can't please everyone. The very things some of you are criticizing them for are the very things I am praising them for."

Maybe some of the complaining and criticizing you refer to is due to the fact we already have more than enough same tooling Hordak variants, and It would have been nice to make this particular one different instead of just another repaint from an aesthetics point of view. Regardless of the new torso, he still looks like a regular Hordak. The same complaining could be applied to many other figures in this line besides Hordak.

Yes and no. Vintage BS Hordak has more than just a chest gimmick. He has a different loin piece, or belt (as mentioned several times already). Mattel clearly didn't feel that new tooling was required for just a different belt AKA cost cutting.

Yes, the crotch piece was different, but it was still a silver belt with black loincloth/undies. That's a very subtle difference. Of course I would have preferred if Mattel had sculpted a new piece to match the vintage figure, but it's not as if using the standard crotch piece makes him look completely different.

Maybe some of the complaining and criticizing you refer to is due to the fact we already have more than enough same tooling Hordak variants
Who gets to decide how much is "more than enough" Hordak variants? You?

It would have been nice to make this particular one different instead of just another repaint from an aesthetics point of view.

For you maybe, but not for me ;)

Regardless of the new torso, he still looks like a regular Hordak.

Classics BS Hordak looks like Classics Hordak because vintage BS Hordak looks like vintage Hordak. And that's the way I prefer it. I completely understand that you do not. On this we are likely never to agree. But that's OK because I'm sure there have been figures released that you loved that I may have hated and that's cool too. Mattel can't please everybody with every figure. You win some and you lose some.

The same complaining could be applied to many other figures in this line besides Hordak.

I guess some people just want different things out of this line. Which has been my point all along.

The only thing I'm not liking about Dragstor (one of my favorite vintage figures) is that the colors don't really match the vintage figure and I think all the black on the chest doesn't look as good.

Not too long now for what should be many reveals at SDCC's Mattypalooza panel!

Yes, the crotch piece was different, but it was still a silver belt with black loincloth/undies. That's a very subtle difference. Of course I would have preferred if Mattel had sculpted a new piece to match the vintage figure, but it's not as if using the standard crotch piece makes him look completely different.

Who gets to decide how much is "more than enough" Hordak variants? You?

For you maybe, but not for me ;)

Classics BS Hordak looks like Classics Hordak because vintage BS Hordak looks like vintage Hordak. And that's the way I prefer it. I completely understand that you do not. On this we are likely never to agree. But that's OK because I'm sure there have been figures released that you loved that I may have hated and that's cool too. Mattel can't please everybody with every figure. You win some and you lose some.

I guess some people just want different things out of this line. Which has been my point all along.

"It's interesting to see how different collectors are. I see a lot of complaining that the vintage figures are too close to their original design, as if that's a bad thing. For me, that's the very thing that makes them awesome. I don't want them to get creative or do something unique. This is why Mattel can't please everyone. The very things some of you are criticizing them for are the very things I am praising them for. Different strokes and all that I guess."

You really aren't making any point, just complaining about other people's complaining in a passive/aggressive round about way as indicated in bold.

Also you contradict yourself when you say...

"there are people like me who don't want it to be different. I want them to stick to the vintage designs for vintage figures."

Then say...

"Yes, the crotch piece was different, but it was still a silver belt with black loincloth/undies. That's a very subtle difference. Of course I would have preferred if Mattel had sculpted a new piece to match the vintage figure, but it's not as if using the standard crotch piece makes him look completely different."

So essentially you have a double standard. You don't like the figures unless they are 100% true to the vintage figures, and yet you do like the figures even if less than 10% of that figure is inaccurate to the vintage figure. AND it's okay because it's still a silver belt so it's close enough. WOW.

"but it's not as if using the standard crotch piece makes him look completely different."

Umm... okay. LOL!

The whole Mattel having Thundercats may be BS guys.

The only thing I'm not liking about Dragstor (one of my favorite vintage figures) is that the colors don't really match the vintage figure and I think all the black on the chest doesn't look as good.
Not too long now for what should be many reveals at SDCC's Mattypalooza panel!

I think we need to see a full turn around as I am not feeling it either.

Ain't that the truth. Whenever I compare a MOTUC figure against a Figma, the MOTUC figure generally loses. Just look at Figma Saber 2.0! I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Don't the Figma figures cost $50-60. I'm sure if MOTUC were in that price range we could get some more accessories and better paint apps too. :lol

The whole Mattel having Thundercats may be BS guys.

Eamon, are you saying this just because nothing has been revealed yet? If so Mattel is probably holding this announcement until the panel this afternoon. I'm not saying it's anything more than a rumor at this point, but we'll know for sure in a few hours.

I am less than impressed by the second half of Club Eternia 2015 so far. There are clearly faults with some of these figures that many of you have already highlighted. I think the character selection is one of my main issues, but we knew these guys were coming and Mattel sort of painted themselves into a corner with all the variants they promised to get to by the end of the year. Dare is just the bad cherry on top of a spoiled sundae here. I honestly consider him a concept He-man variant even though I know he's a unique character.

In contrast I think the Club 200X figures just blow these guys out of the water. The sculpts and all the unique tooling really make these stand out and the production samples look impressive from what I've seen. I can't wait to get them! :yess:

That would be a major bummer. Classic Thundercats by the Four Horsemen makes perfect sense. The Bandai attempt was pitiful and so short-lived. Maybe someday we will get these.

Back